PDA

View Full Version : Good priced .22 target pistol

Bushwhacker
January 3, 1999, 11:07 PM
What is a good .22lr target pistol (preferablly a semi-auto) One that is around 200. to 300. in price range? I was also thinking of getting a silencer for (legal one of course) ;) Anyone know where to get one? Gotta have something to even the odds against the "RAT" popalation.

[This message has been edited by FLYERM14 (edited 01-04-99).]

ThomasH
January 3, 1999, 11:53 PM
Hi FlyerM14,

I think you'll get two basic recommendations, a Ruger MkII (there are many varieties), or a Smith & Wesson Model 41.

I chose a Ruger for nostalgic reasons (first handgun shot, etc.) but I see a lot of sponsored shooters with 41's. I bought a big heavy target model with a long heavy barrel and big wooden grips. It shoots way better then I do, but I wonder if it might be just too heavy for some people. My Dad's smaller tapered barrled model was accurate too!

Thomas

longhair
January 4, 1999, 12:26 PM
i agree w/ thomas. i think the ruger MKII is a good pistol. all the ones i had were accurate and tough. i let mine go for a long time without cleaning it just to see how long it would go without failure. i can't tell you how many rounds went though it, but it was many, at the end i was just getting an occasional failure to feed. i finally cleaned it up, but by then it had turned into quite a job. in short i like the ruger.

------------------
fiat justitia

fal308
January 4, 1999, 12:29 PM
I, like Longhair, tried shooting my Mark 1 without cleaning. I got about 2000 rounds through it before it started jamming.

Kurt
January 4, 1999, 04:29 PM
I agree, it's hard to beat the Ruger as an affordable target gun.

I've watched Ruger shooters win gallery competitions for years. Always fun to see a young Ruger competitor beat out us old farts using guns that cost twice as much!

For bullseye competition both Ruger and Smith are excellent choices. There are plenty of accessories available for each. Personally, I like the High Standard.

VERY IMPORTANT: Be sure the grip is comfortable!! Some bullseye shooters (myself included) find the Smith 41 grip too large. The problem is the frame. Front to back, the grip frame of the Model 41 is larger than other pistols; so changing the grip panels doesn't seem to help much. The Smith 41 is a great gun; but the Ruger fits my hand much better. Whatever you buy make sure the grip fits comfortably!

For the money, nothing compares with the Ruger and don't be afraid to buy a used one!

In the $200 price range the only thing I might choose over the Ruger would be an older Colt Woodsman; if I could find one. Not because the Colt is a better gun -- but just to be different!

Good Luck!

Kurt

Patrick
January 4, 1999, 05:15 PM
I have an old Mk I Ruger and love it. I also have a tendancy to shoot it until it starts to misbehave, lots of ammo downrange.

The main reason I do it is because it is a major pain to take apart to thoroughly clean.

Actually taking it apart isn't so bad, it's putting the darn thing back together again that I hate.

Anyhow, it is reliable, accurate, digests any ammo, and is great fun to shoot!

4V50 Gary
January 4, 1999, 05:47 PM
I have the High Standard HD Military, Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark I. I've also shot the S&W model 41.

Of them all, I'll take the Ruger. Unlike my High Standard or Buckmark, I can abuse it or scratch it and no shed a tear. Like a Timex, it keeps on shooting.

BTW, I like buying used guns since they're substantially cheaper.

Rob Pincus
January 4, 1999, 07:53 PM
Rugers are good guns. My first semi-auto was a ruger Mark II. Personally, I don;t like the grips. I think the Colt Cadet has the best ergonomics. It is my favorite .22 plinker.

The Model 41s are a bit pricey, accoridng to your original request. I use M41s for competition.

you will find many good offerings in the Ruger Mark II with internal silencers. you can buy the completed guns for less than the gun + silencer. Most suppressor companies are also much more likely to be "good at" fitting a Ruger than a M41. The M41s thin and tall slide will also look funny with a round suppressor sticking off of it, IMHO.

