PDA

View Full Version : WWII 1911 value

the45er
July 22, 2008, 12:55 AM
I was in a gunshop today and the topic of WWII vintage 1911 values came up. I have a Remington Rand version 1911 that my uncle carried through the Battle of the Bulge (no affidavit to confirm it, so this doesn't affect the value). Just 3-4 years ago, this gun wasn't worth more than $400-500 on the market. The gunshop owner told me that these guns have doubled to tripled in value over the last few years? What say you guys? Is this true? Thanks.

RsqVet
July 22, 2008, 03:09 AM
In a word, YES, if it's all orginal WWII, not messed with post war, not rebuilt a million times etc, the price is definitly over 1k, in better condition form some makers it's over 2k.

Some of this is relative, a few guys that have lots of 1911's seem to have all the same ones at high prices all the time, other guys actually move product. None the less the price is higher than it ever was.

Some attribute this to "private ryan" or the Tom Brokaw book "The Greatest Generation". Suddenly everyone looked around and realized that the people who fought in what was the defining event of the 20th centry and much of recent american / world history were passing away and the relics of this era were going away as well.

So yeah the value shot up; I suspect a little has to do with general crazy prices the colt SAA market has reached as well.

Honeslty I suspect 1911 prices will soften in guns that are not 90% or better or very rare makers.

This stuff has not just affected the 1911 market... I recall when all sorts of usefull WWII stuff was very plentiful.... now not so much.

Magyar
July 22, 2008, 08:23 AM
How about a pic or two, or three.....:)

the45er
July 22, 2008, 10:35 PM
Right now, the 1911 is in my dad's drawer, fully loaded, 70 miles away. Since I've got 8 other 45 auto's, I thought I oughta leave dad one for personal protection. After all, it was his brother that fought in the Battle of the Bulge. (My dad flew B-17's over Germany, and when he got on the boat to come home from England, he followed the rules and dumped his service 1911 in a pickle barrel as he boarded the ship. He told me that the guy behind him had SEVEN 1911's in his duffle and he inspector looked at them and just waved him on board. Never said a word about the pistols. Jeez, I wish dad had have done that!

Will try to post pics when I see him next.

Stevie-Ray
July 22, 2008, 11:27 PM
The last Rem-Rand I saw for sale was 1400 bucks.:(

D B Howard
July 23, 2008, 07:19 AM
i have a model 1911 colt 45 serial number 70511..was in a shippment of arms sent to C.O. General Thomas J. Stewart of the Pennsylvania's 7th Division National Guard Unit of Harrisburg, PA. on April 23, 1914...the colt 45 is still all original, has all the correct proof stamps and original walnut double dia. grips.
from what i have researched the pistol was in colts production period of Jan. 1913 starting a #20,000 to May 11, 1914 to #83,856. the only changes colt made to the 45 in this production range were the rear sight, from the round type A with the "U" notch to the type B, flat top with the "U" notch which would have started around s/n 62000...also in april 1914 colt was the only mftg. of the m1911..Springfield was next, and they started at s/n 72571
the 45 still has beautiful riffling and the original type 3 barrel, and has the WGP inspector stamp, which ended at s/n 101,500...the colt i have does show the hardships it's traveled...they were well earned..to the US/Mexican border with the PA. 7th division in 1916...to Camp Hancock Georgia in 1917..
to become part of the Army's 28th Infantry (Red Keystone) Division..to England...to Calis France..on into Germay in WW1

D B Howard
July 23, 2008, 07:30 AM
i have a model 1911 colt 45 serial number 70511..was in a shippment of arms sent to C.O. General Thomas J. Stewart of the Pennsylvania's 7th Division National Guard Unit of Harrisburg, PA. on April 23, 1914...the colt 45 is still all original, has all the correct proof stamps and original walnut double dia. grips.
from what i have researched the pistol was in colts production period of Jan. 1913 starting a #20,000 to May 11, 1914 to #83,856. the only changes colt made to the 45 in this production range were the rear sight, from the round type A with the "U" notch to the type B, flat top with the "U" notch which would have started around s/n 62000...also in april 1914 colt was the only mftg. of the m1911..Springfield was next, and they started at s/n 72571
the 45 still has beautiful riffling and the original type 3 barrel, and has the WGP inspector stamp, which ended at s/n 101,500...the colt i have does show the hardships it's traveled...they were well earned..to the US/Mexican border with the PA. 7th division in 1916...to Camp Hancock Georgia in 1917..
to become part of the Army's 28th Infantry (Red Keystone) Division..to England...to Calis France..on into Germay in WW1

RickB
July 23, 2008, 01:05 PM
The first big bump in prices came in 1995, with the 50th anniversary of the end of the war. That was pretty-much the end of the $400 "shooter". The next big bumps came with Saving Private Ryan, and the 60th anniversary of the end of the war. Guns that were worth $500 in the '90s, are now worth $1500-$2500 or more. Remington Rand made more M1911A1 pistols than anyone - more than Colt - so they are generally the least valuable of the lot, but it's still relative. A minty RR is going to be worth a lot more than a doggy Ithaca. As noted, the value is tied to ORIGINAL condition. If it has the correct markings, parts matching the production date, etc., it is worth a lot more than if it's a mix-master or has been refinished.