PDA

View Full Version : tikka vs cz 550?

Ftom14cat
September 25, 2008, 12:23 PM
Just looking for a quick comparison...pros and cons...between a tikka t3 type rifle and a cz 550, both in .308. thanks in advance.

thinkingman
September 25, 2008, 01:08 PM
Tikka is lighter and available in stainless.
CZ controlled feed?

Tymah123
September 25, 2008, 01:23 PM
I was also looking at Tikka, why is stainless better than blued? I know it may be a dumb question but if I'm not looking to hunt in heavy rain and snow why does it matter?

sholling
September 25, 2008, 01:35 PM
My CZ experience is limited to a 453 and I'm not even a little bit impressed so far. It will be going back to CZ next week to see if they can make it shoot straight. Hopefully I'll be favorably impressed then. If not it'll get sold (with disclosure).

On the other hand I'm very impressed with my Tikkas. Smooth, accurate and well balanced.

I was also looking at Tikka, why is stainless better than blued? I know it may be a dumb question but if I'm not looking to hunt in heavy rain and snow why does it matter?Personal taste mainly. I like stainless. Plus although it can rust stainless is a bit less likely to.

Tymah123
September 25, 2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks, I like blued more, don't like the contrast between the black stock, black scope and stainless action/barrel. Appreciate your response.

I would prefer a chrome lines chamber, does Tikka have stainless chamber and if so does it have the same effect as chrome lined?

Omaha-BeenGlockin
September 25, 2008, 02:41 PM
You're only going to find chrome lining on military rifles.

10-96
September 25, 2008, 09:01 PM
I gotta pitch my vote for the CZ. I hope Sholling gets good results from CZ customer service, I guess any company can let a bad one out- but I've got numerous CZ firearms and I've always had really good luck with them.

.300 Weatherby Mag
September 25, 2008, 11:44 PM
My only complaint about the T3.. They don't make it in a true short action.....

smong2000
September 26, 2008, 07:02 AM
Tikka's T3 lites are tough to beat at any money but 6.3 lbs, < .5 MOA with good ammo and $550???;). I don't own a CZ but handled one on the range recently, classic good looks but it was heavy and not in the same class as Tikka (interpret as you want) and the owner was delighted to approach 1" with handloads. Savage is the only thing that comes close for accuracy (maybe Weatherby now) and the Tikka has the ergonomics hands down. I hated the looks initially but it grows on you after a while. The balance and trigger on my .270 makes anyone who shoots it instantly a better off-hand shot. If you remove the stock everything left is stainless and built like a tank. Stainless has another advantage that you can buff out scratches and blood stains with a scotchbrite pad. The bore on my mine came mirror polished and just doesn't copper foul. I have rifles 4X the cost but honestly think the Tikka is a much better tool...:D

wyobohunter
September 26, 2008, 11:49 PM
that's the only thing that bugs me so far too, I'll probably still get one, just can't decide between the 300 wsm and the 308 win for a mountain goat/sheep rifle. 308 is 3 oz lighter, 300 wsm is ≈400fps faster... Probably go w/the wsm for bears.

.300 Weatherby Mag
September 27, 2008, 12:14 AM
How bout a Sako A7 Stainless Steel??? They make the A7 in a true short action...