PDA

View Full Version : What do you tell the game warden?

New_Pollution1086
July 23, 2008, 05:32 PM
What would you tell him if this happened to you?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PxMmMbf249k

Oh sorry sir, want any venison?

T

guntotin_fool
July 23, 2008, 06:58 PM
"Look at the video sir, there was no way I could have guessed that was going to happen. "

Big difference if they are standing side by side, and you have one deer with 7 or eight legs showing. but that was a fluke.

azredhawk44
July 23, 2008, 08:43 PM
Happened to my gun/hunting mentor about 20 years ago, but it was two does literally standing side by side and in perfect profile with each other.

Told the game warden about it immediately, and he said "pick one for your tag." He just loaded the other one up in his truck and took it to a soup kitchen.

No big deal as long as your game warden isn't a jackass (and 99.9999% of them aren't), and you don't have a repeat history of accidentally shooting more than you have tags for.

pelletboy
July 23, 2008, 08:57 PM
My hunting saftey instructor (Had to take a Safety course when I moved to Colorado, because I didn't have my card from 20 years ago) works as a guide. Set up a client on a herd of Cows and two bulls. He gave the option to the hunter, as they were very similar in size. Just as the hunter fired, the second bull ran behind the original shot just as the trigger was pulled. Both were downed.

After the obvious 2 seconds of excitement, everyone was painfully aware of the consequences. the warden was informed, and took the elk tags of the hunter and fined him $500.00 (he got a $500.00 break for being honest)

I guess the warden was the .000001% was was an &#@-hole.:eek:

crowbeaner
July 23, 2008, 08:57 PM
Believe it or not, it happened to me once. The second deer took a hopstep just as I squeezed off, and I put two down with one shot. Luckily I had 2 tags that weren't filled. I just issued a coup-de-grace to the second and cut & dragged them both. Man, was I tired when I got them out!

hogdogs
July 24, 2008, 03:52 AM
During doe season I would just say... "Helluva shot huh?":D We can take 2 per day...:cool:
Brent

BIGR
July 24, 2008, 09:52 PM
One year during muzzleloader season I had two does lined up at 80 yards side by side and the thought crossed my mind, but I decided to pass on a two for one shot because I didn't think the .50 caliber would have enough to make a clean kill on the 2nd deer.

bclark1
July 24, 2008, 11:49 PM
Clean kill on two with one 30/06 shot. Actually got heart on the rear deer. Love those unlimited antlerless herd reduction tags.

davlandrum
July 25, 2008, 10:01 AM
I guess the warden was the .000001% was was an &#@-hole.

I don't think so. Couple of things are different in your story.

1) It was elk. In Oregon, at least, elk are treated very different than deer. Only place I have ever had my license and tags checked without an animal down was elk hunting.

2) It had horns. It is much more likely that someone might kill two on purpose "accidently" when there are horns involved.

We have a great game warden that comes in during our hunter ed classes. He has heard every lie in the world, as have most wardens. He admitted that a lot of times, he just has to go with his gut.

he got a $500.00 break for being honest I think he got a bigger break than you recognize, since you didn't say his rifle, truck, and everything else was confiscated...

Bosshoff
July 28, 2008, 09:43 AM
In my opinion, it was a pretty stupid shot, unless it was intentional (nuisance tags?). Always know what is downrange of your target. Isn't that one of the four rules? It is not like the deer wasn't a dime a dozen (10 other small does in the same field.) the doe wasn't going anywhere. Why not wait to fire?

hogdogs
July 28, 2008, 12:21 PM
Does are a dime a dozen but ammo is not;) That just cut the price per pound from .5 cent per pound to a 1/4 of a penny per pound:D That can make a difference to us po folk rednecks... But I don't have a camcorder either...
Brent

djonathang
July 28, 2008, 12:23 PM
Well,

What I know from bird hunting is, you don't take the shot if it means bringing down a bird that is illegal. In other words, if the limit is 1 Pintail, and two are flying side-by-side, you don't take the shot. The warden doesn't and shouldn't care about your story.

Trust me on this one, in the courtroom the honest mistake sounds just like the malicious hunter. Everyone says, I didn't mean to do it.

DG

hogdogs
July 28, 2008, 12:27 PM
We do not know if the video was made in a place where that would be completely legal. If not than it was irresponsible.
Brent

BurkGlocker
July 28, 2008, 12:46 PM
Was hunting down between Junction and Fredricksburg at one of my ex wife's cousins places. One of the rules on this place was to not shoot bucks, nothing but does and spikes. They took care of this section of land for some doctor and his family and they didnt mind someone hunting on there, just to not shoot 'their' bucks. They dropped me off at a stand, and had a corn hopper on the Scout and laid a couple circles of corn on the ground before taking off. (yes, I agree, this isnt hunting, just shooting fish in a barrel, and I made my opinions heard shortly after). Not even 10 mins later, HUNDREDS of deer literally swarm out of the woods. Not only were these deer well fed but had HUGE racks. Some of these bucks could've easily scored big on the B&C.

