PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 firing pin

tcarr
July 23, 2008, 08:15 PM
I am trying to replace the firing pin on my rem 700. I have a tool to compress the spring and have it down to ehre i can drift out the pin, but the pin will not budge. I cannot get it move at all. i just recently had this rifle rebarrelled and built it into a precision rifle. The action is probably around 25 years old and there is some vibration when the firing pin drops, which I beleive is why I can't get better than about .4 MOA.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Harry Bonar
July 23, 2008, 08:50 PM
Sir;
That's pretty darn good accuracy but be warned those Remongton pins are "in there" and when you drive that pin out be ready to grab stuff!
Brownells sells a jig which makes disassembly easier.
Your gunsmith possibly installed a stronger spring. Ask him.
I doubt if the "vibration" has anything to do about accuracy, but it could.
Check your bedding and if not glass bedded you might try that at the recoil lug. It sounds like something else causing your problem - do you handload - tayloring your load might help.
Harry B.

tcarr
July 23, 2008, 11:50 PM
I do reload, and have worked up loads. I have about 200 rounds through it now. This is actually the first rifle that I had the barrel installed and the action blue printed, but that is all the work that anyone else did on it. I even built my own laminated stock in the culberson prone style, have had several of the folks at the range ask if it was a McMillan, so I think I did a decent job.

Yes, the action is fully bedded with pillars and barrel is fully floated. The firing pin and spring are original and I have bought a lighter pine with new spring, to reduce lock time and hopefully reduce the small vibration. My other 2 700's hardly move at all when the trigger is pulled, but both are newer and have the lighter pin that they use now.

I have built a jig that encloses the shroud and the pin and compresses the spring, so hopefully nothing will fly too far.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will just get it on a good surface and rail on it, since I don't need the old pin I don't guess it will matter if it bends a little.

Todd

Harry Bonar
July 24, 2008, 08:28 AM
Sir;
Looks as if you've covered all the bases - good luck.
Harry B.

James K
August 17, 2008, 11:25 AM
FWIW, by the time you notice that vibration, the bullet is halfway to the target.

You may have to drive that firing pin off the cocking piece. With the firing unit out of the bolt and the retaining cross pin removed, clamp the cocking piece in a padded vise, clamp the front of the firing pin with vise grips and tap on the pliers.

Jim

kraigwy
August 18, 2008, 09:54 AM
You have a re-barreled, printed remington that shoots .4 inchs and you want to mess with it. Hmmmmmm dont sound like its broke to me YET.