PDA

View Full Version : CT Laser Grips

ShootingNut
September 29, 2008, 03:36 PM
Came today for my M&P40, installed and ready now to see if they help the "old peeper's" zero in on the old bullseye. Really am impressed with the bright red dot. It does magnify any "shakeyness" somewhat, but I'm ready to work with it to improve my target shooting! As you can tell, first Laser for me, something new to play around with.:D
Best regards,
SN

HK123
September 29, 2008, 03:53 PM
Not my thing, I prefer to look down the sights. However, I see the benefit of a laser for some people.

Enjoy

ShootingNut
September 29, 2008, 04:45 PM
Just trying them, mainly because of having to deal with eyesight.
I can see the target just fine, sights are blurry as hell on the handgun.
If I use my reading glasses, great for the sights, then the target is a big blurr.
So, unless you can figure something out, one like me cannot expect to shoot like you want.:confused:
Regards,
SN

Oldjarhead
September 29, 2008, 05:42 PM
Laser sights in low light situations help give you instant target acquisition. Unless you have tritium night sights, you may not be able to use your iron sights. Laser sights aren't perfect, as their batteries can fail, but laser sights for use in combat situations are a very valuable tool. Not to mention the psychological effect of the bad guy seeing a red dot on his body. Surrender is usually a perfered option. I have CT Laser grips on my Taurus 650 .357 magnum, and on my Kimber Ultra Covert .45acp. In a gunfight, I might concentrate on the threat, instead of my front sight which is a common occurrence. I want all the edge I can get. Lord knows my enemy will use everything to his advantage. Shouldn't you?

Shawn Dodson
September 29, 2008, 06:45 PM
When your finger is off the trigger and resting in where you normally place it, either on the frame or slide, does it interfere with the laser?

jaydubya
September 29, 2008, 06:59 PM
I have Crimson Trace grips on three of my handguns, Browning High Power, 637 Airweight snubby, and 686+. I would not buy a handgun for which Crimson Trace did not make grips. My reason is simple: I am old and, without my glasses, I cannot see the sights. I still practice with iron sights (wearing glasses), but my effectiveness goes up smartly when I switch on the laser.

Cordially, Jack

HK123
September 29, 2008, 07:12 PM
I can see the target just fine, sights are blurry as hell on the handgun

Focus on the sights, the target should be slightly blurry. That's how I do it, my eyes aren't very good (astigmatism). Both eyes open too.

But like I said, I can see the benefit for some people.

imthegrumpyone
September 29, 2008, 07:31 PM
Nothing like putting a DOT where it's going to hurt. :D

MACVSOG
September 29, 2008, 07:45 PM
ShootingNut

Do you have a picture of that baby? I have a P2000 and may be I will go with laser too.

MAC

LanceOregon
September 30, 2008, 04:59 AM
Do you have a picture of that baby? I have a P2000 and may be I will go with laser too.

I have the Crimson Trace installed on my M&P .40 Compact model. Here is a close-up of the laser. The unit basically replaced the backstrap grip of the gun, and is thus basically built right into the weapon. Could not be easier to install, too. No different than swapping out a different size backstrap.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/mp40c_crimson_online.jpg

And here is a rear view of the laser unit installed on my M&P 40c, which is the gun on the left. The bottom button is recessed, and is the unit's master on/off switch when you want to store it. The top button is extruded, and instantly turns the laser on when you grip the gun, and the master switch is turned on.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/MP40vsPPS_online.jpg

And here is a photo of me holding my M&P 40 compact in my hand:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/MPlaser.jpg

ShootingNut
September 30, 2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks for having the pics to post. Fits just like my full sized M&P, really nice fit looks like a factory job, no "add-on" appearance.
Shawn, no your trigger finger straight along side the gun does not interfere with the laser beam at all.
I may be adding the CT's to some of my others!;)
Regards,
SN

NRAhab
September 30, 2008, 09:25 AM
Laser grips have a lot of training uses outside of self-defense as well. While obviously useful for rapid target acquisition in a life or death scenario, you can also use them as a training aid for safe in home practice. For example, when practicing presentations from the holster, you can track the location of the dot to make sure you're not over travelling on your draw stroke, i.e. bringing the gun too high over the target and having to bring it back down to meet the target.

