PDA

View Full Version : One handgun...

ƒORTE
October 9, 2008, 11:50 PM
I have a buddy who likes guns but doesn't own any other than a shotgun. He goes with me to shoot sometimes and wants a handgun for the range, car, house, etc.(Btw he is experienced with autos just doesn't own one.) Not like you or me...he wants one handgun for everything. Recommendations...

predecessor
October 10, 2008, 12:10 AM
The Medusa Model 47: chambers, fires, and extracts 25 different cartridges in the .38/9mm/.357 ammunition range.

http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Revolvers/Medusa_Model_47.jpg

Can't think of a more versatile handgun. Can't think of one much harder to find as well :mad:

Anybody know when they stopped making this or how many they made?

HKFan9
October 10, 2008, 12:52 AM
You didn't really give us any criteria to even suggest anything to have him try out.

Is he a poly guy, or steel & wood guy?

Does he want a .45, 9mm, .40SW, 10mm, .22lr?

Does he want DAO, SAO, DA/SA?

It can go 1000 ways the way you asked lol no offense.

I'd say my favorite all around caliber is 9mm, can be a great defensive round, and very affordable for range shooting.

Choices in particular firearms?

I'd say a fullsize anything if he wasnt worried about CCW

Sig 226
Glock 17, maybe the longslide even
HK USP (what I chose)
1911 in 9mm unless he can afford .45
Beretta 92/ Storm
Kahr
CZ-75
EAA Witness (had my eye on the Elite Match model, very affordable)
S&W M&P
S&W steel frame autos
Sig P6 trade in are great deals

NormOps
October 10, 2008, 01:00 AM
I am assuming the criteria was one handgun for everything; in other words, versatility.
Not that that makes it any easier.

Really, you need to talk to this friend of yours, and impress upon him the advantages of having two or more hand guns, for psycological, emotional, and logical reasons.:D

How about a .357 4" barrel revolver?
CCW compatible, has enough punch, and shoots .38 SP as well, which I believe is less expensive for practice.

The other suggestion would be a .45 auto.

ƒORTE
October 10, 2008, 01:26 AM
Yeah that Medusa is pretty cool.

Just spoke to him. My friend isn't a virgin to autos also he doesn't want a revolver. He has shot .45s and liked the recoil. Also liked the quickness and follow up ability of 9mm. As far as all metal or plastic...he doesn't care. Wants something high capacity with an exposed hammer. How bout giving your recommendations in each caliber...9mm/.40/.45/10mm as well as your most recommended for the parameters given- range/outdoors/home/travel/sd.

HKFan9
October 10, 2008, 01:51 AM
I mean most I stated come in the 3 basic calibers 9mm, .40SW, and .45.

For .45 you really cant beat a 1911.
Para makes Hi-cap 1911's
SW makes some nice 1911
Springfield
Colt

Another .45 to consider would be the HK 45 or HK USP
You have one so he can see if he likes your compact

I'm not to familiar with .40 SW so I'll leave that to someone else.

10mm
Dan Wesson 1911
EAA Witness
DAO non exposed hammer Glock 20/29

10mm's are great, but $$$ for range use.

9mm.... the options are endless almost.

My favorite HK USP
Sig p226 (both those have exposed hammer, DA/SA, which i think is good for an all around firearm)

Beretta 92 also exposed hammer

CZ-75 another exposed hammer
EAA witness another exposed hammer

All the ones I mentioned would be good recommendations, he needs to head to a local store and feel some, look at prices ect.

BT100
October 10, 2008, 02:08 AM
What a horrible thing, he only owns a shotgun:confused:

GunDisaster
October 10, 2008, 02:59 AM
Handguns are very personal weapons. So he would best served to handle some pistols and see which fits him best. But I would go with either a 9mm or 45acp pistol, either full size or compact, if i could only have one. Here are some ideas though:

1. 1911 45acp
2. Beretta 92FS 9mm
3. Sig P228 9mm
4. Sig P220 45acp
5. HK USP 9mm or 45acp
6. HK45 45acp
7. Glock 19 9mm
8. CZ75 9mm
9. Springfield XD 9mm or 45acp
10. Browning Hi-Power 9mm

ƒORTE
October 10, 2008, 03:11 AM
He uses this one shotgun for hunting various fowl(duck,turkey, quail) as well as bigger game(whitetails, hog). Also serves bedside/truck duty. Always said it was all he ever needed. I believe it, the guy is like a surgeon when it comes to that thing...never misses. Of course then he lived in the BFE(pop 20,000), now he's just south of Birmingham(metro pop. 1million). Wants something in addition that is a little smaller for urban living.