-Rob

------------------
-Essayons

Grayfox
January 4, 1999, 09:14 PM
I like the Browning Buckmark. It feels good in my hand, balances and handles well and is very accurate. Not long ago I put a 2X scope on mine and shot groups from the bench at 25 yards using 15 different kinds of ammo ranging from Win. Wildcats to Eley Tenex. Nothing grouped larger than 1". The Tenex was the winner with a group measuring 0.352. Good old winchester Super X came in at 0.454. Most grouped at around 0.750". Think what it could do in the hands of a good shooter!

Spectre
January 4, 1999, 10:19 PM
I have been pricing .22 target pistols after shooting Spartacus' Browning a few weeks ago. Basically the same gun as the Ruger MK II- but with a Zytel (plastic) grip- Ruger makes the 22/45. (believe that's the designation) This pistol is somewhat cheaper than the MK II, and aproximates the good 'ole 1911A1 grip angle. Smith and Wesson also makes a fairly new gun, the 22A or S (A being aluminum frame, S being steel). You should find this gun to be even cheaper than the Rugers. My personal criterion was a 5 or 5.5" stainless bull bl...

Deciding whether you really might mount a supressor should be one of the first things you do. I personally prefer the full-length ramp sights, but it will be harder to mount a sound supressor on one. By the same token, a bull barrel will probably be harder to use in this capacity, as well.

ShadedDude
January 4, 1999, 10:20 PM
Ruger makes great .22's

If you dont like the grip style on the MKII try out a 22/45. .45 style grip/mag release ect.

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.

Rob Pincus
January 4, 1999, 10:35 PM
Spectre alludes to somehting Imeant to include in my first post. You really need two different guns. One for "target" and one for plinking/suppressor use. A true "target" grade .22 is going to run you as much as a decent plinker and the suppressor.

As fas the bull barrel with the suppressor goes, the suppressor can be made to be the same diameter as the bull barrel. Done by a reputable company, the gun can end up looking like a long-bull barreled regular .22

The 22A/S is a great plinker, BTW. The 22A would be my second choice for "fun gun" after the Colt Cadet.

ron i
January 5, 1999, 02:01 AM
ruger mark II with bull barrel for that range. i just bought a s&w model 41. the retail is $768.

another option is to convert your existing handgun with a 22LR kit. ie ciener has a kit for $200 to convert 1911 to 22lr.

The Scandinavian
January 5, 1999, 10:17 AM
Another gun that may be worth considering if you are interested in more formal target shooting is the Izhevsky IZH-35M. You can take a look at it <a href="http://www.mehzavod.ru/catalog-small/page34.html">here</a>.

The finish is a bit rough but it's relatively inexpensive for a European style target gun. I shoot mine about as well as my Hämmerli 208, but perhaps that's not a fair comparison as I don't shoot the Hämmerli nearly so much. For general plinking I wouldn't recommend it though as the Rugers are much "handier", better to look at, and perhaps easier to get parts and service should you ever need it. A lot seems to depend on territtory too. Back in England my dad and I used to target-shoot informally; he used as S&W41 and I had a Beretta 76. Here in Finland in about a year of competitive UIT style shooting I haven't seen a single S&W41 or Ruger or whatever, although they are available here - the majority seem to have the likes of Pardini, FAS, Hämmerli, etc, and I have seen two other IZH-35's locally. Again none of these other choices would work (for me anyway) as a pure plinker as (amongst other reasons) they are too large and heavy to holster. It boils down to what you're going to use it for. Have fun and choose something YOU like!
All the best
<font color=red>T.S.</font>

spleenandideal
January 5, 1999, 07:38 PM
I too agree that the 22A S&W is a fun pistol for plinking-- it is very cheap,( seen them for lower than 150 dollars new ) have a host of interchangeable barrels, and have been dead-on accurate enough for me. My only gripe is that the recoil spring buffer, which is impacted upon by the spring and sits in the rear of the slide has really deteriorated after only 1000 rounds... S&W needs to come up with a better material for this part. Plus the black finish is rather cheap when compared with a Ruger 22.