PDA

View Full Version : RANGE REPORT: Kimber Ultra Carry II

bikerbill
July 16, 2008, 08:21 AM
My Kimber Ultra Carry II's maiden voyage to the range was yesterday, and it was a huge success.

I ran 100 rounds of Collins 230gr FMJ reloads through first, every one fired, every one ejected.

Then 20 rounds of Taurus 185gr HPs (they use the same bullets as CorBon's DPX), no failures.

20 rds of Federal 165gr Expanding HPs, no failures
25 rds of Remington 230gr Golden Saber JHPs, no failures.

I don't have a chrono (sorry) but accuracy was excellent. I shot at 7 yards, all 165 rounds shot in the black on 9" oval Caldwell Orange Peel targets, and most were in the center or close to it.

I bought it to carry, and after another trip or two ... and finding a holster (any suggestions?) it's going to take over that role from my Kahr PM9.

I was a bit apprehensive because of some negative things said about Kimber, but the gun had everything I wanted -- size, weight, .45ACP -- so I got it. So far, I'm delighted.

Love to hear from other UC owners; like yours, hate it? holster? favorite ammo? So far the Golden Saber is in the lead, it was the most accurate and easiest to shoot, tho none of the test rounds were hard to control.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Officer's Match
July 16, 2008, 08:32 AM
Congrats. Those Taurus "DPX" rounds have a large and sharp hollow point, so you've got yourself a good one since it feeds those. Just make sure you understand how to properly fieldstrip it since the type II parts can get damaged if not done properly.

clown714
July 16, 2008, 08:43 AM
sounds like my pistols.

I have 2,both seem to like the golden sabres,also.

I have been pretty happy w\g-code paddle holsters.

bout time we hear some positives about kimber:rolleyes:

clown

Playboypenguin
July 16, 2008, 09:31 AM
I do not have an Ultra Carry II but did have a Pro Carry II and sold it. If it had been the Ultra Carry I would have probably kept it. Nice to see a glowing review of the Ultra.

Socrates
July 16, 2008, 10:34 AM
I hated the beavertail on the gun....
I should have just had it removed...

farnorthdan
July 16, 2008, 02:42 PM
My UCII runs perfect now, after putting a few hundred rounds threw it. It now has probably a couple thousand threw it. I put some crimson trace grips on and I recommend them for the ultra carry as the site radius is kinda short.

As far as holsters go I have a few, a Galco small of the back and my favorite a Brigade IWB which is perfect for the UC but be patient if you order one because it can take over six months to get one as they make them to order.

fastforty
July 16, 2008, 03:06 PM
Thanx for the review. I'm about 2-3 weeks behind you- been carrying a PM9 for close to 5 years & recently there has been a 1911 bug chewing away at me. I'm leaning toward the Ultra Carry CDP (man, that is a sweet looking pistol). Problem is, I gotta travel 60 miles (120 miles round trip @20 MPG) to get my hands on one.

It's actually pretty easy to find good reviews on Kimbers, & a LOT of the bad ones are armchair commandos repeating what other armchair commandos have repeated from someone who never actually saw a Kimber (funny how bad reviews multiply like bunnies & good reviews just sit there, holding their merit).

aggie01
July 16, 2008, 03:14 PM
If you want leather, go to holsters.org. They're all hand-boned, and the finest quality I have ever seen. (My dad was a saddlemaker, I know good leather work when I see it.) I have a shoulder rig for my baby Glock and a belt holster for my Glock 23. They're both very comfortable. I bought a belt from him, too, and it's the best gun belt I've ever had.

If you want sythetic paddle holster, get a blackhawk serpa holster. Better quality, comfort, and weapon retention than Fobus.

I'd also look at clipdraw.com for IWB carry. I wouldn't reccomend carrying "cocked and locked", though.

nobanforme
July 16, 2008, 03:47 PM
I also have been very happy with mine. I have 5 Kimbers and have not had a problem with any of them.

packa45
July 16, 2008, 04:18 PM
I'd also look at clipdraw.com for IWB carry. I wouldn't reccomend carrying "cocked and locked", though.

A 1911 is safer to carry cocked and locked like it was designed to be carried than with the hammer down on a live round. If you're recommending he carry condition 3 then I do hope the threat to his life, should he encounter one, does him the courtesy of waiting for him to chamber a round before he shoots. :(

I'd really like to know why you recommend to him not to carry condition 1. I never carry a 1911 any other way and I feel safer with it like that than any other gun I own.....SA/DA, safe action, etc.

okolnc
July 16, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hey Biker, looking at some Kimbers this weekend. thanks for the positive talk.
What are you going to do with the Kahr? Have a friend looking for one.