But I found this doe, just absolutely beautiful doe, and was bigger than most of the bucks on the field and leveled off on her, and right as I sqeezed the trigger, this spike jumps right in behind her, then BOOM, and both lay on the ground dead. Thankfully this was my first kill(s) of the season and had tags to cover both deer. I didnt even tell her cousins what happened, but just took the constant barrage that I took this tiny deer and huge doe. But I will say, Fail Safes WORK!

sureshots
July 28, 2008, 01:16 PM
This is an example of someone who is using enough gun to kill two deer at A time. Now is this too much gun? This proves that lots of hunters use more caliber than is necessary for Whitetail. No harm meant and I'm not critizing the shot or the hunter. I'm just making A point that I have seen debated many times on this and other Forums. Also for hunters who desire A pass through shot every time(which I think is A waste of energy also) Where is that bullet going? It went into another deer this time, maybe another hunter next.

davlandrum
July 28, 2008, 02:15 PM
who is using enough gun to kill two deer at A time

I'd guess 99% of common use calibers could kill 2 deer.

What I don't get from the original video was how it happened. It looks like it would be almost impossible to hit both of those at once.

sureshots
July 28, 2008, 07:56 PM
That is one of the points I was making. When the bullet passed through the deer it probably changed directions due to glancing off bone(ect.) How can one be certain of the path of A bullet once it passes through the animal. We all know that when A bullet hits A twig(ect) it changes its course.

JBriggs
July 29, 2008, 06:57 AM
Hope the hunter tracked the second doe down and finished the job. Irresponsible hunting!

cat977
July 29, 2008, 08:26 AM
I shoot 2 with 1 shot once, was thinning does and took a 200+yd shot and went down and found my doe and a yearling both dead, 6mm rem 700 100 Gn , there were 2 of us with optics and never saw the little one behind her

MrClean
July 29, 2008, 08:38 AM
What do you tell the game warden?

Really.... it's not my fault.... hold my beer and I'll rewind this tape and you can see for yourself.

:D

rantingredneck
July 29, 2008, 09:38 AM
"Will you help me get these two does to my truck? Looks like I got my limit for the day with one shot".

:D.

jhgreasemonkey
July 29, 2008, 06:18 PM
Trust me on this one, in the courtroom the honest mistake sounds just like the malicious hunter. Everyone says, I didn't mean to do it.

This is true. You get Major fines for these kinds of things around here. Mistake or not you dont have a chance. They label it "criminal hunting activity". They are ruthless on this stuff now in Washington state. I hear montana and other states are getting on the same bandwagon.

Kreyzhorse
July 29, 2008, 06:27 PM
Hope the hunter tracked the second doe down and finished the job.

My thoughts too as I watch the second doe struggle....

L_Killkenny
July 29, 2008, 07:47 PM
Quote by hogdogs:

We do not know if the video was made in a place where that would be completely legal. If not than it was irresponsible.
Brent

Brent, What the heck does legal have to do with irresponsible or not?

For that matter what does that shot have to do with irresponsible period?

I wish I was a saint so I can b%$h about someone dropping 2 critters with 1 freak shot.

I once shot 2 pheasant with one shot. 1 was running down a ditch and when it jumped I fired. There was another pheasant on the hill about 10 yards beyond hiding in the weeds. Dog found both when we walked up. Guess I should just turn in my huntin license right now huh.

LK

hogdogs
July 29, 2008, 09:01 PM
Irresponsible if unplanned. If it was intentional it was a heck of a shot. If not than knowing where your bullet may go is irresponsible. I try quite often to "double up" on rabbits, squirrels, doves and crows... Just never had the opportunity presented to do so on deer. One day I might even get 2 fine bucks with one shot... right when they are squaring off to fight over a doe would be sweet!
Brent

L_Killkenny
July 29, 2008, 10:02 PM
Brent, I hate to tell you this but it is absolutly impossible for a hunter to KNOW where his bullet is going after it hits a critter. They change direction and predicting it is completely impossible.

LK

hogdogs
July 29, 2008, 10:29 PM
From a tree stand shooting at a great angle it is highly unlikely the bullet will change direction and head on out into the great yonder... From the ground I do look beyond my target animal and if I do not have a dense woods, preferably a thick un-navigable swamp unlikely to be used by a hunter I won't shoot. I also use this criteria for setting up in the first place. I have let many pounds of meat walk on to live another day just because they did not enter my preferred shooting area. Like I also said... if planned... cool.... go for it... If there had been a third I wonder if he could have got it too. If he had only one tag, or if limited to one per day he should have passed on the shot.
Brent

sureshots
July 30, 2008, 06:52 AM
Hey Guys, I'm lucky to get one.

hogdogs
July 30, 2008, 07:54 AM
With my location I am unable to blame any one but myself if I don't get them. I gotta figure out the google earth thing to try to spy on the air force base to spot the terrain where they will be hiding from the lazy hunters... I hope to get in deep enuff to need to camp out there...
Brent

T-Ray
July 30, 2008, 10:53 AM
Where is that bullet going? It went into another deer this time, maybe another hunter next

That's why you're supposed to know what's in front of your target and what lies beyond it

sc928porsche
August 5, 2008, 11:20 AM
If memory serves me correctly, one of the rules in the hunters safety course says "Be sure of your backstop".

iloveguns1
August 6, 2008, 08:49 AM
Hit two big tom's last year with one shot. Had no idea the second was there until I walked up on them. Since I was hunting in a three bird county they both went in the freezer.