PDA

View Full Version : Need my Beretta refinished.

passintime
September 22, 2008, 11:32 AM
So, I have this Beretta M1934 .380. The gun is in amazing shape with original grips and a barrel that looks pristine. It is a WWII GI bringback with no importation marks. The bluing is probably only 65% on it. I obtained this gun and my wife FELL IN LOVE with it. It is something we have decided to keep forever, so we want to refinish it (mainly don't want exposed metal to rust). We are not worrying about the value diminishing, as it is pricesless to us and not for sale. This gun originally had the high polish bluing, and I want to find a place to put a beautiful, high polish, deep blue on this gun. I want it to be my wife's BBQ gun. I also am going to keep the original grips but find some custom ones to put on there for her. Question is this:

I want to get my Beretta M1934 model refinished with a very deep, high polish bluing. The gun has no pitting or rust. Who do ya'll recommend to do such work and how much should I look to pay? I don't want to wait 3-6 months, either.

Anybody know where I can get a nice set of grips that will make it pop once redone? Thanks!

WESHOOT2
September 22, 2008, 11:57 AM
Ask here: www.apwcogan.com

Bill DeShivs
September 22, 2008, 12:17 PM
If you keep the gun oiled, it will not rust.
I recommend against rebluing this gun.

passintime
September 22, 2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks, Bill. I understand that refinishing takes away from collector value and all that. This is something I am doing for my wife, so I am sort of set on it. If it were a $4000 1911 with only the slightest hint of holster wear, I'd reconsider. With this gun we are talking only several hundred dollars of "worth". I appreciate your post, though. I know a guy with a beautiful Ithaca .45 from WWII who wanted to have it blued....yes...BLUED. He thought it was worth the $65 he had bought it for. :eek: I could have offered him $130 to take it from him and told him he got 100% profit. Didn't have the heart to do it so I told him what he had and what it was worth at the time and he safely tucked it away. I'm doing this realizing what I am doing to it.

torpeau
September 22, 2008, 02:28 PM
I want to get my Beretta M1934 model refinished with a very deep, high polish bluing. The gun has no pitting or rust. Who do ya'll recommend to do such work and how much should I look to pay? I don't want to wait 3-6 months, either.

http://www.elitecustomguns.com/

amd6547
September 22, 2008, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't refinish, but do what you want, it's your gun!
As for the grips, I know there has been a set of genuine stag grips for the 1934 on gunbroker---just do a search there for Beretta 1934, you'll find 'em

Sixer
September 22, 2008, 03:46 PM
Here are a couple places I came across at the Sig Forum. I've made phone calls to both companies and they seem like reall good people. Im not sure if this is exactly what youre looking for, but the prices are pretty good IMHO :)

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/

http://customizedcreationz.com

passintime
September 22, 2008, 04:09 PM
I really hope I can find a good smith to do this. I really want a nice high-gloss finish. :cool:

passintime
September 22, 2008, 06:46 PM
Talked to Bob Cogan today for about 25 minutes. Super nice guy. His attitude has earned my business. Thanks for the suggestion.

RevDerb
September 22, 2008, 07:39 PM
I can recommend Todd at http://customizedcreationz.com. He does magnificent refinishing work and is a gunsmith as well if you have other issues.

passintime
September 22, 2008, 10:22 PM
I looked at customcreationz, their website says they don't have an FFL right now and can't accept complete firearms. They do beautiful work, though. :( Any idea about the pricing?

WESHOOT2
September 23, 2008, 10:22 AM
He is a fine gentleman, and quite a pistolsmith, too.
His work, both finishing and pistolsmithing, has been used by every major player in the industry, and is worth every cent.

(Years back, when I had a gun there, he called me, on a Sunday, on his dime. To discuss doing LESS work than I'd requested. That kind of honor and honesty are priceless).

passintime
September 23, 2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks, weshoot, for the info. That is the impression I got yesterday. He personally answered my call and gave me ideas to think about and consider and walked me through the process of how they do what they do. Honorable is exactly the word that came to mind. Usually men with such talents as the pictures of his finished work display have huge ego and no time to devote to customers. He talked more than just guns with me....history, family. I can't wait to send this thing off.

ndking1126
September 23, 2008, 11:41 AM
Would love to see high quality before and after pictures!! I'm half way considering having some work done on a pistol of mine. Knowing someone that is trust worthy and fair in pricing would certainly be a factor.

passintime
September 23, 2008, 12:46 PM
NDKing, I will keep you posted on this project. I will take some pictures shortly of "before".

ndking1126
September 23, 2008, 01:13 PM
Who da man? YOU da man!!

WESHOOT2
September 24, 2008, 10:06 AM
While I've never had the pleasure of chatting with Mr. B, I can definitely also recommend Robar for finishes.

And I've used the talents of a few pistolsmiths who were all both honest and honorable; I try to pick those.
Latest excitement, this year, came from EGW; worth every penny (a rather tall stack).

IME the handgun industry employs the finest people of any industry.
'Course, nothing is perfect LOL.