PDA

View Full Version : CZ 6.5x55 Swede

Dearhunter61
August 20, 2008, 07:49 PM
Ok...I needed to start a new thread.

Does anyone own one of these? I saw one today at Sportsmans Warehouse and I REALLY liked it. I own two CZ rifles and love both of them. But neither of them are deer hunting calibers. I would like to purchase a CZ in a caliber that I can deer hunt with and this might be it!

If you are wondering what I like about them so much? With my 22-250 it is the fact that it has a single set trigger and shoots REALLY accurate! 1/2 inch 100 yard groups. And the other is a 452 in 22 caliber. Again...it shoots very accuately!

Now I want to own one with a single set trigger for deer hunting. And for that I want to buy a caliber that I currently do not own and this is one of them.

If I choose to buy it I will most likely have to sell one of my other guns...although I do not want to it will probably be my Ruger 280. It shoots well...3/4 inch 3 shot group with a couple of different loads, but...well I am not sure why this is it...but it is the one I will most likely sell to purchase the CZ.

Feedback is appreciated!

tulsamal
August 20, 2008, 09:09 PM
I've picked up a couple of the 6.5 CZ's in the full stock version. I really like them. IMO it would be a great deer rifle. I still don't own one. Something else seems to always come up and steal the money.

And I think that CZ has discontinued the caliber. At least from US imports. So don't wait too long if you really want one.

Gregg

publius
August 20, 2008, 09:51 PM
The 6.5x55 is one of the finest big game rounds ever developed. Those long 140gr. bullets have great sectional density and therefore penetration, not to mention it's an inheriently accurate round. Light recoil, great penetration, unbelieveable accuracy. What's not to like? I hope it's not true that they have discontinued the chambering in what is a fine rifle.

Selfdfenz
August 20, 2008, 09:55 PM
I really like my 550. CZ USA still has them listed on their website so I assume they can still be had. Great caliber in a well made rifle.
Wish I'd got it sooner.

Best

S-

Wildalaska
August 21, 2008, 12:57 AM
The 6.5x55 is one of the finest big game rounds ever developed. Those long 140gr. bullets have great sectional density and therefore penetration, not to mention it's an inheriently accurate round. Light recoil, great penetration, unbelieveable accuracy. What's not to like?

Now theres a guy that knows his stuff

WildgimmethatswedeAlaska TM

Wildebees
August 21, 2008, 04:35 AM
That is one excellent all round calibre. Its 140 gr has such a good BC for plains game, and the 160 gr just has unbelievable penetration because of the sectional density on large game in the denser vegetation where shots are not much further than 100m .

Many years ago I shot a kudu with a 160 gr 6.5x57 (which carries only slightly more powder than the Swede) and aimed right on the shoulder. To my astonisment it went all the way through both shoulder blades. This side in, other side out. I am in fact now preparing to build myself a 6.5 on the .303 British which shall duplicate the Swedish ballistics.

An absolute impeccable choice, your 6.5 Swedish. Congratulations.

tulsamal
August 21, 2008, 07:15 AM
I really like my 550. CZ USA still has them listed on their website so I assume they can still be had.

You're right. I just went and looked myself. I'm talking about the 550 FS. They were available for several years. And then a couple years ago I heard they had stopped bringing those in. I stopped seeing them at gun shows. And searches on gunbroker either returned one hit or none. Maybe they stopped bringing them in, got a lot of requests, and brought 6.5 back? Or maybe they just didn't bring in very many?

Whatever the truth is, I'm very happy to see them still on the website. That means there is no big rush for me to buy one. I don't really _need_ another deer rifle but I've always loved that caliber. I've been thinking about have a gunsmith friend rebarrel a commercial M98 rifle I have in .270 Winchester to the 6.5 Swede. And my 1910 M96 has always shot well for me. But I just like the looks of those full stock CZ 550 FS's!

