PDA

View Full Version : Armalite AR-10 Carbine Vs. M1A Scout Squad

Full Metal Jacket
September 10, 2008, 10:19 PM
Ok, thanks for the replies in my other thread with the FAL and the M1A. Hopefully the responses from this thread will help me reach a final decision.

So, please do not suggest a FAL, this is between these two guns only:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=87044

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=85539

Armalite AR-10A4 Carbine and Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad.

Things I like about both, and the rest is up to you guys...

M1A Scout:
Better iron sights, but not by much
Cleaner operating system (no direct gas impingement)
Feels more like a "rifle" than the AR
Less "fragile" than an AR

AR-10A4 Carbine:
Optics (much easier than M1A)
Lighter weight (.308 rifles are heavy enough...)
Familiarity with AR-15 system

MFMayes
September 10, 2008, 11:18 PM
I own an M1A. It's nice, but it's no AR. And having fired the Squad Scout on a few occassions, make sure you get good earpro.

HiBC
September 11, 2008, 12:23 AM
You gotta pick!!
For me,according to my priorties(consistant,dependable bolt rifle grade accuracy) the great possibility offered by the AR is a free float barrel.
I don't know about the AR-10,but in an AR-15,the M-4 bbl is that way skinny one with the clearance cuts for a grenade launcher.It does not say "accuracy" to me.
I know DPMS and Fulton offer some 16 and 18 in sporter wt bbls in a free float condition.We are talking< 8 lbs.Poke around their websites.Some versions offer fwd assist

Full Metal Jacket
September 11, 2008, 12:57 AM
own an M1A. It's nice, but it's no AR.

Care to elaborate?

T.A.Sharps
September 11, 2008, 01:06 AM
I love both. I would definatly love to have a m1a of any kind.

But I think with only being able to afford one or the other, I would go for the AR-10.

The US Army is making the move towards replacing the venerable M24 (Remington 700 based sniper rifle), with the new M110 SASS (SR-25 or AR-10 based semi auto sniper system).

Not saying the standard AR-10 you get is any way near the performance of the M110, but with all the options I've seen with ARs, I bet you can get close.

You have so many options for an AR, every part of the rifle, inside and out, is totally modular. Even the colors! No matter what your taste, super cheap or simple, to sniper grade accuracy, and even I bet Benchrest competition levels of performance.

The AR is definitely not fragile, it success as a main battle rifle can attest to that. People argue that the AK-47 is the greatest rifle in history, but I don't see any of those being made into highly accurate sniper rifles.

MFMayes
September 11, 2008, 01:24 AM
FMJ, it's not especially accurate out of the box, about 2.5MOA now that I've been using higher quality ammo (ie. not Wolf). The Loaded Standard I had previously was about 2MOA, though that may have just been me. Unless you're willing to dump a lot of money into a new-style stock and accept the additional weight, it's a traditional rifle stock, with all the disadvantages that brings along with inferior ergonomics and manual of arms. I'm left-handed, the reciprocating bolt moving while I'm firing doesn't bother me, it does some. On the plus side though, the recip. bolt means you don't need a forward assist and for southpaws it's still possible to hold the weapon in your strong hand, while working a mag change with your right.

The AR has it all over the M1A in terms of ergonomics, unless you're willing to cough up big bucks just to get on your M1A what the AR comes with standard. It's probably more accurate out of the box, that's certainly been my experience, YMMV. The manual of arms is simple on an AR. The in-line stock makes .308 easier to handle, especially since I'm not the biggest guy in the world (5'8, 140ish). Field stripping is easy. If you like tinkering with your rifles, it's easier with an AR.

A lot of it, as you can see, is personal preference. Go out, handle and shoot both, if you can.

SR420
September 11, 2008, 06:48 AM
I owned both and sold the 16.0" AR-10 carbine to fund another 18.0" M14.

Full Metal Jacket
September 11, 2008, 10:16 AM
A lot of it, as you can see, is personal preference. Go out, handle and shoot both, if you can.

I will try.

Reasons? I assume you mean you bought the Scout Squad? (18")

SR420
September 11, 2008, 10:22 AM
Quote:

Full Metal Jacket

Reasons? I assume you mean you bought the Scout Squad? (18")

I had a Scout Squad with the MK14 SEI Mod 0 conversion (http://www.athenswater.com/images/ebrbuild.JPG) and I sold the AR-10 to fund this MK14 SEI Mod 1 build.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/Mod-1_T-1.jpg

Full Metal Jacket
September 11, 2008, 10:38 AM
I see. Wouldn't that aimpoint micro also work nicely and co-witness on the standard springfield armory foward scout rail?

Also, could you describe your experience with the AR-10 carbine? Reliability, accuracy, weight, etc?

navajo
September 11, 2008, 11:03 AM
My experience with an AR 10 carbine; its the one I leave the house with more than the rest.
I have a 10A4 and an anniversery model also. The carbine is handy and much fun to shoot.
I also have a SAI NM which I have owned for many years. SN starts with 038.
Also have a DSA FAL.

I will never get rid of the NM. I have owned 7 SAI M1As over the decades. Never had a malfunction of any type. Ever.
Had one mag malfunction with the AR 10 carbine. Took less than a minute to fix. Once put 20 rounds in the same hole with the 10A4, about the size of a quarter.
Less said about the FAL, the better.

SR420
September 11, 2008, 11:10 AM
Full Metal Jacket I see. Wouldn't that aimpoint micro also work nicely and co-witness on the standard springfield armory foward scout rail?

Also, could you describe your experience with the AR-10 carbine? Reliability, accuracy, weight, etc?

I would replace the factory Scout mount... the Aimpoint Micro T or H 1
combined with the M14 rail from UltiMAK is a much better combination.

My AR-10A4 carbine was very nice. I used a fixed A2 style rifle stock with rifle spring & buffer.
This made for a smooth shooting AR.... I used Gen-II mags made by CMI and the worked 100%.
I can't say anything bad about the AR-10 I had, but the standard weight barrel did heat up and groups spread as it got hotter.

I just prefer the M14.

Full Metal Jacket
September 11, 2008, 11:41 AM
I see.

SR420, in the pic you had of your original wood Scout Squad, did you change out the factory compensator for a flash hider? That's what it looks like to me.
Also, would the default scout rail work with an aimpoint at all, even if its not the best option?

Navajo, got any pics of your A4 carbine?

SR420
September 11, 2008, 12:01 PM
That's a NM reamed, neutered USGI flash suppressor. Springfield Armory supplied this item.

Many optics will work on the factory scout mount, but lower is better and the UltiMAK rail sits lower than the rest.

Full Metal Jacket
September 11, 2008, 12:07 PM
I see. so why did you take the stock compensator off? Doesn't it help reduce muzzle rise well?

SR420
September 11, 2008, 12:13 PM
Those comps work, but they are loud and not friendly to people on either side of you.
I also feel the M14 should have flash suppression and muzzle rise is not bad.
I do have a US Coast Guard comp on one of my M21s, but that's a different animal.

If you look real close you will notice I have a DC Comp on my Mod 1 - it will accept a DC sound suppressor :cool: