PDA

View Full Version : AIM - Converted Saiga?

Coomba
July 12, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hey all, anyone know if this is a converted Saiga? Is it worth the money?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_Saiga_7.62x39_Rifle.html

All I know is that you have to convert Saigas to accept the standard AK mags. It says there they take standard AK mags and they are pictured with what seems to be a standard AK mag. I've heard that Saigas have no bullet guide, so part of the conversion is that, so I was thinking that if it isn't converted they pulled some gunsmith trickery to make it work like it does. But what do I know, I'm new to all this.

Also, just got my C&R, and thank you all very much for your help with that, so if you know anywhere that has eligible AKs that would be great.

chris in va
July 13, 2008, 12:38 PM
I'm sure they did something to make a bullet guide. Another guy on the board had a pre-made Saiga conversion and his had a spot weld for a bullet guide. Seemed to work though.

Frankly you can do the conversion yourself. Find a Saiga for ~$300, then put on the parts you *really* want. Cheap, expensive...whatever works. I did mine for about $500 including the gun.

www.Saiga-12.com

Coomba
July 14, 2008, 04:26 PM
You know, it's funny I'm asking this now AFTER I ask about a product, but what exactly am I getting when I buy a Saiga. What I mean is, are they sturdier or more accurate or?

They're cheaper, that's for sure.

Also, I've never done any work whatsoever on any firearm whatsoever. All I know how to do is clean my USP and take apart my SKS. I have basic tools. What am I getting into if I choose to convert a Saiga?

Oh, and do they sell wood furniture for them?

shooter_john
July 14, 2008, 04:35 PM
In reference to your C&R, I just got a pair of the Enfield 2A's (.308) from AIM, they are a great deal on a .308 'battle rifle'. I stripped all of the cosmoline out of mine, reoiled and finished the wood, repainted the metal and they are now good to go. Haven't got to shoot them yet, but the bores are as new.

Coomba
July 14, 2008, 05:02 PM
John, thanks for that, I forgot all about those Enfields. Let me know how they shoot.

Also, about the Saiga's, a more specific question: how does it hold up compared to the AKs of lore: tough as nails, fire until they can't fire anymore and then fire some more, under all muddy, swampy, rainy, salty, sandy conditions?

Webleymkv
July 14, 2008, 08:27 PM
You know, it's funny I'm asking this now AFTER I ask about a product, but what exactly am I getting when I buy a Saiga. What I mean is, are they sturdier or more accurate or?

The majority of AK's on the market now are imported as parts kits and then assembled here in the U.S. on a U.S. made reciever in order to circumvent the '89 import ban (the reciever is what's considered to be the firearm, of if it's U.S. made then legally it's a U.S. made gun). The problem is that many of these aren't done quite right leading to less than stellar accuracy. With the Saiga, you get a completely Russian made and assembled AK for the same or less money than the parts-kit guns.

Willie D
July 14, 2008, 10:48 PM
I have basic tools. What am I getting into if I choose to convert a Saiga?

Drilling through/filing off a few rivets
Possibly cutting/filing a .5 x.5" square for the pistol grip nut (if the receiver doesn't already have one)
Bending a trigger guard
Drilling one hole
Drilling and tapping one more hole
Filing mag catch
Screwing stuff together

It's not super easy on the account of some crazy strong commie rivets but it's not rocket science. I cut the square using a dremel wheel on a crappy cordless drill. Would have been easier with a dremel.

Juhosaphat
July 14, 2008, 11:30 PM
I'm actually doing this conversion on my Saiga 20. No bullet guide for me, but the rest of it's the same sequence of affairs.

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_1.htm

Check the link. It goes step by step and has a diagram for where the holes need to be and whatnot. Also, check out Dinzag for Saiga stuff. It's all he does. In fact, he's who I just ordered my pistol grip conversion stuff from. Got shipped out today :D

Coomba
July 15, 2008, 12:41 PM
Alright, it looks fairly complex, for a guy like me anyway. I'm willing to give it a go though, the pride of a job well and self done is priceless right?

I wanted to convert it in order to have the true AK-47 feel you know? And from reading on here, conversions are done mostly to gain the ability to use mil-surp hi-cap mags. I take it this means Saiga does not produce hi-cap mags? Also, without the conversion done I won't be able to install all the tacticool crap for when the zombie gun grabbers come right?

So, in the end, I'm aksing what I can do with the conversion, what's the point basically?

