PDA

View Full Version : Glock 30 FTF

the45er
August 5, 2008, 09:23 PM
Admittedly, I don't understand exactly how the Glock mechanism work, so here I am for an answer to a question. Today my daughter was out to the house and she wanted to practice with her S&W 357. I brought out my Glock 30 to shoot with her. I fired two clips through the Glock, no problem. She wanted to shoot it so I loaded a clip for her. Bang - then failure to fire. The weird thing was, the fired round ejected fine and a new round chambered and the slide looked fully forward. But the striker had not cocked. I certainly understand how a weak wrist can cause stovepipes in semi-autos, but this Glock looked "ready to fire", but wouldn't. Interestingly, she fired three clips through my Browning HP without a hiccup. What gives with that Glock?

Unregistered
August 5, 2008, 09:29 PM
So it worked for you, then it didn't work for her?

Did you try to shoot it again after she did?

the45er
August 5, 2008, 09:49 PM
I shot 20+ rounds with it after it failed to fire with her. In fact, when it failed, I took the pistol, ejected the live round that was in the chamber, then fired the gun. She fired the first shot three times, and all three times the pistol put a live round in the chamber, but it was apparently not cocked.

vox rationis
August 5, 2008, 10:05 PM
So it worked perfectly for you, but not while she shot it...I'll go out on a limb here ;) ... and say she was limp wristing it..pretty classic case actually :)

Unregistered
August 5, 2008, 10:09 PM
I have seen limp wristed Glocks jam, but it sounds like the problem is that the trigger did not reset. From the way he describes it, the gun cycled ok

vox rationis
August 5, 2008, 10:18 PM
I have seen limp wristed Glocks jam, but it sounds like the problem is that the trigger did not reset. From the way he describes it, the gun cycled ok

hmm..good point, but I wonder if the slide was in actuality in full batery..maybe it was slightly out, and if so that still could have been limp wristing.. but if the action was fully cycled, as evidenced by proper extraction/ejection and chambering of a fresh round, I just can't see how the trigger wouldn't have reset, again if the slide returned to full battery...hmm interesting, I'm sure some super duper Glock Guru will show up and explain this to us :D

I wonder if the slide can cycle enough to eject but not enough to cock the striker :confused: I don't have any empty 9mm cases or else I'd try a little experiment with my Glock.

the45er
August 5, 2008, 10:28 PM
Yes, the rounds were apparently in full battery as the slide LOOKED all the way forward. Yet the gun wasn't cocked. That's what puzzling the heck out of me. Jams from limp wrists are common, but no jam occurred in this case.