PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Grip Foren-end

target75
July 27, 2008, 11:28 AM
I was in my local gunshop yesterday and found a remingtion(#4823) 18" 12ga with a pistol grip stock and pistol fore-end.I really liked the feel of it in my hands.I'm looking for something for HD.Does anyone have any experience with shooting this ?

Thanks Tom

Nnobby45
July 27, 2008, 12:22 PM
Avoid them like the plague. It's not how it feels in your hand in the gun store that's the issue. It's how controllable it is not when you're firing it. Rapid fire accurate shooting is impossible.

Shoulder stocks with pistol grip for SWAT make sense since being able to hold the shotgun with one hand while keeping the other hand free is usefull in that line of work.

For the rest of us, lose the pistol grip in any form.

A pistol grip only, with no stock, is all but uncontrollable, and I'm trying to picture that pistol grip fore end along with it. AAhhhh! Good grief.

hogdogs
July 27, 2008, 02:31 PM
Isn't a pistol only grip on both ends a FFL tax stamp situation?:confused:

daveydoo
July 27, 2008, 02:53 PM
not unless barrel is short that 18" or if it is a street sweeper

mikenbarb
July 27, 2008, 03:17 PM
:barf:

target75
July 28, 2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the info guys.I will avoid that and stick with reg stock and fore-end!!!

Thanks Tom

Juhosaphat
July 28, 2008, 10:50 AM
Everybody is so quick to judge based on their own experience. I have a double pistol gripped 870 and I can control it extremely well. It all depends on the person. Plus, I think anybody with enough practice with any given weapon will become efficient with it.

To me, in an HD situation, double pistol grips are easier than having to shoulder a shotgun while clearing your house. It leaves your field of view completely open and having both hands in a pistol grip position (for me atleast) gives you better control over where it goes.

That's just my opinion though, and obviously, not everybody shares it :p

New_Pollution1086
July 28, 2008, 10:49 PM
I was thinking just earlier to day actually about putting the "tactical" style butt with the shoulder and pistol and a pistol grip in the front.

Im just not sure if its legal in California, and if it is and you know please PM me.

T

Ruger4570
July 29, 2008, 09:18 PM
Gee, when was the last time you had to clear out you home with your 2 pistol gripped shotgun?? You are right, I don't share the opionion at all along with most police departments and the military. Just another feel good tackycool mod.

Juhosaphat
July 30, 2008, 02:05 AM
You sound rather hostile for no reason. I was just stating my own opinion and preference. To answer your question, yes I have cleared my house a few times with my double pistol grip 870. The pistol grips are a very functional mod to me as they fit me very comfortably. Plus, with the rest of it's use (outside of an HD weapon) being fun shooting out in the woods blowing stuff up, it's much easier on the shoulder when putting 7-800 rounds through it in a day.

It's not for everybody, and most people do just add them to make their guns 'tacticool'. I'm not one of those people.

21CFA
September 23, 2008, 06:40 PM
Unless your home has a hallway or some room that is over 30 feet in dimension, put a laser-pointer on your weapon first. No need to shoulder a laser aimed weapon if you have it zeroed properly. And when you practice clearing your house, be sure to take note of reflective things that may change their properties if a BG is hiding in the corner.

Rustynuts
September 26, 2008, 06:36 PM
I shot my Saiga-12 folded like this from a high aimed position. Was a brisk recoil, but my no means uncontrollable. Still busted out the center target from 7-10yds. With a vertical foregrip it would be cake to shoot and stay on target. Plus I get the stock when I want it!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/Krustyboomer/familypics001-14.jpg

Dave McC
September 26, 2008, 07:52 PM
One more time....

PG shotguns, those equipped with a real stock with a separate PG like the M-16 are controllable.

Those with only a Pistol Grip and no stock are hard to control, powerful but inaccurate handguns. Adding a PG to the forearm doesn't change things. They're already horrible.

I got paid to shoot PG shotguns from the hip and to teach others to do the same.

NOBODY, including me, shot nearly as well with the PG as with the standard stock, which has evolved for two centuries.

And while a certain basic level of expertise may, after long and constant practice can be achieved with the PGO travesty, the same effort and time with a standard shotgun will see the user absolutely deadly.

I recommend the PGO fans here just try some basic COFs with their pet and with the same model shotgun equipped with a real stock and compare scores and times. You may be surprised.....

oneounceload
September 26, 2008, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE]it's much easier on the shoulder when putting 7-800 rounds through it in a day.[QUOTE]

800??? in a day????.....guess I'm having a hard time believing that anyone outside of an Argentine dove shoot, is doing those many rounds - just from a cost factor, let alone a recoil factor....sorry, calling BS....:barf:

T. O'Heir
September 26, 2008, 11:12 PM
"...Those with only a Pistol Grip and no stock are..." The absolutely most useless thing on Earth except for a rifle with no butt stock.
A vertical grip on the foreend of a pump gun isn't the same thing. Takes some getting used to though.
"...No need to shoulder a laser aimed weapon if you have it zeroed properly..." Shotguns are only zeroed when using slugs. In any case, it's not an aiming thing. It's a control thing.

GetYerShells
October 2, 2008, 06:27 AM
I love how some people expect their personal opinions to be cold hard fact for everyone else...it makes me laugh. If the man likes his pistol grips then that's his personal preference. Me? I took off the standard Mossberg Persuader butt stock and put the aftermark AT M-4 collapsable stock on instead. My wife particularly likes it because her being smaller she can adjust it to fit her comfortably. I left the standard forend grip on there. I see no need to replace it with anything else.

I never saw any practical use to leave the pistol grip on there. There is no way my wife would be able to use it with those things on there. But as stated before that's my personal opinion. I don't expect anyone else to care either way.

Chipperman
October 2, 2008, 04:44 PM
Apart from the controllability issue, I find PG only guns to be painful on the wrists especially when firing magnum slugs.