PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Marlin 30-30 today...

mellow_c
October 5, 2008, 01:09 AM
So here is my story bellow. I just copy paisted it from an email I sent. I have a question about this rifle though.

Most Marlin 30-30's I see are 1894's or 1895's I think... The one I bought today is labeled as an 1870. I'm wondering if anyone knows the difference. I'm happy with my purchase either way.

Also, it came with no manual, I found on I can print out from the net. http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/MFC_Centerfire.pdf
Can anyone tell me if this manual will apply just as well to my 1870?
Thanx everyone:)

I went to a gunshow/auction today.
My friend told me about it, it wasnt as much of a gun show as it was a gun auction. I went there thinking I could find a great deal on some ammo. So I brought about $100. My friend who went with me (Best friend/guitarist/basist) Told me I could use his check card to buy a gun if I wanted and pay him back... I said "nah, I should just buy some ammo" But before I knew it, I was bidding on a gun. They had two TV's up front which they would show the items for sale on, and when they got to the "next item" it was a Marlin 336 Lever action 30-30. I didnt get a chance to look at the gun at all, I just heard them say what it was, and I saw a far away picture of it on the TV's. They started it at $125, then someone bid $150, so I raised my card and bid $175............................................and no one did anything, and I won!!!! I did NOT want to buy a gun today, but I kinda had too. it seamed like a good deal, after the tax and auction fee's it was about $200. But I think it was totally worth it. I also won an auction for 11 boxes (20 rounds each) of 30-30 ammo. All together I spent $357.00 for the gun and 220 rounds. The gun turned out to be in really good shape, a few dings in the wood stock, a little scratch or two on the metal, and it was a little dirty (had not been cleaned since shot last) BUT it seams to be in perfect working order, very smooth, and has a life time of shooting left in it!

Yellowfin
October 5, 2008, 08:24 AM
This will not be the last one you'll buy. Marlins are highly addictive.

Tommy Vercetti
October 5, 2008, 08:58 AM
you saved a bunch on ammo

last box of 20 hollowpoints I bought was $20

mellow_c
October 5, 2008, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I probably spent about $12.00 a box after the auction fees and tax...

I'd still like to know if anyone knows anything about the 1870?:confused::o

Your probably right about it not being my last Marlin! When I was at the auction there was a .357 Marlin lever action that I wanted to buy. And I actually had my eye on that first, but then the 30-30 came out of no where and I bought it. The .357 was far away on the auction list, so it would have been a while before they got to it, and I didnt have time to wait around for it. So I dont even know what it sold for, but if I had time yesterday, I may have come home with two Marlin Lever actions:D

hogdogs
October 5, 2008, 12:12 PM
May I suggest you also ask this aty the Marlin Specific forum..
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php
really well versed members. It is all marlin too so you will have great response.
Brent

Slamfire
October 5, 2008, 04:44 PM
I did a web search and found on gunbroker a M1870 Marlin in 30-30. Looks like a standard M336, don't know what makes it different.

In so far as takedown, the manual you listed is correct for a M336.

I highly recommend not taking a Marlin 336 apart unless you absolutely have to. If some part is rusted in place, or needs replacing, then go for it.

These are complicated, have a lot of parts, and you tend to scratch things, and bugger screw heads.

I have a M1894 and a M336. I found out about buggering and scratches on my M1894. The M336, I have cleaned out from the muzzle using a muzzle guide.

If it ever gets real dirty in the action, then I will take the screw out that holds the lever in the action, and remove the lever and pull the bolt. Once the bolt is out you can wipe the interior (not perfectly, but you can get a lot of gunk out), maybe blow the interior out with compressed air.

You can wipe and clean the bolt, and once the interior is wiped with powder solvent and wiped dry, I would run an oily patch on everything that I could reach.

To check to see that all screws are snug. I have had the loading spring screw get loose, and I would hate it if it dropped off. Ditto the spring band screws .

My M336 is a microgroove, shoots jacketed bullets within 4.5 inches at 100 yards. Can't push cast bullets faster than 1600 fps or I get blown groups.

mellow_c
October 5, 2008, 11:30 PM
Well, as far as I can tell so far... The 336 I have does not have a manual safety button. The only safety is by half cocking the hammer. And that seams to be the only difference between mine and the one you'd buy at walmart/ the one in the manual that I printed off the internet.

I did almost exactly what you said Slamfire1 to clean it. Thats just how the manual said to do it. It worked great. The gun is all cleaned up and looking good. I'll just have to take it shooting and get back to you all like said above. Maybe next weekend?

BusGunner007
October 6, 2008, 12:31 PM
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm/c/6

mellow_c
October 8, 2008, 12:49 AM
What can I say... I cant wait for the weekend. I really hope I get a chance to go shoot my Marlin! *sigh* so many guns and so little time. One good thing is that I found ammo at walmart for only $13 a box of 20. That comes to about $12.00 a box after my GF's discount....:D (Cheapest I've found online is about $14.00 a box plus shipping)

ericbc7
October 8, 2008, 01:49 AM
Congratulations on your new(old)rifle. I don't have an opinion on it's relative merits but I remember in 1983 laying on a grub pile in northern Minnesota trying to call fox or coyote, holding a marlin 30-30 and seeing a 4X4 buck walk 50 yards away from me with no clue. I was using the 2 bottle skunk scent cover but if it had been deer season I would not have wanted any other rifle to take that deer.

chucklej1
October 8, 2008, 01:06 PM
Mellow C may I suggest the The High Road site. There is a 336 club. They know everything else about Marlins too. It's a great forum. Someone there should be able to direct you to the right place. Here's the link to the first page. I think page 82 is the last pg. You'll see my name on there as just purchasing a 336A last night. Love it. I did almost all my research on there. Talked to a lot of nice people that helped my decision.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=398515&goto=nextoldest

Smaug
October 8, 2008, 01:58 PM
Congrats on the 336, mellow. It is a much-loved gun and probably among the most popular deer rifles in the country, if not THE most popular.

You owe your buddy a six pack of beer, I'd say. ;)

The 18XX Marlins are styled after the old cowboy guns. They have straight stocks and so forth. The 336s are more modern, with the pistol grip stock, and no option for octagonal barrels.

BusGunner007
October 8, 2008, 04:18 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=767766

EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style/Weaver-Style Base Marlin 336, 1895 Matte
Product #: 767766
Our Price: $39.99

Date Expected In-Stock: 10/18/2008

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticpages/highres/767766.jpg
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=767766#enalarge

They make these to fit the Remington 7400, too.
I'm switching out most of my old Redfield JR mounts.