PDA

View Full Version : Guns similar to P11?

chris in va
August 3, 2008, 01:54 AM
My friend just informed me it's time to get his CC permit. He asked what to look for, here's his stipulations.

Inexpensive, ~$300
Small for CC
At least 9mm
Not a revolver
No manual safety
Harder trigger pull to prevent ND
Reliable

Of course I recommended my P11, but that was pretty much all I could come up with. Maybe the PF9, but that sucker is REALLY thin.

He wants more than 5 shots, so the revolver is out.

kristop64089
August 3, 2008, 07:58 AM
Well he's ruled out alot of good guns with his price, and safety.
I think he'd looking at a Kahr(CW). Possibly Glock, or M&P. His price is limiting

Taurus PT-111 is a good little gun, but has the manual safetey. I had a PT-140, and it had the best ergo's of any small frame auto I tried.

Another possibility would be a Bersa Mini-9. I had the fullsize version, and it was an awesome gun, Does have the safety tho. Also depressing lack of aftermarket support.

Or he could go the Sig P6 route, and get an awesome gun with decocker(so safetey is still heavy trigger), Get an excellent gun for around $300. Does have limited capacity tho.

Check here www.summitgunbroker.com

Mark is a great guy, I asked for a handpicked "best-in-class" and got a 98% or better P-6

chris in va
August 3, 2008, 11:08 AM
I was going to recommend a P6 to my friend, but found out it's not really set up to digest hollowpoint ammo. Plus it's quite large and he's only 140 pounds.

The Kahr would probably be the next best thing if it wasn't so darn expensive.

He just moved to Alabama and discovered how easy it is to get your permit. Plus he's got a new baby and learned there were a few recent armed robberies nearby.

B.N.Real
August 3, 2008, 11:12 AM
PF9-KelTec.

The blued model.

But I would recommend the hard chromed model if he come afford the higher price.

KyJim
August 3, 2008, 11:46 AM
You can get a SW Sigma in 9mm or .40 SW that would work in that price range, though the grip might be a little large. It is double action only (striker fired). For about $400, you can get a more compact SW -- the 908 which is traditional double action (double action first shot, single action thereafter). It has a safety/decocker but can be carried hammer down without the safety. I have the upscale version, the 3913, and it is just about the perfect concealed carry pistol.

The 908 can be found at Bud's Gunshop. Bud's lists them as being double action only but this is incorrect. You can verify this on SW's page that they are traditional double action.

shamus005
August 3, 2008, 05:48 PM
I'd recommend the P11 with those criteria.

my P11 review here. (http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/08/kel-tec-p-11.html)

Dr_2_B
August 3, 2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah either of the Kel-tecs, the pf9 or the p11. On the other hand, I agree with him about no external safeties but I have a Taurus pt145. I ignore the safety and it ignores me. The manual safety might as well not exist and I believe that's the safest way to keep a handgun.