CZ-75 is something Im not too familar with...heard they were highly accurate though. Have to check 'em out for myself as well. That goes for the Highpowers too.

darkgael
October 10, 2008, 04:16 AM
"he wants one handgun for everything"
Does that "everything" - range/outdoors - include hunting?
Pete

dchi
October 10, 2008, 05:29 AM
A good 4" .357 is about the best and most versitile pistol there is. The only thing it doesn't do well is concealed carry but no full size gun is great for that. Compacts carry well but aren't as fun or as easy to shoot well with. Conceealed carry should not be his priority. handgun safety, marksmanship and care is, especially since this will be his first gun. A 4" revolver is accurate and with a 3 lbs single action trigger and adjustable sights, it easier to get good at than most autos. This is important to build confidense. A smaller gun can be purchease for concealed carry later if he feels the need. For home protection and travel protection in the car, the .357 will do great. Last thing, i saw alot of recommendations for .45 auto, if he is well trained and responsible, that would be fine but revolvers are always the best choice for the 1st time handgun owner. Also how much pratice will he get with a .45 when ammo cost $20 a box? .38's can be had for about $13 and will work fine in a .357.

BanditSRT8
October 10, 2008, 06:53 AM
Glock 19 will cover any need he has except hunting.

Home defense, CCW, toss under seat in car, toss on boat, making sandcastles on a rainy day, tossing a salad, grand theft auto, walking the dog, jogging, painting the house, going to the bathroom, going to the ATM, checking the pressure in his tires, colonoscopy, tossing the opening pitch at a local baseball game.....

You get the point.

ƒORTE
October 10, 2008, 07:41 AM
tossing a salad
God...I hope your not referencing Chris Rock here:D

I appreciate the suggestions people. He did say that he wanted a high cap semi-auto w/ an exposed hammer. So that rules out glock and .357s. He may very well try to take a buck with whatever he gets, once proficient.

Tommy Vercetti
October 10, 2008, 07:47 AM
hard to go wrong with a Ruger P-90 .45ACP

not a hard kicker, inexpensive, fun to shoot

what's not to like?

Keltyke
October 10, 2008, 07:48 AM
For me:

In revolvers - S&W Model 19 4"
In pistols - Steyr M-A1 in .40 S&W

That being said, it's almost impossible to pick ONE gun for EVERY duty.

Sevens
October 10, 2008, 09:16 AM
My friend isn't a virgin to autos also he doesn't want a revolver. He has shot .45s and liked the recoil. Also liked the quickness and follow up ability of 9mm. As far as all metal or plastic...he doesn't care. Wants something high capacity with an exposed hammer. How bout giving your recommendations in each caliber...9mm/.40/.45/10mm as well as your most recommended for the parameters given- range/outdoors/home/travel/sd.
You didn't say anything about finances-- $$ typically matters to us all, some more than the rest. For me, $$ means a lot, so I don't want cheap but I do want a lot of value and I won't spend the extra $$$ if it's not warranted. Without knowing what your buddy feels, I'll go with how I would do it for myself.

9mm--needing an exposed hammer, I'd go with a used, 3rd generation S&W. They don't make them anymore, but they are built like tanks and also hi-cap if you want it, with exposed hammer. Second choice would be one of the Ruger P-series pistols in 9mm. Uses-- good for home defense, good for range toy fun, no good for much else. Not good for carry (too large) not good for hunting (inappropriate caliber).

.45--same thing, I'd go with a 3rd gen S&W, like the 4506. Big, beefy, easy to shoot because it's huge and heavy. Great for home defense, great caliber for defense, and will last for generations if taken care of. Again, a Ruger P-series for a second choice. Not good for carry (too large), great for range fun and practice. Not good for hunting, caliber isn't appropriate. Not hi-cap.

.40, 10mm, for a guy who owns no handguns and only wants one, I wouldn't bother with either. I also wouldn't send him out looking for a 1911 as his only handgun. IMO, there's too many pitfalls for a "non-handgun guy" with regards to looking for a 1911. You need to spend more or do some stroking to make a 1911 work well, I love them to death and I wish I had a dozen of them, but for a non-handgun person, it's something you tinker with later. A 3rd gen Smith or a Ruger P-series does not care if you have Wilson Combat magazines or the appropriate weight recoil spring. It doesn't need a feed ramp polish to properly function with all ammo, it doesn't beg for a beavertail grip safety install, it doesn't get carried cocked & locked (again IMO, for advanced enthusiasts) and for all those reasons, save a 1911 for when he gets the bug.

vytoland
October 10, 2008, 09:39 AM
S&W model 686, .357 magnum. Hunt, target practice, home defense, carry. One stop shopping in a good to go package. :D

have him get out to a target range and test fire some rented guns. it may help to narrow the decision.

