PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who carry the PPK/S or PPK

Murdock
September 1, 2008, 08:25 AM
I owned a PPK a few years ago, but let it go in an advantageous trade. Now I'm looking at getting another.

My guess is that, like me, most PPK owners carry the pistol with the finger rest magazine in place. Do PPK/S owners do the same?

The little finger extension on the magazine was helpful in gripping the little critter, but it did compromise the small size of the butt for concealment, however slightly. Regardless, I carried the gun with the finger extension magazine in place, rather than the flat-based spare magazine, because of its security in the hand.

I've never owned a PPK/S, primarily because it seemed like a misbegotten hybrid forced on us by GCA 68, with its PPK slide and PP butt. The butt of an auto is always the hardest thing to hide, and the length of the barrel/slide is not an issue. (So why don't they make the PP in the US? I'd love to have one in either .380 or .22LR).

However, being older and wiser, I'm now re-thinking my position on the PPK/S. After all, lots of people still buy them, even with the PPK available. If the flat-based magazine is used, the longer butt of the PPK/S is probably no longer than the PPK with its finger thingy magazine. The extra length may compensate for the loss of the magazine extension if the plat-based magazine is used, and you get an extra round. :cool:

Frankly, any semi-auto that resorts to a little finger doodad magazine extension to make it usable seems like a marketing snare. You buy a little, teeny gun because of its compact size, then make it bigger in its toughest-to-conceal dimension just so you can get a hold of it and use it. :confused:

Thoughts? Thanks.

David the Gnome
September 1, 2008, 03:12 PM
I carry a PPK but I relegate my finger-extension magazines to range-only use. I only carry the flat base plate magazines when I carry my PPK.

I recently traded my PPK/S for a PPK and I have to say that the PPK is much more comfortable to shoot than the PPK/S. The steel backstrap of the PPK/S eats my hand raw and really starts to hurt after a while. The plastic wraparound grips of the PPK feel much better, even with the shorter grip length.

My suggestion, try out a PPK/S before making a decision. Try to put at least 50 rounds through one and see if it feels ok for you. I found the PPK to be much more to my liking.

Magyar
September 1, 2008, 04:10 PM
Interesting comments and insights about using the the extra-length magazine. I will admit that I carry the PPK mostly in the summer w/o a holster of any kind mostly in the pocket. Yeah, I know it's heavy but I cinch up my belt and no problems...The flat-mag makes its easier for me to grab w/o the extension hanging up on the lip of my pocket.
Glad to hear that you are considering purchasing another one...:)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/veritas2369/PPKauto.jpg

Playboypenguin
September 1, 2008, 04:22 PM
I do not use the extension at all. I just do not feel I need it and it carries better without it. The gun is heavy enough to handle the recoil of the .380acp round without having a full three fingers on the grip. Two is more than enough and allows m to curl my pinky under the frame...which helps me control a gun while point shooting.

I did a review on my PPK awhile back because I felt so many people overlook this great gun when it comes to CC.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302254&highlight=PPK

joegator
September 1, 2008, 08:49 PM
I have the PPK/S. When I carry it I use the flush mag and use the finger mag for the range. Even with the metal backstrap the recoil does not seem to sting, at least not nearly as much as my alloy j-frame. The gun is heavy enough to absorb most recoil.

MartyG
September 23, 2008, 05:10 PM
I gave up the extension when I bought ivory-colored grips. (less likely to show under my shirt) The black extension looked stupid with the grips. Now I like the shorter butt better.

Trigger Finger
September 23, 2008, 05:48 PM
When I carry my PPK/S I use the extension. It just feels better and I shoot better with it. A gun this size is not that hard to conceal. The same with my Glock 27. Try them both and whatever works for you.

And I prefer the PPK/S over the PPK. Again, for me it just feels better.

alloy
September 23, 2008, 06:04 PM
i didnt like the extension for a few years, then i tried it and liked the grip better. the way i wear it it prints less with the extension compared to the 2 inch wide squared off end of the grip. it might show a bit more but it looks less like a gun.

saltydog452
September 25, 2008, 09:35 AM
Regardless of which mags work for you, please use the safety.

salty

PawPaw40
September 25, 2008, 11:00 PM
I carry the PPK with the flat bottom mag. The only reason for settling for a
.380 is the concealability, therefore make it small as possible. The grip is the single hardest thing to hide on an autoloader.

Night Watch
September 25, 2008, 11:05 PM
:) I occasionally carry an old German PPK-S. In 35 years of use it's never so much as hiccuped on me, not even once! Whenever it's with me I've, also, got two extra magazines on the opposite side of my belt. The magazines with the finger extensions are in the mag. carrier; and, the flat magazine is in the pistol.

I use a hard rubber Pachmayr wrap-around grip. It works well for taming the healthy blowback action recoil this little pistol puts out. (The two extra magazines are because it's a puny 380. If I ever have to use it, the first customer gets to keep the first magazine!) ;)

Magyar, that is a truly beautiful Walther - Even nicer than mine; but, of course, yours is still young and purty! Mine's old like me and a little worn. ;)

radom
September 25, 2008, 11:19 PM
I went so far as to pop that rest off all of my mags.

