PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 CreedMoor vs the .260 Rem.

5RWill
October 9, 2008, 09:49 PM
K guys i got a .260 remington on the way in a kimber. My next rifle is going to be a long range AR-10. The creed more has my attention, i know that it's almost identical to the .260. But which one is actually faster? My AR will be a 6.5 bullet either way wether it be the 6.5 grendal or the creedmoor. Some reviews say the Creedmoor isn't as fast as the .260 others say it is faster. So which one is it? Or since i have a .260 do i just get a .223 something fun to shoot.

George Hill
October 9, 2008, 11:02 PM
I'll take the .260 Remington. You can actually find ammo for it on the shelf at most decent gun shops.
Reloading is fine - ordering online is fine. But sometimes you just need a box quick. Being able to actually get it at short notice is a bonus.

And it shoots great.

dchi
October 10, 2008, 05:58 AM
Well since you have one .260, you might as well get another one. You'll probably wind up reloading if you don't already. 260 is a bit hard to find and exspensive. With a semi auto, 100 rounds in a day or more will be easy to do in little time. But you should know that all published data for the .260 is on the high side. Most all factory ammo is cronographing at 2400-2600 FPS even out of 24" barrels. That's nearly 200 FPS less than what remington claims. Reloaders are not getting much more even with lighter 120 gr bullets. If i got one, it would be the 6.5 creed. Its designed to be use in the AR10 mags which limited the bullet seating depth, the 6.5 short cases that let you seat the bullets out far close to the lands, also its designed for maximum efficentcy use of powder capicity and velocity. Last but very important it was designed to be easily reloaded and to make small extream spreads.

lmccrock
October 10, 2008, 10:29 AM
An article here: 6.5mm Shootout: .260 Remington vs. 6.5x47 Lapua vs. 6.5 Creedmoor (http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/). Note these are long barrels, and high dollar hardware.

Lee

5RWill
October 10, 2008, 02:16 PM
Well i do reload so finding ammo isn't a problem. I was thinking with the longer case the .260 would be faster. But i've read that hornady has some kind of new powder in the creedmoor, put that in the .260 rem and it should exceed the creedmoor. I had picked a DPMS AR but they are a pretty penny for what i want on it. Thinking About a bushmaster now.

stubbicatt
October 10, 2008, 09:11 PM
Well i do reload so finding ammo isn't a problem. I was thinking with the longer case the .260 would be faster. But i've read that hornady has some kind of new powder in the creedmoor, put that in the .260 rem and it should exceed the creedmoor. I had picked a DPMS AR but they are a pretty penny for what i want on it. Thinking About a bushmaster now.

Hornady puts the load data on the box of cartridges. Typically they use H4350 powder. This is the same stuff you buy at the local gunshop, which is one of the attractions to the cartridge... you get the accuracy dope right there on the box for your handloads.

The issue with the 260 is that the heel of the bullet is seated deeper into the powder chamber than it is with the 6.5 Creedmoor, where with the 140 grain bullets the heel is supposedly right at the shoulder/neck junction like it ought to be, and the cartridge feeds from a 308 length magazine.

5RWill
October 11, 2008, 02:03 AM
Why exactly do you have to seat the bigger bullets so much lower?

handlerer
October 11, 2008, 03:03 AM
Well Blakops, the bigger bullet is longer, so when loaded to coal, correct overall length, the bigger longer bullet is going to extend deeper into the case, sometimes beyorn the case neck. This is why Remington catridges are really more popular with reloaders than Win. catridges. Wincester triditioanlly has gone for a few more grains of powder capacity at the expense of the case neck. The longer the case neck, the the less the bullets projects into the case body and the more concentric the bullet is in relation to the bore. I reload for 300, 340 WBY, Weatherby catridges have long case necks so long bullets do not intrude as far into the cases as say a 300 WIN MAG. 6mm REM vs 243 WIN is another example.

dchi
October 11, 2008, 06:14 AM
The 6.5 mm or .264 diameter bullets are extremly aerodynamic compared to .22 and .30 bullets with the same profile but they are extremly long too. The 140gr bullets look like pencils. You loose alot of powder space when loading these in 260/308 cases unless you seat them far out. That won't be possible in a semi auto military magazine. Also I believe the 6.5 grendel is designed for the AR15 and their shorter magazines. It may not work in an AR10.