PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk optics.......

Trapp
August 12, 2008, 04:19 PM
Basis of conversation:

I have a flattop M4gery that I want to put optics on.

Problem:

The Choices!!

Discussion:

I have a RRA M4gery type AR. I want optics on it. Currently I have a Hakko red dot on it......Like this one:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/4649/976970265/wm_sm_599710.jpg

What makes the "other" ones so much better and easier to use?

I am interested in the Holosight, aimpoint, trijicon, burris fastfire, bushnell trophy.......and a multitude of others.

Take the Bushnell Trophy like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/thumbnail?saleitemid=859535

What makes looking through an unmagnified tube better than a HUD type red dot?

I have a sightron on my SBH and honestly I think for something unmagnified I like the open glass vs the tube. I haven't tried it on a rifle so I don't really know for sure though.

How about magnified?

Like this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/thumbnail?saleitemid=163877

Does it make the rifle slower? One eye shooting only? Better accuracy?

That 2x Aimpoint isn't really that expensive (especially since it is $100 off right now)

Rifle use: (cuz I know someone will ask)

Nothing serious. Yet. I might take it deer hunting depending on how my loads group with it. (don't talk to me about ethics of killing a 120lb deer with a 223 please, that is for another thread...)

Other than that, just something to spit lead at a fairly quick rate......No benchrest for this gun..

awpk03s
August 12, 2008, 05:31 PM
I just got that same Bushnell Trophy from UPS today, and mounted it on my AK. I am looking forward to shooting it, I'll let you know how it performs... I was attracted to it because of price - $138.

flyboy14
August 12, 2008, 08:29 PM
take a look at the trijicon 3-9 40mm, I had the same dillemma a few months ago and decided on one. They are extremely crisp, and with the amber triangle target acquisition is excellent. I looked at the acogs, but my rifle was going to be used more for coyote. They are actually designed to be used with both eyes open, and once you get used to it, you will love it. Best of both worlds, and cheaper than an acog. Plus it is kind of cool to be able to see the triangle light up in pitch black.

tINY
August 13, 2008, 07:39 PM
The Hakko/C-More "HUD" type is nice in a lot of ways. It's light, the Hakko has multiple reticules, and it doesn't cover much of your field of view.

They do have some issues in misty/foggy weather ( I live in Orygun ) . Basically, the projector lense gets water drops on it and the reticule gets all funny - no point of aim.

-tINY

Trapp
August 14, 2008, 03:05 PM
Basically, the projector lense gets water drops on it and the reticule gets all funny - no point of aim.

So probably a bad choice for hunting purposes... That 2 Aimpoint power is looking better and better.

take a look at the trijicon 3-9 40mm

I like the idea of those, and I may get one for another rifle, but this is a 16" bbl flat top, normal front sight 223 carbine that I want to be Quick and Accurate

Thing is, the reviews on the aimpoint said it was like looking into a cardboard tube........ CARDBOARD TUBE!! Why would i want to pay a couple a Franklins on a magnified paper towel tube?

Is it something you get over? is 2 power quick?