PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about Century Arms Golani Sporter. (Galil)

Full Metal Jacket
September 1, 2008, 05:40 PM
1. I have heard from an IDF vet, that at least the IMI versions, you have to re-zero the weapon whenever you take the gun apart, do to the rear sight being receiver mounted? Is this true?

2. Is the folding stock high quality

3. What is the twist rate on the Century Arms Galil? Barrel length?

4. Has anyone made a decent optics mount yet for it? Can I change out the stock handguards for wooden Israeli ones? how hard would it be?

5. What are some advantages of this weapons system over an AR-15?

thanks!

JKHolman
September 2, 2008, 12:22 PM
fullmetaljacket,
here is something I posted in the past:

Adam5,
several months ago I bought a Golani Sporter from AIM when they were going for just under eight hundred dollars. Mine came with two really good magazines and no bayonet lug. The folding stock was loose and I neglected to send it back [within a reasonable time]. I ended up shimming the stock and will eventually pick up a wooden buttstock or another folder. I was able to find a wooden handguard (for sixty dollars to include shipping) to give it that Israeli Defense Force look I wanted. I really enjoy firing my "Galil" although it is heavy for a .223 firing platform. I tried a "clip on" scope mount, but that proved unsatisfactory and I got a refund on that. The more expensive top scope mount is most likely the route to go in that direction. Adam5, if you elect to buy a Golani Sporter (a Galil is expensive), buy one at a gun show where you can test the folding stock. I have found that a few have a slop in the hinge like mine. Get a good one that is tight in the fold. Do not waste your money on a cheap scope mount. Most of the ones out there are junk. The going rate on wooden handguards is over one hundred dollars. You can find them under seventy-five. I like my Galil and will keep it.

p.s. I also have a Daewoo AR-100 (with the clubfoot) and it is my go-to rifle.

- - - - - -

answers to:
#1. Mine has never lost the zero after dismantling the rifle.

#3. I am not sure of the barrel twist (about 1:7); I do know the rifle will handle a 62-grain projectile (my AR-180 Sterling has a 1:12 twist and can handle no projectile over 55 grains).

#5. The Golani Sporter will not jam.

fullmetaljacket, I hope this helps.

shaman
September 2, 2008, 10:08 PM
i used to own galil in 308.

never noticed iron sights changing and i only would scope it when i knew i was gonna be hunting the pipeline right by my house.

so, come deer season i would clean it up nice on a friday afternoon, take it out, shoot it hundred yards(sometimes it would be deadon, sometimes not) and not worry about it for the weekend. come sunday night i would dismount scope and clean it well.

crazy huh?

killed two deer with it first season. one right at 200, the other about 80.

killed one second season.

then i went and bought a 742 woodmaster in 243 and retired the galil from hunting.