Thanks again guys. Man, I really want a dremel tool, think of all the stuff I could dremel away and the immediatley regret.

Holy crap, a 30 round mag is 50 bucks. That's the beauty of mil-surp I suppose.

Juhosaphat
July 15, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'm converting my Saiga 20 because come on! An AK shotgun? How cool is that? :D Plus I like the feel of the AK platform better than the 'sporter' platform that the Saiga's import to the US in.

I haven't had much time to read into the mag interchangeability and whatnot, so I can't offer any assistance there. But they do make mags specifically for Saigas. I was just at my local shop yesterday and they had 30 rounders for 7.62 Saigas. The only thing is, you pay for them lol They were around 40$ a piece. Which is still cheaper than the Saiga shotgun mags :(

Good luck with the conversion though, and it's not as complex as you may think :p You can even buy a bullet guide and everything from Dinzag :)

chris in va
July 15, 2008, 02:40 PM
Holy crap, a 30 round mag is 50 bucks.

What? Is it gold plated? They usually run $14 or so for the x39 version.

Coomba, I detect a rather obvious note of sarcasm in most of your last post. Reason?

And from reading on here, conversions are done mostly to gain the ability to use mil-surp hi-cap mags.

No. Not true.

So, in the end, I'm aksing what I can do with the conversion, what's the point basically?

To convert back to it's original platform, knowing that everything is new and not fabbed from parts that are 20+ years old.

Coomba
July 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
Oh, the sarcasm I hope is only detected in the dremel remark. I've got this nasty, nasty habit of getting really excited with things I want to take apart, getting snagged somewhere, assuming whatever is impeding my process can be done away with my applying more force, and in the end I realize I snapped, scratched, or bent something. If I had a dremel tool, I'd be a gunsmith's worst nightmare. Other than that, I'm cool.

I suppose the zombie gun grabber/tacticool remark could be taken as a sarcastic jab, not intended.

The mags centerfire systems is selling are $45 and I assume plus shipping I might as well be at $50, but local stores are usually cheaper.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/762x3930rdsaigamagpartmagsai762-30.aspx

I never even thought that what I'm going to get is a new AK, thanks for shedding light on what is now an obvious pro to converting a Saiga. I feel like an ass for not realizing till now.

This conversion looks to be a hell of a bargain. Good suggestion Chris, I've taken it to heart. I've always wanted to build a firearm, this'll be a good starter job.

What's the easiest way to get it to 922 compliance? The best? From reading dinzag's parts descriptions, their FCG is 3 parts, the bolt on lower is 1, and I'm not sure if the bullet guide and gas tube will count.

Juhosaphat
July 15, 2008, 04:06 PM
The FCG is 3, you can get a gas piston for another 1. Anything else that is stamped 'US' or 'USA' counts as 922 compliant parts. For the 7.62 though, I think you only need 3 compliance parts to make it legal, so the FCG should be enough. If it's 4 that are needed, then don't forget about that American made pistol grip ;)

Willie D
July 15, 2008, 05:20 PM
You need to SUBTRACT 4 parts so that you reach 10 or fewer foreign parts including a foreign mag (3 parts). Adding a US made pistol grip doesn't affect the count because there isn't already a foreign made one to begin with but removing the foreign stock and replacing it with a US one does.

The simplest way is replacing the stock (1 part) and the FCG (3). If you wanted to add a foreign made muzzle brake then you could replace the handguard with a US one. The gas piston is the only other part that is easily replaceable (and it's not really that easy).

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16010

Juhosaphat
July 15, 2008, 07:17 PM
Stock is what I meant, don't know why pistol grip came out, sorry lol The gas piston isn't that hard on the Saigas as long as you have a cleaning rod or long screwdriver :p

Coomba
July 18, 2008, 01:43 PM
Chris, you're working on commissions from Mr. Kalashnikov aren't you?

Saiga ordered from Centerfire Systems. When it was first suggested that I buy one, I stumbled upon their site and they were advertising their new shipment so I snatched one up.

I will keep this thread posted just in case anyone cares about how Centerfire Systems did, how the rifle is, etc.

Thanks again all for putting up with the inquiries.

MD_Willington
July 19, 2008, 05:32 PM
IIRC they are TGI converts, TGI welds a bump as a ramp... works alright...

I have a real guide in my saiga.

Mags are cheap if you buy surplus.

I get mags for my S.223 for $12... they are 35 round Orlites.