Kurt+P+
October 10, 2008, 11:44 AM
Right now I own a couple of handguns and a rifle. My favorite is still the first one I bought which is a Ruger stainless steel 4 inch .357 magnum (model # GP 100). It's literally a blast! The thing is built like a tank. Mine came with the older style rubber grip with wood panel inserts which I happen to think look great. I believe the newer ones coming out now have the hogue style grip. I have so much fun with this gun at the range. It doubles as a home defense weapon as well. I'd recommend it to anybody.

Saab1911
October 10, 2008, 12:00 PM
He should get a 1911 chambered in 45 ACP.

azredhawk44
October 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
He did say that he wanted a high cap semi-auto w/ an exposed hammer. So that rules out glock and .357s. He may very well try to take a buck with whatever he gets, once proficient.

--High Capacity format: > 10 rounds.
--Exposed Hammer: No striker systems.
--Hunt a Deer Successfully: Cartridge power is important.

I wouldn't deliberately hunt with an automatic unless it was a 10mm. I've got 9mm and 45acp autos and I might go after a javelina with one, but I'd rather use a revolver in the safe out of responsibility and ease of kill.

So, 10mm with an exposed hammer and high capacity?

EAA Witness.

http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns.html

Steel frame, polymer frame, compact or standard sized. Stainless or blued. Lots of options. Designed after the CZ-75 platform, very reliable and strong. Inexpensive, too, but by no means poor quality.

lee n. field
October 10, 2008, 12:56 PM
Not like you or me...he wants one handgun for everything. Recommendations...

XD or Glock. Point, click, works.

ilbob
October 10, 2008, 02:32 PM
Everything - meaning what?

If he wants a revolver, I think a 4" DA .357 magnum is a good choice as an "all-in-one" gun. Small enough to be carried concealed. A pretty decent SD weapon, especially with the right ammo. Not so good for hunting anything as big as a deer though.

If he includes hunting in "everything", maybe a .44 magnum, but than the CC part is pretty tough except with a shoulder holster.

alloy
October 10, 2008, 04:01 PM
outside the gun world, my experience has always been that anything that does everything...doesnt do anything well.

i would downsize everything a few notches, and then have fun picking something.

spodwo
October 10, 2008, 04:16 PM
Overall? I concur with the "a good 4" .357 is about the best". Solid. Dependable. Can shoot a very wide myriad of loads including target wadcutters up to a 158 g. hot loaded mag. Simple to use, clean.

http://www.a-human-right.com/s_38ammo.jpg

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/9641-2/L_frame_06.jpg

ƒORTE
October 10, 2008, 04:19 PM
Alright well let's take out the hunting aspect since he still has his trusty scattergun. Let's say mainly SD for car/home/outdoors(reports of black bears only once every five years or so in central Bama). Also setting a price ceiling of $700(I know this rules out the Hks and 1911s). I plan on getting an FNP.45 USG once I shoot one(and if I like it). He has bigger hands than I do so he shouldn't have a problem with it...I may rec that one for .45(and/or a P345), still up in the air concerning 9mm(have been pushing a Glock on him). Btw he has shot my .357s and although likes em wants at least 12+1 of something.

maestrorog
October 10, 2008, 04:42 PM
With the given requirements... semi-auto with exposed hammer, high capacity magazine, and versatility of use; my suggestion would be the Beretta Px-4 in either 9mm or .40 SW. It meets the above mentioned requirements, but also has a intergrated rail to attach lights/lasers to allow use of both hands without having to negotiate a flash light in your weak hand; which is great to have ready to go when you're waking from a heavy sleep after things go bump in the night. It also comes with multiple inserts to change out the feel of the grip so to find the most comfortable fit. It is a service grade size but it is not too large that it can't be concealed without too much difficulty. Also the magazines are interchangle with the Cx-4 if he were to be in the market for a carbine in the future.

otter7467
October 10, 2008, 05:49 PM
My first pick for the price would be a xdm (19+1) but since you said no striker fire a berretta 92 would be a nice balance of what he is looking for.

dchi
October 11, 2008, 06:01 AM
Well since he knows what he wants, let him pick.

varoadking
October 11, 2008, 07:26 AM
I've a failry representative collection of various handgun pieces.