Another valuable use of the laser grip as a training aid is on follow-shots; but having a friend track the movement of the laser while you're shooting, you can tell by the motion of the laser if you're over-controlling for recoil and dragging the gun off target.

Don Gwinn
September 30, 2008, 12:54 PM
Shawn, mine does. I can put my finger lower and still be safe without blocking the laser, but it takes thought on my part and it's not really worth it.

I've only used the laser for dry fire a little so far, anyway, so my finger's on the trigger when it matters.

spamanon
September 30, 2008, 01:01 PM
I like the CTC's on my SIG p226.

Jager78
September 30, 2008, 01:56 PM
I really like my CT Grip on my Sig Pro 2022 .40 and only wish they made some for my HK45. They are a very good training tool and I higly recommend them to any one who has a weapon that accepts them.

Laserlips
September 30, 2008, 02:55 PM
JMOfartO:

I had CT's on my Sig P239.
I have CT's on my J-frame 638.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6347.jpg

I just installed CT's on my S&W 5906 and zeroed it in today....

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_9862.jpg

I'm a senior citizen with declining vision. I consider the fine CT Lasergrips as one of the few things a person such as myself can do to improve accuracy in a self defense firearm.

I think the concern for a "battery failure" in Crimson Trace Lasergrips is a bit misplaced. I've had CT's for years and years, and I've yet to have a failure of any kind. CT recommends you change batteries once a year (as with your home smoke detectors) and if you will do that you can flat forget battery failure.

Nothing brings a warm and fuzzy feeling quicker than seeing that red dot centered on the target.. Not sure the target would feel the same way. :D

Jesse

Dangerwing
October 1, 2008, 03:07 AM
I love CT grips, but I'm disappointed by the poor selection! I asked the owner of my local gunshop why CT doesnt make grips for any of the guns I own. He replied with a chuckle "because you don't like the bandwagon guns." With the price of each set, CT has to make a pretty big profit (and as a republican, that doesn't bother me at all) so you would think they would want to make as many options as possible. I would buy a set for every gun I have, but they just don't make them!

amd6547
October 1, 2008, 01:32 PM
I have them on my Beretta 92FS. There are alot of good deals on the discontinued LG-202 model--I got mine for $75 NIB!.
I just shot them for the first time Sunday--first time with a laser at all.
I need to zero them, the dot was high and right at 15-20yards (forgot to bring the allen wrench).
Do you sight them to hit right at POA? I was thinking it would be better to set the dot do that it was just above the front sight.
What do you guys think?

ShootingNut
October 1, 2008, 03:46 PM
CT says that the "new" laser grips for the M&P are set at the factory, for POA. So, we shall see, although I realize there are a lot of variables and one may have to adjust. I hope to get it set reasonably close, to an exact POA at 25-35 feet.
Regards,
SN
PS: I would be interested to know, from those who have one on the M&P, how it came set from CT. I believe, that each gun may vary as to how CT rates in the factory adjustment.

Alley Oop
October 1, 2008, 05:17 PM
ShootingNut, could you do a favor for me? I would like to know the distance between the center of the barrel bore and the laser light itself at the muzzle. I plan on using a suppressor on a M&P and want to know if the laser will clear the suppressor. I would appreciate it very much.

amd6547
October 1, 2008, 05:42 PM
The Beretta 92 grips I bought were also factory sighted. When I shot using only the laser, the group impacted low and left. When I ignored the laser and used the sights, I had a nice group in the bullseye--the dot was high and right.
In any case, I plan to sight it in so that the dot sits right above the front sight.

ShootingNut
October 2, 2008, 06:32 AM
Sure, will check that and get back a.s.a.p.!
Regards,
SN

ShootingNut
October 2, 2008, 03:29 PM
Looks to me to be 3/4" from bore center to laser beam, Hope this is helpful.
Regards,
SN

Alley Oop
October 2, 2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks a lot for measuring that for me. The grips should work for me then since I needed .70" for the laser to clear the suppressor.

Thanks again

ShootingNut
October 2, 2008, 06:20 PM
Your welcome, if anything I tried to be a "tad" conservative with the .75", hard to tell precisely getting the exact read on the laser spot.
Regards,
SN