PDA

View Full Version : QUIKCLOT - do you bring it along?

GM-GUY
July 30, 2008, 05:52 PM
I've seen that Cabela's is now carrying a sport version of the Military ACS+. They don't sell the powder, it's embedded in a sponge and stops severe bleeding (or so it says). The military has been using it in Afghanistan & Iraq with success.

So, my question. I'm going Caribou hunting via float plane, would you add this stuff to your first aid kit for the trip? Seems like a perfect place to get hurt bad far away from the docs.

scottycoyote
July 30, 2008, 06:10 PM
ive got some quickclot, as well as a suture kit, and the snake bit suction kit i picked up off ebay in my first aid kit.........to me stuff like that is way more important than a few bandaids and some moleskin......i can survive something that just needs a bandaid, im more worried about something more life threatening. Like u said, get hurt out far away with no docs, something like that could make all the diff.

Shorts
July 30, 2008, 06:10 PM
Couldn't hurt to have it on hand (and some sort of med pack). If there's a female running around with you, she's probably got 'stuff' that'll work in a pinch as well.

hoytinak
July 30, 2008, 06:30 PM
If there's a female running around with you, she's probably got 'stuff' that'll work in a pinch as well.

That's what I used on my last 5 deployments...works great for bullet and shrapnel holes. :)

DRD
July 30, 2008, 07:53 PM
My understanding is that female hygiene products contain an anti-clotting chemical.

hoytinak
July 30, 2008, 08:00 PM
My understanding is that female hygiene products contain an anti-clotting chemical.

But they work GREAT for quick firstaid to contain the bleeding till you can get them to the aid station or a medivac flown in.

Shorts
July 30, 2008, 08:19 PM

No idea as to the chemical used, though in my experience, they do not clot.

As said though, in a pinch, it could buy you enough time to seek treatment. And the amount of time varies with flow and absorbency rating of the particular item :o

fisherman66
July 30, 2008, 08:26 PM
Go ahead and pack some midol too.

Shorts
July 30, 2008, 09:50 PM
:rolleyes:

IZinterrogator
July 31, 2008, 12:23 AM
I have a few packs of the original powder out in my truck, along with a few other supplies. I should probably go check the expiration date on it one of these days.

Jermtheory
July 31, 2008, 03:56 PM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/jermwarfare_2007/fannypackin007.jpg

fisherman66
July 31, 2008, 04:05 PM
My Apologies, Shorts.

I don't know what came over me.:o

Ledbetter
July 31, 2008, 04:25 PM
If you've ever watched yourself bleed a lot, you would want some of this. I'm gonna get some, so thanks.

hogdogs
July 31, 2008, 06:47 PM
we use it on the hog dogs that get cut by hogs... Never tried it on our selves though.
Brent

AF_Reloader
August 10, 2008, 04:04 AM
I've got a couple of packets in the FAK we've been issued over here, but read the warning labels before you buy! That stuff clots blood, yeah, but a mistake can mess you up.

I'll bring it in tomorrow and update the post with the exact label.

Curtis(USAF)
August 11, 2008, 03:37 AM
Yeah, the embedded pads sound like a good idea, but the loose powder can screw you up (If not outright kill you) if you ain't careful.

I wouldn't even fool with the powder packs, too great a chance you'd wind up inhaling the fumes or getting them in your eyes. Really interesting; in SABC training, they bounced quickclot down to below Tourniquets in the list last resorts. Along with the inhalation and orifice issues already known, the chemical also releases large amounts of heat when activated.

That being said, I've been wanting some of those pads to throw in my aid kit in my car, just in case.

AFshooter
August 18, 2008, 11:26 PM
The ACS is a big improvement over the granules. The granules must be scraped out of a wound since they react with water. The "gauze" can be applied under the standard Israeli bandage and then removed at the hospital.

The stuff at Cabelas is THE SAME stuff as the ACS+, at half the price.

When you use any agent like quickclot be sure to tuck the packaging/wrapper under the bandage so med-evac/paras know it was used without having to untie the whole thing.

Kreyzhorse
August 19, 2008, 06:59 AM
You'll be in God's country. If you have it and don't need it, no issue at all. If you don't have it and you do need it, you could be screwed.

I'd take it.