A Glock 22 in .40S&W is reliable and versatile, and among my personal favorites.

With a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel, (.357SiG barrels work as well) you should have the bases covered well within the $700.00 budget, and likely some money left over for a few goodies.

HK123
October 11, 2008, 01:05 PM
If I could only have one gun and nothing more, I'd have my HK45. IMO nothing out there compares to the combination of power (.45acp), reliability, accuracy, comfort, low recoil, and weight.

It's like the 1911 of the 21st century to me.

Tommy Vercetti
October 11, 2008, 04:14 PM
it always amazes me how many blissful people weigh in with their opinions without having read the first few posts

Old Gaffer
October 11, 2008, 11:06 PM
If he has a hard ceiling of $700 he could still pick up a Taurus PT1911. This may be the only gun in his price range with a forges frame and slide, I'm not sure about this.

I just found a used one for $450, shot it at an outdoor range to test before buying, and couldn't wait to plunk down cash. It fed flawlessly, ejected cleanly, and shot a little high and right of point-of-aim (using sub-six hold).

The shooting to the right was fixed with a little percussion tuning in the rear sight; the shooting high may well be my own unfamiliarity with the Heinie Straight-eight sights.

Anyhow, I think the Taurus PT1911 is worth a look.

My REAL suggestion is to take him to a range that rents guns and let him shoot a bunch, THEN decide for himself.

Have I mentioned the Taurus PT1911?

All the best,
Rob

HK123
October 11, 2008, 11:18 PM
it always amazes me how many blissful people weigh in with their opinions without having read the first few posts

The OP said this
I have a buddy who likes guns but doesn't own any other than a shotgun. He goes with me to shoot sometimes and wants a handgun for the range, car, house, etc.(Btw he is experienced with autos just doesn't own one.) Not like you or me...he wants one handgun for everything. Recommendations...

So tell me exactly how you think I didn't read THAT!? It said NOTHING. It's not my fault the OP didn't provide any details whatsoever and I replied directly to the original question.

Give me a break :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rob96
October 13, 2008, 03:17 AM
Given the criteria of an exposed hammer, I would have to say a 1911, Ruger P345or P90, or one of the S&W autos in whichever caliber.

DGlock
October 13, 2008, 06:01 AM
Sig..........

spodwo
October 13, 2008, 07:03 AM
Sig...226 and in .40 S&W. It fits the price point - and is a very good cartridge. Easy to take care of, clean and later down the road - he can get a .22 conversion kit to burn up a lot of ammo for a much more reduced cost.

http://www.sigsauer.com/images/catalog/product/226R.jpg

In pistols I have shot the 9s, the .40s and the 45s. I think the .40 is a great cartridge.

The one below is 699.00 and comes with the light:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/1608/931371831/pop_wm_927070.jpg

There are some mint Sig 220s in .45 for under $700.00 also...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/99736/991841245/pop_wm_1017134.jpg

Salty1
October 13, 2008, 07:12 PM
I would just pick up a Sig P6, there are lots of them around for $300, former German Police guns. The one I just picked up had a manufacturer date on 1979 and I doubt it even had 100 rounds through it. It did have some holster wear which will be taken care of with some custom refinishing. When all is said and done I will have $500 into it. It is a 8 +1 so it may not have enough capacity, the P6's are the best value on the market today and since he will be spending so little he will have some more $$$$ when the addiction hits him.

Tommy Vercetti
October 13, 2008, 08:24 PM
So tell me exactly how you think I didn't read THAT!? It said NOTHING. It's not my fault the OP didn't provide any details whatsoever and I replied directly to the original question.

Give me a break

I did, I didn't single you out, I apologize if your feathers got ruffled from my post :D

back on topic how about a Ruger .40?

ƒORTE
October 15, 2008, 05:35 PM
Have marinated on all the feedback. Will be going to Bham to help him w/ his purchase this wkd. He will hold every model suggested in his threshold. Once he picks something, I may ask you guys to help locate a good online deal. Thanks fellas.

Smaug
October 15, 2008, 06:25 PM
I'd probably steer him towards a nice 4" barreled 357 Magnum. There isn't much that can't be done with that. If it doesn't have to be concealed or the wife can handle a heavier barrel, the 6" would be even better, as it would open up hunting opportunities too.

If it has to be an auto, probably a Glock 21SF or a 21 if he has large hands.

If that isn't his style, then a good basic 1911.

If he is only going to have one gun, (I'll believe it when I see it) the cost of 45 ACP ammo won't be an issue. ;)

Crimp
October 16, 2008, 10:59 AM
Ruger 4" GP100.