PDA

View Full Version : .22 rifle - barrel break in?

Idfred
July 22, 2008, 10:17 PM
I just bought a CZ model # 452 rfile in .22 caliber. With a center fire rifle I follow a barrel break process of shooting and very frequent cleaning until the barrel is broken in.

Is it necessary to break in the barrel on this .22 rifle?

Also, I need a recommendation for a .22 rimfire scope in the $200 to $300 price range.

Thanks,

Ruger4570
July 22, 2008, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't even waste my time (not even with centerfires), just shoot it and enjoy it. 'Course, my opinion and a 2 dollar bill will get you coffee even at Starbucks

sholling
July 22, 2008, 10:32 PM
I'm not into wasting my time on break-in procedures... But the CZ fanatics over on Rimfirecentral (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/) have some ideas. I have a CZ453 Varmint and some there advised complex procedures, others just shoot it. Still other advise never cleaning them until accuracy drops off. I can't do the latter I was raised with a clean gun is a happy gun pounded into my head. You'll also find tips and tricks for tuning that trigger over there.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/IMG_0046a.jpg

Depending on what you are going to do with it I'd say go with a Weaver V-Series scope. The 4-16x42 w/AO V16 (http://www.swfa.com/pc-2329-256-weaver-4-16x42-classic-v16-series-rifle-scope.aspx) is a darn good all around choice, but if you're going to do semi-serous paper punching the 6-24x42 w/AO V24 (http://www.swfa.com/pc-2332-256-weaver-6-24x42-classic-v24-series-rifle-scope.aspx) is a very nice scope. An adjustable objective (AO) or side focus is a must for target scoping a rimfire.

If you just want a fixed power hunting/plinking scope you can't beat the $200+ Weaver Classic 4x32 (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&src=D10&prodID=WE849421) shotgun scope that Natchez has on clearance for $80.

bhannah
July 22, 2008, 10:34 PM
Here we go again.........

Buzzcook
July 22, 2008, 10:38 PM
It won't hurt to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. I don't think it's necessary, but it won't hurt.

ISC
July 22, 2008, 10:40 PM
most rifles will shoot tighter groups from a slightly dirty barrel than a spotlessly clean barrel.

I've never owned or shot a 1/4 MOA rifle, so what do I know.

Of course I don't claim to shoot 1MOA groups with an AK either.

You can't believe everything you read on the internet. alot of people are full of crap.

DWARREN123
July 22, 2008, 11:32 PM
The 22lr being soft lead or soft lead plated so the barrel doesn't break in like a centerfire. Find good ammo it likes and shoot it. Cleaning a 22lr firearm can change the point of impact until the barrel picks up more lube from the bullets. You can test this by firing one brand of ammo then switch to another brand and until the bullet lube coats the barrel the bullets will usually impact to a different point for the first few rounds. I only clean the bore when accuracy starts to constantly go bad.

Scorch
July 22, 2008, 11:45 PM
Although I do believe in breaking in centerfire rifles, there is no point in breaking in a 22LR. Just clean it really well before firing it the first time and treat the bore with a bore conditioner if you have any, and fire it. As for the scope, a Leupold Rimfire 2-7X is my favorite.

darkgael
July 23, 2008, 04:54 AM
Just shoot it. More .22s are worn out by too frequent cleaning than by too much shooting.
Pete

Picher
July 23, 2008, 06:27 AM
I'm with the "just shoot the .22LR" crowd, though I never used to be. I'd even clean my rimfire benchrest barrel between targets, but no more. I'm shooting better scores with a dirty barrel!!!

The wax on ALL .22 LR bullets protects the bore very well. I've never seen a dirty bore on a used, grimy .22 LR from a gunshop not be rust and pit free, at least on the inside. That includes barn rifles that are so crusted on the outside that you'd expect not to see light through them; surely a moly centerfire barrel treated like that would be.

That said, some new barrels may need to be cleaned if they build up lead ahead of the chamber. If not, don't bother cleaning. The wax is a better preservative than cleaning liquids and much better than a dry bore. When I do clean centerfires or rimfires, they get a protectant prior to storage. Break-Free is the best I've found.

