PDA

View Full Version : Powder burns from a Ruger 10/22

rburch
July 29, 2008, 08:06 PM
Okay, so I was shooting my 10/22 this evening, and noticed that my left forearm was beginning to sting.

I looked down and saw a bunch of powder residue on my arm. The only place it could come from would have been the magazine.

I'm guessing that as the action cycled gas and residue slipped out through the gaps between the magazine and the mag well.

Anyway, I'm not hurt in anyway, but I'm a bit worried that something is wrong with my gun.

So, is this something that should worry me? Or do 10/22's leak a bit normally?

The gun functioned flawlessly other than causing me a but of discomfort.

Lavid2002
July 29, 2008, 08:10 PM
Inspect the chamber, see if anythings abnormal...do you not clean it? .22s are very dirty....but they shouldnt burn your arm.

Walther22lr
July 29, 2008, 08:14 PM
Normally, my 10/22 will have a lot of powder residue in the magazine well. That is normal given its a blowback design.
The only time my left arm stung was when I was single loading ammo through the bottom and not using the magazine. One round split when it fired and some brass particles came out and hit my arm.
What kind of ammo were you using?

Ruger4570
July 29, 2008, 08:49 PM
It is hard to say what happened. I remember when I had bought a Browning Lever action 22 and my wife was shooting it and a case burst and hit her in the eye with brass particles. The eye surgeon called them "rust" particles whatever that means. I did notice a very loud noise compared to "normal" 22's. It may have been a "overcharge"

TPAW
July 29, 2008, 09:32 PM
my wife was shooting it and a case burst and hit her in the eye with brass particles.

Hope her eye is OK, and also hope she is wearing eye protection.

Ruger4570
July 29, 2008, 10:13 PM
Her eye is fine. The accident happened in the early or mid 70's when eye and ear protection wasn't the issue it is now. I truly suspect the Winchester 22LR was an overload as it sounded more like a centerfire than a 22 LR. I was halfway to my truck when it happened and I turned around to see what happened because of the LOUD report, only to see her drop the Browning and grab her face.
Fortunatly, it is only a memory as no real permenent damage was done. I, on the other hand was blessed with nearsighted vision and always wear glasses. She STILL doesn't need glasses. I guess she is aging better than I.

rburch
July 30, 2008, 05:37 PM
I may need to give it a better cleaning, I bought it used, and this was the first time firing it. I sprayed some solvent in it and ran a bore snake through it before I shot.

No this is not what I consider cleaning a gun, but I was running out of light and wanted a chance to shoot it.

The ammo doesn't seem to be an issue, none of the rounds sounded different, and all the brass seems fine. Also it happened with more than one round.

In any case the ammo was the Remington 22 Thunderbolt ammo. I'm planning to borrow the magazine out of my granddads 10/22 and see if it's a mag issue.

I didn't see anything wrong when I looked at it yesterday, but I'll still do a good inspection of the chamber and mag well. I'll let you know what I figure out.

If I can't find the cause and see know signs of damage to the gun, I may just need to change the way I hold the rifle.

I noticed today that I tend to grip the stock about an inch or two in front of the mag well. So if any gas escapes through the mag well it doesn't have to travel very far to get to my skin.