PDA

View Full Version : O Happy Day!

JKHolman
October 7, 2008, 09:48 AM
Ladies & Gentlemen,
for many months I have tried (through persuasion, not coercion) to get my older daughter to fire one of the .22 rifles. I told her that firearms are tools and not toys, and to be taken seriously at all times. While convinced that firearms are not evil, she fears their potential, and I could only ask her. Also, I had to take care not to press the point. Sunday, my brother and I were firing the Walther G-22 [I gave him just an hour earlier], when I noticed that my wife had just returned home with the girls. I gave both girls a hug and, not expecting much, asked Kellie if she would like to give it a try. To my surprise she said yes. Having held the rifle before, we went through the drill of what to expect and the responsibilities of firing a weapon [to include all hazards: both intentional and otherwise]. With true feminist determination and Palinisque resolve, my daughter prevailed. I count this a very happy event and look forward to buying her a .22 rifle of her own selection at the upcoming gun show.

cheers,
JKHolman

vytoland
October 7, 2008, 05:44 PM
Gentle nudging, in the direction you want them to go, over an extended period of time, has always worked well for me.

Especially if you can have them think that it was their idea in the first place.

Happy father/daughter shooting.

ndking1126
October 7, 2008, 09:56 PM
Depending on how old she is, a very strong arguement for shooting could be that most guys (at least that I know/knew) are ridiculously impressed by girls that can out shoot them.

My wife doesn't shoot... but my how she loves college football!! :D

LateNightFlight
October 7, 2008, 10:06 PM
Palinisque resolve

Baaaaaahahahaha! I love it!

Be careful, though. I did the same with my son. I hoped he'd become a doctor with the means to afford the very best guns and hunt clubs. But he wanted to carry a gun around all the time. Now we have to call him Officer. :eek:

Oh happy day indeed. Republicans are made, not born. Good job. ;)

Smaug
October 7, 2008, 10:57 PM
Its funny how ladies' mines work.

My wife's a doctor, and she had seen a few gunshot victims in the ER, as well as motorcycle crash victims.

Now, 5 years after we met, I've got her riding passenger on my FJR, leaning way down into the turns with me, and she got her first gun of her own last month, a Daly Hi Power.

One word of caution though. She may not be ready to become a shooter. She may have just "been in the mood" that one time. Don't get your hopes up just yet. ;)

T B Good
October 8, 2008, 10:17 PM
Years ago I had the same type of wonderful experience. I took my wife and daughter to the range. They ended up taking my 10/22 away for the whole day. Now my daughter wants Grandpa's service revolver. I know in my heart that he would love the thought that she wants Grandpa's revolver to remember him by.