PDA

View Full Version : M2 Carbine Value?

Southern_guy
July 26, 2008, 02:01 AM
I've stumbled upon what appears to be a M2 Carbine converted to semi-automatic fire.
The stock shows many dents and scrapes, is cut differently than a normal M1,and is "squarish" in overall shape and feel, with a maroon wood coloration. The bolt is round instead of flat, and the charging lever has a "shelf" hanging over the bolt. Also, the adjustable sights are marked in bright white lettering, instead of just etched into the uncolored like normal M1s. The barrel was apparently heated red-hot multiple times, and the wood furniture shows burn and smoke marks inside. A tiny hole is drilled into the bottom of the bolt. It also had several unique 30 round mags that came with it.

Overall, signs of extensive usage, wear, and constant fire can be seen everywhere. The owner bought it in the early 1950s from the NRA, and rarely fired it. A gunsmith did state that tens of thousands of rounds had been pumped through the carbine, and it was of early 1944 manufacture.
Clearly, it was involved in some heavy fighting.
However, the reciever has a crack in it that prevents it from being used. Judging from the description I've given, what would you put the approximate value of the carbine?

kozak6
July 26, 2008, 02:24 AM
How is it marked?

If it's marked as an M2, then it's still legally a machinegun, cracked reciever and actual parts configuration be damned.

Southern_guy
July 26, 2008, 02:29 AM
There's no M2 markings on the guy's rifle, but the barrel has "General Motors Inland Carbine" on it. It just has a unique appearance/marks of extreme usage that set it apart from the other M1 Carbines I have seen.
Seriously, though, that is one screwed up law if what you are saying is correct.

Art Eatman
July 26, 2008, 09:57 AM
Probably came FROM the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) THROUGH the NRA. The "innards" are M1, not M2. Certainly, it was legal at the time of purchase.

Early 1950s? Could have been Korean War use.

It all depends on where the crack is, but welding as a repair to restore usability is quite possible. (My weld-up Garand was done well enough that the location of the weld can't be seen. Many hundred rounds have gone through it.)

Value? As is, no idea. Parts gun. Quality repair? A few hundred, anyway...

Art

Southern_guy
July 26, 2008, 11:47 AM
The crack runs straight up and down for one inch inside the magazine well/bolt area.

p99guy
July 26, 2008, 04:03 PM
Well there is the trigger group that has the metal part of the magazine well, and that can easily changed...then you have receiver, a vastly harder to fix problem if that is cracked.

Sounds like just a post war 2 config carbine with all the late revised parts on it..as most do....including a potbelly M2 stock which was the only type of stock made after WW2 for replacement of wood on either type of carbine.

if it has a charred stock/heat discolored metal and came that way from the CMP..it seen battle use in Korea most likely . Either way with extensive wear, charring and cracks...I wouldnt give much over 200.00 for one like that, if I didnt pass on it entirely....there are just too many in much better shape to be had.

Southern_guy
July 27, 2008, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't get rid of a rifle with that kind of history to it.