PDA

View Full Version : Garand Match tips

PWK
October 3, 2008, 09:17 PM
I've taken to shooting Garand matches in the last couple of years and really enjoy the shooting, competition and fellow shooters.
A few tips (most apply to any long range shooting) I try to remember with each competition are in no particular order:
1. drop rifle slightly after each shot to make sure you are aiming at your target
2. get your thumb out quick, haven't been bitten yet and don't intend too
3. keep the sling tight on arm and around wrist
4. slllloooooowwwwww down on rapid fire, 60 and 70 seconds is a long time, will try stop watch on left wrist in future
5. keep left foot, sitting right handed, pointing at target
6. a little squirt of CLP before start competion
7. ECI & eye and ear protection
8. control your breathing

Any others, I am sure I've left out some pretty good helps/tips.

4EVERM-14
October 5, 2008, 08:26 AM
Shooting America's rifle. It doesn't get any better.
Consistant spot weld.
Breath between rapid fire shots.
Natural point of aim.
Don't rush getting into position. [How do you shoot good rapids? ] POSITION,POSITION,POSITION

jorjohn11
October 5, 2008, 07:21 PM
:DMy rules are very similar to yours except I have twice as many.
1. drop rifle slightly after each shot to make sure you are aiming at your target
2. get your thumb out quick, haven't been bitten yet and don't intend too
3. drop rifle slightly after each shot to make sure you are aiming at your target
4. keep the sling tight on arm and around wrist
5.drop rifle slightly after each shot to make sure you are aiming at your target
6. slllloooooowwwwww down on rapid fire, 60 and 70 seconds is a long time,
7. slllloooooowwwwww down on rapid fire, 60 and 70 seconds is a long time,
8. slllloooooowwwwww down on rapid fire, 60 and 70 seconds is a long time,
9.drop rifle slightly after each shot to make sure you are aiming at your target
10. keep left foot, sitting right handed, pointing at target
11.drop rifle slightly after each shot to make sure you are aiming at your target
12. a little squirt of CLP before start competion
13. ECI & eye and ear protection
14. drop rifle slightly after each shot to make sure you are aiming at your target
15. control your breathing
16. drop rifle slightly after each shot to make sure you are aiming at your target

30Cal
October 5, 2008, 08:21 PM
I've got to ask what the CLP is for. Everyone I know uses grease.

T. O'Heir
October 11, 2008, 12:41 AM
"...get your thumb out quick, haven't been bitten yet and don't intend to..." Garand thumb is operator failure. Usually happens when closing an empty rifle without having control of the op handle.
Put the clip in the rifle, Have your thumb on top facing forwards with the rest of your finger alongside the rifle against the op handle. Push down. If the action closes your thumb will be pushed up and out by the bolt.
Rule number one is to use good ammo. Not dropping the rifle.

PWK
October 11, 2008, 07:16 AM
CLP makes it a lot easier to clean.
In a Garand match you use CMP issued ammo. No choice have to shoot what you get.

lmccrock
October 11, 2008, 03:25 PM
a little squirt of CLP before start competion
Where do you squirt it? Last time (and only time) I used liquid products in an M1, the liquid blew back into my glasses while shooting. So, Tetra grease for me.

I never had M1 "thumb", but I did have an accidental slide closure on a forefinger while cleaning. Made up new words, bled on the garage floor, my wife came out to see what the commotion was about. Took almost a year for the fingernail to grow out. I recommend avoiding closing the slide on a finger.

Lee

PWK
October 11, 2008, 09:46 PM
I just spray a little in the receiver. Never had any issue with blow back of oil. CLP is thicker than RemOil and some others so maybe that inhibits it getting blown out of the receiver.

kraigwy
October 12, 2008, 11:26 AM
Any others, I am sure I've left out some pretty good helps/tips.

Yeap:

RELAX

This is a fundamental of shooting that we always seem to leave out. The USAMU in its Pistol Marksmanship guide stressing relaxing on dern near every page but it seems to be left out in rifle shooting.

The position should be comfortable. No or few mussles should be used to hold the rifle. The sling should be firm not tight. If you wrist is hurting after a few rounds you're position and sling are screwed up. Stop taking so much equipment to the firing line. I've seen people wiggle around like a snake that had been shot but no killed. Grabbing pencils, score books, stopwatches, etc.

PS;
16. drop rifle slightly after each shot to make sure you are aiming at your target

Make sure you are on your target before you shoot, not after the shot.
Have everything laid out so's you can reach them without disturbing your position between shots. The scope should be set so you can see the target by turning your head NOT getting out of position. And another pet peeve of mine is people jumping on the scope as soon as the rilfe leaves the barrel. The target frame on gonna go down, it takes a bit of time for it to be serviced and return. Take that time to rest your eyes. Don't burn them out stairing at the top of the target frame waiting for it to come up.

Another grip I have is in offhand watching people bending over to pick up ammor, write in score books, look in scopes, etc. I had distingushed hi master pistol shooters scream at people who try to police brass before the match is over. I was told that bending over screws up your balance for 20 minutes. Once you get into position stay there. Have you ammo you your shooting jacket pocket. If you need a scope have it on an extention where you can see it just by shifting your head. I personally don't see a need for a scope in offhand, you can see the spoter and scoring disk without the aid of a scope.

When I was coaching for the national guard, I wouldn't let my shooters have a scope. They only thing I allowed them to have was their score books to record calls. They could get the other info from the coaches plottng sheet.

You want to get ulsers, try coaching.

Get a copy of the USAMUs Marksmanship Service rifle guide and study it. It only cost 6.95 from the CMP Bookstore.

Main then I'm trying to say is RELAX,