A quick search on gunbroker right now still only shows one listing.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=107750438

Gregg

Magnum Wheel Man
August 21, 2008, 07:38 AM
I used to have an old Swed 6.5 X 55 & several years back, Remington 1st began producing ammo & that old milsurp was a tack driver with that ( then new ) ammo... I traded it to my gun building buddy for work on a past project, & wish many times I had another...

so... for '09, it's made my list again... & though I love & collect CZ rifles, I'm doing up a hunting rifle battery in stainless rifles, with either laminated or composite stocks, & the 6.5 X 55 will fit there nicely... I think I'm getting a Tika T-3 Lite in stainless composite, in the 6.5 X 55...

http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_rifles_main.htm

but if CZ built a stainless rifle... I'd be on it in a heart beat... I'm sure you'll love yours...

ikesdad
August 21, 2008, 02:55 PM
I dont think that you can find a better factory mating than a CZ in 6.5x55. A few years back, I bought a CZ 527 in .223 for a grandson. I am extremely surprized at the quality. If you havent shot a 6.5x55 yet, you will be a convert when you do. A great round. Since the new Winchester 70s are a grand and I have to work for a living and they arent even chambered in that round, personally, I'd go with the CZ and thro rocks at a Remington.

azsixshooter
August 23, 2008, 12:53 AM
I bought a CZ 550 American in 6.5x55 last month. I love it, both the rifle and the cartridge. My dies for reloading the Swede arrived today with 100 Noslers and I'll hopefully be getting the rest of my reloading equipment set-up this weekend.

This is my first center-fire rifle and I love it. I mainly bought it to hunt antelope with, but I'm having a lot of fun target shooting with it. So far I've shot about 80 Federal Power-Shoks and around 120 Swedish surplus rounds. I wasted a lot of ammo before I found out the guy at Sportsman's Warehouse didn't tighten my rear scope mount when he mounted and boresighted it. Live and learn I guess. Now that it's tightened and lock-tighted it's all good.

I haven't been getting the kinds of groups I want, but I am writing it off as a PEBTAC error...Problem Exists Between Trigger And Chair ;) Also, I'm sure well-crafted handloads will be performing a whole lot better than these corroded surplus rounds I've been shooting and I will eventually be replacing the $150 Nikon scope with a nice Leupold. I think the rifle is good, I did a kind of modified barrel break-in based on a ton of forum posts and shooting articles I read and researched before I bought it. It seems like when I do my job (and get lucky with a good cartridge) it's dead-on.

I got pretty lucky with the wood lottery and the fit and finish is about what I would expect from a rifle of this price, maybe even a little better.

I went around and around for a long time -months- trying to decide what to get for my first centerfire rifle. Thanks to all the great people on these forums and all the other places I researched I think I made the best choice possible for my price range, both in rifle and cartridge. I actually spent about $100 more than I was originally planning to on the rifle, but I figured it's worth it to buy the very best you can afford. In my case, I temporarily moved some of the scope budget to the rifle and will be upgrading the scope, hopefully before Christmas.

I hope you get yourself a CZ in this fine caliber. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying shooting this round immensely, especially out of such a fine rifle.

Dearhunter61
August 23, 2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the info. I found one this week in Austin and am now trying to convince my wife how much WE need this rifle and how we should not get rid of any of our children, Ruger 280, :D to get this one. I am going to try to convince her to let me drive down there today to purchase it. Might not work though...

Below is a liink to an optics site. They sell used riflescopes for a pretty good price. I purchased one from them and it has been great. I have looked through Leupolds and actually own one and if you are willing to wait a little while in order to get better optics the same way you did with you rifle it would serve you well to do so here and buy you a Zeiss Conquest. You can purchase them at the below site used which should allow you to get great optics for less. I recommend the 3.5x10x50 if you can find it.

Good luck! And thanks again for the info!

http://www.swfa.com/default.aspx

Pilot
August 23, 2008, 07:55 AM
Great caliber, great rifle. You can't go wrong, especially if you reload.

gruntrus
August 23, 2008, 08:07 AM
I love mine for doing drives or just sneaking through the woods. A PO sporterized the one I found at a garage sale, with a nice Redfield on it, for $225. Great ballistics, action, and shooting? I love it.

Dearhunter61
August 23, 2008, 09:42 AM
It I do I will load pics of it if I can find out how to do so! Yeee Hiiiiii

johnson_n
August 23, 2008, 09:53 AM
Full Stock or American?

Dearhunter61
August 24, 2008, 09:08 AM
I have not taken any photos of it yet but it sure is purdy! :D

I reloaded about 15 rounds last night and have it ready to go to the range except for the scope...promised my wife I would wait until next year to buy another scope...I am taking the scope off my 270 because I need to get some trigger work on it before I use it in the field and so it does not need the eye wear right now! As soon as I get it on it I will take a couple of pics and show it off! :)

Dearhunter61
August 24, 2008, 03:25 PM
They are a little bit blurry. I took it using the wrong setting on the camera but you should get the idea....

ikesdad
August 24, 2008, 03:48 PM
You wont regret that purchase. Very nice rifle.