JDG
July 16, 2008, 04:53 PM
Glad your happy:) I carry my UC in my commander size Milt Sparks WS1. Even though theres an inch of unfilled leather at the end, the gun carries great, no slop. My gun had only seen my reloads till this weekend and had 250 perfect rounds through it, but my buddy ran some Rem UMC through it, and got it to slide lock on a half full mag, three times. Funny thing is, his son had no problems with the same ammo. Dont know if it was his off hand, hitting the slide stop, or an out of spec slide stop, but Kimber has a new one in the mail to me. After carring the little Kimber, my trusty G23 may never get in my pants again.:D

bikerbill
July 17, 2008, 08:09 AM
Hey, okolnc ... people have been harassing me here ever since I revealed that I carry a PT25 when I walk my dog ... the PM9 will be replacing the much-reviled .25; THAT'S for sale if anybody's interested ... ;)

aggie01
July 17, 2008, 09:53 PM
packa45, I always carry my 1911 "cocked and locked" if it's in a stable holster. The clipdraw, although convenient, isn't really a holster. You're just basically stuffing int in the waistband of you're pants, and the clipdraw keeps it from falling down you're pants. The problem I had was that, during extended wear, due to either movement or clothing snagging it, the thumb safety worked its way off. I still carry it cocked and locked with the clipdraw, but only for very short periods of time, i.e. going to the store for a gallon of milk.

Sorry, I should've been more clear in my post.

orionengnr
July 17, 2008, 10:00 PM
I have had two Stainless Ultra Carrys--sold one because "I really don't need two" but I wish I had it back.

Both were/are reliable and accurate. I have a Milt Sparks VMII and a Watch Six--I prefer the W-6.

Check with Nate at UBG Holsters if you want a good holster but don't want to wait 16-20 weeks and pay $120. :)

Mine is currently loaded with Winchester Ranger 230 gr +p, but after I get another 100 rounds of the Barnes X-bullet Taurus TCB ammo through it, that will be my ammo choice.

packa45
July 17, 2008, 10:10 PM
packa45, I always carry my 1911 "cocked and locked" if it's in a stable holster. The clipdraw, although convenient, isn't really a holster. You're just basically stuffing int in the waistband of you're pants, and the clipdraw keeps it from falling down you're pants. The problem I had was that, during extended wear, due to either movement or clothing snagging it, the thumb safety worked its way off. I still carry it cocked and locked with the clipdraw, but only for very short periods of time, i.e. going to the store for a gallon of milk.

Sorry, I should've been more clear in my post.

I understand now. I guess if I had that problem I wouldn't use that clipdraw thingamajig. Although a lot of people use those with Glocks and similar guns. I'd be more worried for those folks.

ragwd
July 18, 2008, 12:16 AM
I got to say its nice to hear from happy Kimber owners. I have heard so much negative stuff about them. My custom 2 is one of my favorites.

whippoorwill
July 18, 2008, 07:17 AM
Fastforty, you got that right regarding armchair commandos. And messages to the effect of, "I don't know about that, but I ....," also kill me. :) Some folks just need to pad their message numbers by typing anything in, even when it doesn't relate to the actual question by the OP.

Speaking of which, the CDP Ultra is a great pistol! I've mainly used 230 gr. FMJ (WWB) and 230 gr. SJHP in mine. I don't believe that I've ever had a FTF or FTE. Runs like a champ. And, I can't ask for more accuracy-wise, except from myself. I have a Don Hume holster (J.I.T. Slide) with mine for concealed carry. If you want a holster that provides a lot of protection for the gun's finish, however, I'd look for something else.

Officer's Match
July 18, 2008, 05:36 PM
Spent a little range time today A/B-ing my CDP Compact and my P2000SK. I gotta' say, the Kimber kicked the HK's German butt today. Both were 100% functionwise (as both have been at all times for me), but that Kimber was a heatseekingbullseyepuncher today. Looks like I'll never be able to make up my mind and be loyal to one or the other...wonder what else out there I need.:D

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/pix524880218.jpg

ehg
November 20, 2011, 12:51 PM
Am really interested in the Pro's or Con's of carrying the Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 with a cocked and locked hammer?

ehg
November 21, 2011, 10:55 PM
Am really interested in the Pro's or Con's of carrying the Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 with a cocked and locked hammer?

Nakanokalronin
November 22, 2011, 02:27 AM

Do a search, plenty of topics on most gun forums covering Condition 1 with a 1911.

To the OP,

I've owned 2 Kimber Ultra Carry IIs in stainless. Both where/are 100% reliable with any ball or HP ammo. My go-to mags for it are the KimPro Tac mags. The grips on it are actually black wood checkered grips. I put a solid trigger in it not only for looks but because a hand fitted trigger can be made to have a perfect fit.

From my 2 examples of the UC II, they are as accurate as the full size 5" 1911s with only a tiny bit of added recoil.

I used to use an 80 series firing pin to bypass the Swartz safety (it works better than a 70 series FP) but I eventually took out the Swartz system all together. Before the safety lawyer commandos come out, I put an extra power firing pin spring in it on top of a standard firing pin. Since it's there as a drop safety, an intentional defensive scenario does not involve the Swartz safety at all which is something I will leave others to have endless debates over.

It's my Winter EDC
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg221/scaled.php?server=221&filename=ucii.jpg&res=medium

ehg
November 29, 2011, 09:59 PM
Hey thanks, you are right it is a very accurate handgun, I will search other forums for an answer.