PDA

View Full Version : Roughing It

HOGGHEAD
August 14, 2008, 10:43 PM
Below is a picture of what I consider "roughing it" in the Ground Hog field. I got permission to hunt this Fields the other night. I have been wanting to hunt this field for several years. I had pretty good shooting. I saw 6 and managed to kill 5 of them. I have had a good week, I shot 13 in a row until this evening, and added five more this evening, so know I have killed 18 in a row without a miss. This is my best streak ever. The shots were not very far, but what the he**. A streak is a streak.

By the way. Look at the size of the one in the middle. He was a monster. I did not weigh him, but I should have registered him in the :big ground hog" contest. He is one of the biggest ones I have ever shot. Tom.

Yearly total:
Sightings: 71
Shots: 65
Kills: 57
Misses: 8

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/IMG_0508.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/IMG_0507.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/IMG_0512.jpg

Art Eatman
August 15, 2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah, that's what I'd call the proper way to rough it in a pest control effort.

My prairie dog efforts, so far, have had me mostly just sitting in the truck. Drive along, stop, pop a few, drive on. A tilt steering wheel makes a good elbow rest. :) I've used a folded towel on the top of the window glass, but I think I'm gonna go high-tech: I'll split a short length of garden hose. :D

guntotin_fool
August 16, 2008, 06:41 PM
Last trip we went on to SoDak shooting PD's we had neighbors in the hotel who had a big trailer for 4 wheelers set up with two swivel rests and seats. just tow the trailer to the hill, drop the jacks, and two ready to go set ups.

pretty darn sweet

crowbeaner
August 16, 2008, 09:28 PM
Funny, I don't see a cooler full of cold pop or a grill to cook the tenderloins of those DOA grass chewers. I guess you ARE roughing it! Most interesting is the rest for that EVIL BLACK RIFLE(!). If you were a well heeled sporting gent you'd have a gunbearer, bwana. The 11th commandment is "Thou shalt not dig holes in the alfalfa field". Obviously those diggers never went to Sunday school. That biggun IS a fatty. My best string back in the 60s was 51 straight kills without a miss from 40 yards to over 300. The gun was an early M788 with WALNUT stock in .222 shooting a 60 grain Hornady over 19.0 of 4198 or 22.0 of BLC( the original hoarded by my neighbors dad). Some of them ran a few feet, but they all died where we could retrieve them. We had to pick them up so they didn't break sections on the mower. Nice shooting. Are you sure you are prepared for a close quarters charge?

tplumeri
August 16, 2008, 09:45 PM
hey tom,
where did you get that nice stainless heavy barrel?
thanks
tom

btw
that big critter is a blue ribbon winner around here!

HOGGHEAD
August 16, 2008, 10:56 PM
The rifle is a standard Rock River Varminter with a Wilson SS barrel in 223Wylde chambering. The rifle is scary accurate. The cooler and potato chips are sitting next to the chair(that I broke the back on that day). I keep my 44 magnum 329PD on my belt for close quarters action. I almost got ran over(Less than 2 yards away) by a couple of fawns that day. Tom.

Gbro
August 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
What is the notched 2X6 for?
My guess would be a blind.

HOGGHEAD
August 17, 2008, 04:12 PM
Gbro I am a handicapped hunter. I had my friends modify the seat on the Mule. I do a lot of deer hunting off of the Mule. I use the 2X6 as a shooting rest for my rifle. The notches came from the sling studs on the rifle. I do a lot of shooting. The broken part on the end of the 2X6 is where I hit a tree. Tom.

tplumeri
August 17, 2008, 05:17 PM
My guess would be a blind.

hey, thats not a bad idea;
snap some nylon cammo material to the 2x4 and around the cab....
maybe velcro....
"if you build it they will come"

crowbeaner
August 17, 2008, 06:28 PM
Nah, get a BIG popup blind and it will go around the rig too. They make them big enough to sit in and draw a bow. Just figure out how to fold it up when it's time to move.

Gbro
August 18, 2008, 08:55 AM
Oh,
The notch I was referring to looks like the break you commented on.
My older brother didn't hunt the last 2 years as he was unable to get a permit to use his ATV. MN has tightened up the disability regs to a point where those with legit disability's are giving up in frustration.
When I found out about his problem getting a permit, 1 call to my local Conservation Officer resulted in a permit for him the next day.(good for 5 years).
He gets his Kidney transplant next month if everything goes well;)

HOGGHEAD
August 18, 2008, 04:19 PM
I will say a prayer for your brother. And we will say a prayer for him in church. Tom.

BIGR
August 18, 2008, 07:54 PM
Great varmit control done the right way.

tplumeri
August 18, 2008, 08:44 PM
he was unable to get a permit to use his ATV.

thats a shame!
my FFL back home has a bowhunting permit to use his pick-up. I know because i filled out the medical potion of the application for him!

Just figure out how to fold it up when it's time to move

yeah, they "pop-up" alot easier than they fold-up!:)

Gbro
August 19, 2008, 11:45 PM
Thank you Tom,
Prayer is a powerful healing tool.
I was rejected as a downer. That didn't set well with me, but the younger Bro is stepping foreword.

God Bless You
Greg