PDA

View Full Version : DPMS info please!!

IdahoG36
September 8, 2008, 07:49 PM
I was just down at my local gun shop, and was looking at the AR15s he had. I have been looking for a heavy barreled 20" AR, and they had a nice DPMS.
So, I gave them some money down on it, and also picked up a Knight's Armament rail and Surefire grip light.
I have been searching for this particular model, and can't seem to find it. It has the standard stock, 20" heavy barrel, and A1 upper. The barrel is a 1/7" twist, chrome lined, and MP stamped (magnetic particle tested).
The rifle that resembles it is the Pantherlite, but that has a pencil barrel. The A1 upper is no big deal. I am going to switch it out with a flat top.

Any ideas guys? It is a factory new rifle. I cannot find info or pics anywhere of this configuration.

awpk03s
September 8, 2008, 09:15 PM
Sounds like a Panther DCM perhaps...?
http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=6

IdahoG36
September 8, 2008, 09:44 PM
No, that's not it. It has a black phosphate heavy barrel, 5.56mm chamber, A2 flash hider, 1/7 twist, chrome lined, and MP tested. It also has the A1 upper.
That is the only thing different between the Pantherlite and mine. The barrel is different.

kingbubbatruck
September 8, 2008, 09:56 PM
Same issue here. I recently bought a DPMS carbine, gas block flattop.

Couldn't find the model on the DPMS website at all...

kingbubbatruck
September 8, 2008, 10:02 PM
Same issue here. I recently bought a DPMS carbine, gas block flattop.

Couldn't find the model on the DPMS website at all...

Edited:

Never mind. Just did a little more searching and found it...

IdahoG36
September 9, 2008, 07:03 PM
Well, I went and talked to the owner, who was in today, and got the skinny on this rifle.
It was a barely used Pantherlite. It had a pencil barrel, as all Pantherlites do.
The owner needed a pencil barrel for a build he was doing, so it was removed from this rifle.
A brand new FN 20", MP tested, 5.56mm chambered, 1/7 twist, chrome lined barrel was installed that he had.

I checked the markings again. It is stamped FNMI- FN Manufacturing Inc., Columbia, SC.
I am pretty stoked. I bought this particular rifle because it had the exact barrel I was looking for, as far as length, chrome lined, 1/7, etc.
I don't know how hard FN AR barrels are to come by, but I saw a show a while back on the Military channel that showed the FN plant in SC. It showed all the M16s being built. It also said that FN AR parts were not for sale to civvies, only military contracts.
Anyways, I thought that I would post what I found out. Thanks for the replies guys.

hockeysew
September 9, 2008, 07:23 PM
Congratulations.
You have a more than likely illegally obtained US Government M16/M4 barrel.
We had a guy come up to our tables at a gunshow a couple of months back wanting to sell a FN barreled 14.5" complete upper with a FN marked M16 carrier.
We told him to take it back to his employer, the "Alphabet Boys".
He turned white and disappeared into the crowd.

IdahoG36
September 9, 2008, 07:26 PM
Well, I did some more reading and it turns out that while FN does not sell to civvies, dealers can buy FN AR parts legally through the proper channels.

hockeysew
September 9, 2008, 11:10 PM
Well, I did some more reading and it turns out that while FN does not sell to civvies, dealers can buy FN AR parts legally through the proper channels.

First I have heard of that. Learn sumthin new every day.