JohnKSa
September 26, 2008, 12:59 AM
I use the flat magazines although sometimes I will carry a finger-rest magazine as my spare.please use the safety.The gun is safe to carry with the safety off. The DA pull on my PPK is stiffer than any revolver I've ever owned and the gun is equipped with a rebounding hammer safety that prevents the gun from going off if something hits the hammer.

Playboypenguin
September 26, 2008, 01:05 AM
They must have meant to not carry it cocked without the safety on but it is kind of impossible not too have the safety off if you carry it cocked since the safety works as a decocker when you apply it. :)

PS: I would never carry it cocked and unlocked...and cocked and locked is not possible. It functions very much like a revolver.

Scattergun Bob
September 26, 2008, 01:09 AM
John,

You are correct about PP pistols being safe to carry with safety in the off position. The issues that bothers me is that like some of the S&W decocker and safety pistols, if you carry in safety off and do not ride the safety lever during presentation, one day the safety WILL be on, and that is JUST down right embarrassing, could also cost some Blood.

Good Luck & Be safe

JohnKSa
September 26, 2008, 01:22 AM
That is definitely one hazard of a gun with a manual safety and one reason I tend to prefer guns without them.

I make checking & double-checking the safety position part of my normal routine when I put it on, but another solution is to practice deactivating the safety during the draw.

The problem with the latter (in this particular case) is that the safety on the PPK is quite small and the detent is pretty stiff. Also, because it's an "up-for-fire" safety mounted on the slide you can't really ride it the way you would a frame-mounted "down-for-fire" model. In my opinion it's not something you'd want to count on being able to do reliably in high-pressure situation.

I suppose the best solution is to always carry with the safety off and practice deactivating the safety during the draw anyway as a sort of backup for the possibility of the safety being accidentally left on.

David the Gnome
September 26, 2008, 03:04 PM
The safety on my PPK is never left on. I use the safety lever purely as a decocker. :)

alloy
September 26, 2008, 04:00 PM
David the Gnome "The safety on my PPK is never left on. I use the safety lever purely as a decocker."

thats how i see the arrangement.

kayakersteve
September 26, 2008, 05:08 PM
I always carry it ready for double action pull. Have carried my PPK that way for over 15 years.
http://www.kayakforfun.com/images/600_gunPPK09.JPG

IMTHDUKE
September 26, 2008, 06:01 PM
http://photos.gafana.com/photos/1626252920996569532864.share.jpg

saltydog452
September 30, 2008, 05:20 PM
The reason I suggested using the safety is the hammer can strike the primer if the little blaster is dropped.

salty

Walther22lr
September 30, 2008, 07:09 PM
The hammer should not hit the firing pin if it is dropped. There is a "hammer block" that prevents the hammer from moving towards the firing pin when the trigger is at rest.
The "hammer block" moves upward and allows the hammer to strike the firing pin when the trigger is to the rear.
It is simple to see if you remove the slide and watch the relationship of these parts when you bring the hammer back, pull the trigger and ease the hammer forward, for example. Also, try and move the hammer forward while the trigger is at rest. It won't go forward.:)

JohnKSa
September 30, 2008, 11:44 PM
The reason I suggested using the safety is the hammer can strike the primer if the little blaster is dropped.It COULD happen, but only if there is parts breakage.

The rebounding hammer safety will prevent the hammer from moving far enough forward to fire the gun. If the drop breaks the safety then the gun could fire.

michael t
October 1, 2008, 01:07 AM
Safety is a decocker only for me . Min hammer down its back to fire position
The Idea of a DA auto is fast first shot like a revolver . That screwed up lever just slows things up and very easy to miss .
I also use flat bottom mags. Once used to won't want any other way.

Dangerwing
October 1, 2008, 02:57 AM
My PPK/s is my primary carry gun during the spring/summer/fall. I usually carry with the grip extension.

It's also worth the couple hundred to get some laser grips!

alloy
October 1, 2008, 06:04 AM
i have a hard time posting pics but heres my older '01 WALTHER USA LLC and a like new '95 INTERARMS i picked up monday. both in .380

i bought the INTERARMS because the other works so well for carry, that i have pretty much just settled on the ppk/s...flaws and all. have been debating the crimson trace set-up for one. both fairly pedestrian guns...but a hoot to shoot.

leprechaun224
November 20, 2008, 07:43 AM
re: the comment "The steel backstrap of the PPK/S eats my hand raw " - I had the exact same issue. I used a file and shaved off enough of the backstrap to alleviate the problem. Now, it's perfect in the way it feels and shoots.

alistaire
November 20, 2008, 09:00 AM
When I carried in a OWB or shoulder holster I used the finger grip mags, when carrying in the pocket of a cycle jacket with small pockets, I used the flat base mags.

Officer's Match
November 20, 2008, 09:15 AM
i have a hard time posting pics but heres my older '01 WALTHER USA LLC and a like new '95 INTERARMS i picked up monday. both in .380

Nice pics. The PPK/S looks just like mine.