PDA

View Full Version : Update an Old Frankenrifle

Stephanie B
July 30, 2008, 12:43 PM
I have a pieces-parts rifle that I put together a long time ago. I'm considering updating it.

The action is a Interarms Mk-X long Mauser action. The barrel is a milsurp 22" barrel in .30-06 (if my memory is right, it was made by FN). The stock is an Interarms Monte Carlo stock (maybe walnut). The scope is a Weaver K4-1. Except for the action, I bought all of the other parts through Shotgun News (pre-Internet days).

I need to dust it off and take it to the range, my memory is that it shot OK. Max range that I have ever shot it was 300 yards.

Any thoughts as to what I should think about re-doing on this rifle?

Scorch
July 30, 2008, 01:38 PM
What exactly are you considering in doing your update? Refinish? Rebarrel? Update the scope and mounts? Refine the trigger? All of these are good projects, some yielding more practical results and others yielding a more pleasing appearance in addition. As far as recommendations, I would recommend:
* Replacing the scope: although the old Weavers were good scopes in their day, you can buy a much better scope for a little bit of money these days. Take a look at Leupold VX-II, Bushnell Elite, or even the new Weaver scopes. If the scope mounts need replacing, it can make the whole job a significant upgrade in looks as well as performance.
* Adjusting the trigger or replacing the trigger with an adjustable model: some of the Mark X rifles came with a two-stage trigger that was not adjustable, but most of them have a very nice adjustable trigger. A good smith can adjust the trigger to a very crisp and light pull with a minimum of effort. If you have a non-adjsutable trigger, a Timney trigger can be installed in just a few minutes.
* Refinishing the wood: The wooden Mark X stocks were made of European walnut. That said, quite a few of them were the plainest pieces of walnut I have ever seen, with some of them having so much sapwood on them as to make them not worth re-doing. The factory put a brownish varnish finish on them to make them more uniform, but the varnish tended to crack and cloud up. I have refinished many Mark X stocks and had them turn out to be quite beautiful, while others were just so-so due to the wood color and grain being unremarkable. If you want to refinish the existing wood, you can strip it and refinish it with TruOil for a very small investment of time and effort if you have the skill, or pay a smith to do so. For a very modest cost, you can buy an unfinished stock and inlet, shape, and finish it to be an amazing showpiece. If that is the path you would like to take, go to www.rifle-stocks.com and look at their offerings. I have photos of stocks I have refinished and others I have built from unfinished blanks, and either way can yield a great looking rifle. If you would like, I can offer advice on how and what to do, as could some of the other qualified members on this forum.

Other than the work suggested above, you can:
* have the rifle re-blued (makes it look like brand new).
* rebarrel with an aftermarket barrel- this will typically greatly improve the accuracy of any older rifle, but can cost as much as or more than the rifle is worth if you choose a premium barrel. Cheaper barrels will yield good results but accuracy can be so-so, but still better than a 60 year old milsurp barrel.

Stephanie B
July 30, 2008, 02:29 PM
The first thing I was thinking about was to replace the scope. The trigger is pretty nice, so I'm probably going to leave that alone.

I need to take it to the range and really assess how well it shoots now, but that won't be for a few weeks.

Stephanie B
August 1, 2008, 07:12 PM
This is the rifle

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34658&stc=1&d=1217635937

Stephanie B
August 10, 2008, 04:27 PM
rebarrel with an aftermarket barrel- this will typically greatly improve the accuracy of any older rifle, but can cost as much as or more than the rifle is worth if you choose a premium barrel. Cheaper barrels will yield good results but accuracy can be so-so, but still better than a 60 year old milsurp barrel.

I shot it this afternoon. The rifle turned out 3-round touching groups at 100 yards with Remington 165gr Core-Lokt rounds from Wally-Mart. I think I'll leave the barrel alone. :)

onemsumba
August 11, 2008, 07:06 PM
seems like you should replace your camera :barf:and leave the rifle alone.

Stephanie B
August 12, 2008, 11:51 AM
It's not the greatest digital camera around, that's for damn sure. I ought to get a decent SLR, but times are tight for toys. I blew my stimulus check on that 91/30 repro sniper. :)

Jim Watson
August 12, 2008, 11:56 AM
Sounds like the barrel and scope are ok.

I'd look into refinishing the stock, that Interarms stock with the checkering full of varnish is typical of the type, and ugly.