Selfdfenz
August 24, 2008, 05:45 PM
A 550 in 6.5x55 with a Conquest to keep it company. Wow. If that ain't swell what is?

Best

S-

Dearhunter61
August 24, 2008, 08:49 PM
All,

Thanks for all of your input. I took it to the range this afternoon and fired 8 shots through it. The Swede is SWEET! Last night I loaded up a few rounds to take and I loaded 5 rounds with IMR 4831 when I decided to just load up some ammo for sighting in purposes. Not really thinking much about the load being a hunting load. Attached you will find the target. As you can see the group is definately good enough to hunt with. I did do the little yanky on one but the other four are pretty good.

Then you can also see the results of the Varget powder load. I have 3 more powder bullet combos I will shoot through it probably this coming weekend but right now I would say I have found my hunting round.

Just thought you all would like to see the initial results...I am hoping to do a litte better next time...it was 97 out there and the barrel took forever to cool down. In fact it never did cool down as much as I would have liked but enough.

azsixshooter
August 25, 2008, 02:36 AM
Nice shooting Tex!

I am here in Arizona, I know what you mean about the barrel never really cooling down. I've been out in the desert shooting at 2pm with no cover several times over the last month and I've just been giving a minute or so between shots since it doesn't seem like it's going to really cool down enough to matter.

Dearhunter61
August 25, 2008, 06:03 PM
Here is hopefully a better photo of the 6.5 and also included is a photo of my three CZs...the 6.5, 22lr and 22-250.

Huntergirl
August 25, 2008, 06:40 PM
Geez, I would love one! But, I gotta wear out my Swede Sporter to justify one, or sell my Savage 99 .243. Anyone need a Savage 99E in .243?:D

Selfdfenz
August 25, 2008, 06:58 PM
Dearhunter61

Could just be the way the photo came out but I think your 6.5 has a nicer piece of wood than mine. Yours looks darker and seems to have a little more figure. Not that I'm putting mine up for auction mind you.

Seems like Wild mentioned CZs vary somewhat when it comes to the stock with some being a little nicer than others. I'd say if it looks as good in real life as it does in the photo you did very well.

Best

S-

Dearhunter61
August 25, 2008, 07:05 PM
It really looks btter in person...I have not been able to get a photo that does it justice. When I saw it at the store I immediately fell in love with it. The stock is rich and looks like it is from mahogany, I know it is not but it looks like it. Just a real beautiful stock!

AND THANKS!

Dearhunter61
September 2, 2008, 07:13 AM
And it was not good. I tried some different length brass and it was not a good thing so when I got back from my lease yesterday I resized all my brass and then loaded up 3 rounds from the load I had such success with the first time I took it out and shot it and I am planning to go out this afternoon and shoot it and see what it will do with this reloads. Hopefully it will start grouping well again!.

azsixshooter
September 2, 2008, 07:51 AM
I've had some good groups with the handloads I've been putting together. In mine I have had success with AA3100 following the Nosler Reloading Manual 6 data. So far, from 46.5 up to 50.5 grains I've shot sub-MOA groups with 46.5, 47.5 and 48.5 grain loads behind 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I had a cratered primer at 50 grains (that I missed in the field) and a completely blown out primer at 50.5 grains. But I shot a .625" group with the 47.5 grain loads and a .6875" group with the 48.5 grains loads.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find something she likes.

Dearhunter61
September 2, 2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the info. I do not own that powder or bullet. I am loading Hornady 140 grain spire points with IMR 4831 with Federal Match 210 primers. The first time I shot this load through it I had a 4 shot group of .56 so I am going to the range today to try it again.

If I can not get this to shoot the Hornadys I will look at getting the powder and bullet you recommend.

garryc
September 2, 2008, 10:07 AM
My go to load for the 140gr in the 6.5x55, in the Rem 700, is 45gr of Alliant R22. I use federal LR pimers and lapua brass. A great load.

I've found that American brass runs a little small in the head. Only about .005 too small. That makes no real differance in it's use as a hunting round, and really nothing as a target round after the first fireing, but I don't like it being too small.

marks655
September 18, 2008, 12:52 PM
I bought one about 2 1/2 years ago and was not happy with it. Could not get it to shoot under 1 MOA with my best handloads. Other swedes I own all shoot well-under 1 MOA. Almost everyone swears by the CZ's so perhaps I got a bad one. Traded it for a Sako 75 which shoots under 1/2 MOA.