PDA

View Full Version : choices

Double Impact
August 27, 2008, 07:53 AM
Hello
I"m sure questions like this haas been asked before but humor me anyway.

If you had one choice and it was to carry a glock which would it be 40cal or 45 acp and which one and why? thanks

Keltyke
August 27, 2008, 08:15 AM
I really love the .40 S&W. Although the .45 ACP is larger and has maybe more "intimidation" factor, I think the .40 S&W will deliver a stronger punch. The .40s are usually a little easier to conceal, too. A .45 compact may be harder to control, too. I think the selection of SD ammo is better in the .40 S&W also.

Saab1911
August 27, 2008, 08:17 AM
Yes, this has been done a billion times already, but I will humor you with my
opinions.

First, there are reports of kB! with .40 S&W. So, Glock in .45 ACP is the
safer choice, IMO.

Second, the two ammo cost about the same. So, why not get the bigger
cartridge.

Third, recoil of .40 S&W is just as difficult to control as that of .45 ACP. So,
why not get the bigger cartridge?

Fourth, Stopping power of .45 ACP is greater, all things being equal.

Fifth, nobody will accuse you of being a pansy if you carry a 45 :p

Cheers,

Jae

bojack2575
August 27, 2008, 08:57 AM
I used to be a huge .45ACP only fan. I just recently bought a .40S&W XD-M and I love it. For me it is very controllable, shoots great, and packs more than enough punch to stop a BG. Also 16+1 of .40S&W in a regular magazine isn't something you can achieve in .45ACP.

I still got .45ACP pistols and I still love them. I have seen a few post with people saying there is just something about the .40S&W that they love and I have to agree. For me there is just something about the .40S&W.

But hey its your Barbeque cook it how you want;)

Oh and I wouldn't accuse anybody of being a Pansy if they had just a .22 pointed at me......lol

Sevens
August 27, 2008, 09:07 AM
Either are fine, but I would choose the .45. .45 is much more friendly to the reloading bench in so many ways, and that has a LOT of sway in my world.

There is one thing I have to say in favor of the .40 cal Glocks, however, and that's the simple conversion to .357 with a Lone Wolf barrel. Even uses the original .40 Glock magazines. The caliber is potent, the barrel is high-quality and quite accurate. It's an easy way to have a 2-caliber shooter for only a little more than a $100 extra. If I had a .40 Glock, it's no brainer, done deal.

wjkuleck
August 27, 2008, 09:13 AM
Ah, but which .45 ACP Glock? The G21 requires a big hand (which I have, both the G21 and the hand), the G36 holds really well, but is limited in capacity. The G21SF obsoletes all my G21 mags. The G30?

The .40 S&W may be fine, but the thought of adding another caliber is, well, unwelcome. (So, why do I have a G37? Go figure.)

The big difference between the .45 ACP Glocks and .40 S&Ws is, well, the .45s are BIG, the .40's, more 9mm size.

Regards,

Walt

Tripplethreat
August 27, 2008, 09:37 AM
I personallly prefer Glocks in 9mm,and 45ACP in a 1911. The only .40 in the house is a H&K USP. Probably not what you wanted to hear,but decisions based on long experience.

Keltyke
August 27, 2008, 10:12 AM
For me there is just something about the .40S&W.

I agree. It's like a .357 mag. in a semi. There's just something about the report and kick that I like. When you shoot one at the range, people stop for a second.