PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 locking up... not the usual ammo issue

camaro_thunder92
September 2, 2008, 09:53 PM
I have an 870 Express (Not the Super Mag), that jams about every 3 shots. It is not the typical cheap ammo issue that I have read a ton about on this forum. I have tried the steel wool trick with no success.

The issue here is that the breech bolt will not let go of the barrel. I have to slam the action to get the shell out of the chamber, and it is starting to mess up the lock on the top of the breech bolt assy. As a side note, I clean my gun every time I shoot, and lube it with nothing but rem oil. I am not the original owner of this shotgun, so I don't know about the cleaning habits of the original owner. It is roughly ten years old and has had A LOT of rounds through it. The action is a little sloppy.

I am attaching a picture of the lock on the breech bolt so that somebody here may be able to tell me what's going on. At this point, I am ready o go buy a new gun so that I don't have to sit out this dove season. Thanks in advance for any help.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35677&d=1220410362

b.thomas
September 2, 2008, 10:08 PM
What do you mean by the "steel wool thing"?? Do you mean polishing the chamber? which is the first thing I'd recommend besides trying a different brand of ammo.
Also dose the part of the barrel extension, where the bolt locks up look OK, no burrs or such? Another thing have you tried a different barrel to see how it works with it? To me your bolt looks fine but I'm not a gunsmith, but it doesn't look any the worst-for-wear then my 35 year old Wingmaster and it works great.
:)

Scattergun Bob
September 2, 2008, 10:11 PM
Sounds to me like the culprit is the slide, it is the flat piece of metal with a block on top that the actual bolt sits on. when you move the for end reward the action bars move the slide rearward and UNLOCK the locking block assembly and the bolt moves back, if the slide is worn it will cause the action to studder and feel like it is frozen. Stop and take this gun to a gunsmith, it is a easy fix. There are other things it could be, but from you description and picture this is my best guess.

Not to worry your baby is just winged, it's not dead:)

Good Luck & Be Safe

camaro_thunder92
September 2, 2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks Bob. I know it's not ammo because I can take the shell that jammed, and put it right back in with no more problems. I cam put the bolt on the block and everything works fine (slides like it's supposed to) until it's fired. The only other thing that worries me is that there is no abnormal wear to the slide bars (either side). I will take it to a friend that is a gunsmith and see what he says.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

csonoda45
November 9, 2008, 09:49 PM
Camaro, I have the same problem with my 870 express magnum. It continually jams while I am out duck hunting. It is very frustrating.

What did you mean by the steal wool thing?

Bob, how do I polish the chamber?

I am not made of money so purchasing another shotgun, and maybe even bringing mine into a gunsmith may not be an option...at least not this season.

HELP! Save my duck season!