Picher

Art Eatman
July 23, 2008, 07:19 AM
Sitting here at the keyboard, thinking about low velocity, soft bullet material, low temperature and low pressure: By the time a .22 rimfire barrel is burnished enough to be considered broken in, there probably will have been a few thousand rounds put through it.

Odds are that a thorough cleaning before first shooting is a Good Thing. Get any preservatives out, get rid of any metal dust, dirt, goop, whatever from storage/handling/shipping...

CraigC
July 23, 2008, 09:07 AM
Just shoot it.

SilentHitz
July 23, 2008, 09:53 AM
I grew up around guns and hunters, never in my life has anyone I know had to "break in" a barrel...we just shot and hunted with them.:rolleyes: Much to do about nothing IMO.

Johnc
July 23, 2008, 11:07 AM
I agree with the barrel break in procedure. Not a huge necessity. Accuracy does get lost following a cleaning. I clean mine then expect to have to "dirty it up" a bit before getting tight groups.

I think most missed the question on scope selection. For me in that price range, get a Bushnell 3200 with an AO. You won't be sorry.

+1 me on rimfirecentral.com Like this place it is a good source of information. They have a group specific to the CZ also.

John

RsqVet
July 23, 2008, 11:22 AM
I'll stick with Gale McMillian on this --- no need for break in.

The man knew of what he spoke.

dahermit
July 23, 2008, 11:36 AM
I have NEVER seen a serious study that has compared rifle accuracy that have been "broken in", to rifles that have not.

If anyone has data gleaned from such a study, present it here or admit that a process of breaking in is an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem.

An opinion constructed around "breaking in" process removing small manufacturing imperfections, or some other seeming logical theory is not a scientific comparison. Give us the link to the data if it exists. If not, admit that although you may take great satisfaction from your mysterious ritual, there is no proof that it has any value.

mikejonestkd
July 23, 2008, 12:01 PM
The owner's manuals of last two .22 rimfires I bought said that you do not need to clean the barrel.

still, I feel better cleaning them out after each trip and re oiling them. Mostly out of habit...

most rimfires shoot better after a few fouling shots.

scopes: Bushnell 3200 or leupold VX-1 or the leupold rimfire line are good ones to look at.

Average Joe
July 23, 2008, 07:42 PM
Same way I broke in all my guns. Just shoot it, clean when done.

RedneckFur
July 23, 2008, 07:53 PM
I cant speak for all rimfires, but all of mine have shot best when I fire about 500 rounds between cleanings. I would recomend that you shoot at least 100 rounds through the rifle, push a few clean, dry patches through it, and then shoot it agian until accruacy drops off. when accruacy drops off, clean it again. After that, I'd consider it broken in.

Idfred
July 23, 2008, 09:47 PM
I will clean it briefly before I shoot it and then just shoot it and clean it as needed.

skeeter1
July 23, 2008, 10:45 PM
"Still other advise never cleaning them until accuracy drops off. I can't do the latter I was raised with a clean gun is a happy gun pounded into my head."

That's the way I learned it from my dad. He was a WWII gunnery instructor. "If you shoot the gun, clean it before you go to bed". Well, the oldest one I have is 50 years old, and still like new. I'm not about to change my regimen.

hogdogs
July 24, 2008, 04:50 AM
I thought barrel break in procedures in manuals was just so we could buy a thousand extra rounds of centerfire or 10,000 .22lr without wifey pooh being able to question "NEED"...:D "See honey it says right here...."
Brent

moonpie312
July 24, 2008, 06:08 AM
I pretty much agree with everybody that says just shoot it. i Got a marlin tube fed bolt action that i bought new. right out of the box. cleaned it and could not hit a damn thing with it brand new. the more and more i shot it the more acurate it got. probly been a good 200 rounds or so. havent cleaned it in that period and its hitting great. but clean it, and there goes all your accuracy.

Alleykat
July 24, 2008, 01:13 PM
To the OP: You're already wasting your time on the futile attempt to "break in" your centerfire rifles. Why not just waste some more of your time on the futile attempt to "break-in" your rimfire? You'll feel better afterwards!:rolleyes: