PDA

View Full Version : magazine release for lefty

Topkicker
July 6, 2008, 01:42 AM
I am looking to purchase a semi auto with a left hand mag release either in a 9mm or 40 sw.I know several manufacturers offer ambidextrous mag release and thumb safety. I just want to know what the lefty's out there prefer to carry.

44 AMP
July 6, 2008, 03:45 AM
Generations of left handed shooters have gotten along fine without a left handed mag release, they just used their finger (trigger or middle, what ever seemed best for them).

Now, a safety, on the other hand is something useful on the left(right) side.

Randall made a mirror image 1911 back in the late 70s/early 80s, complete left hand gun, safety, mag release, even ejection port. Took left handed magazines as well. Neat gun, long out of production. Find one today, pay collector price, and forget spare mags, unless the gun comes with them.

c4v3man
July 6, 2008, 04:10 AM
You can work right handed pistols ok, but I prefer HK's, with their trigger guard mag release. I have a USP Expert that is my current favorite gun in .45, although you can get a variety of USP's from compacts, to tacticals, to experts and elites, all in 9, 40, or 45 (for most variants). I believe you can even order a conversion kit for a lefty slide release, although I'm very happy with my right one. I'm going to order a P7M8 by the end of the year, which I'm guessing will become my new favorite gun, but that remains to be seen. From what I can tell, the HK45 is mostly ambidextrous, except for the safety, which can be converted by the factory.

One thing that I would add about the P7's, is that they are ambidextrous, as they either have an ambidextrous trigger guard safety (M8, M10 (.40), M13), or a heel release which can be accessed by either hand (P7, PSP). There is no slide release, you simply squeeze the grip and it goes... really unique design.

Charlie218
July 6, 2008, 06:04 AM
I carry a CZ PCR in 9mm and I moved the mag release to the right side, I believe most CZ's can be swapped out with detailed instructions on how to on the CZ Forum website.

CZ's rock!!!!

Kreyzhorse
July 6, 2008, 08:36 AM
I can operate all of my "right handed" handguns just fine using my left hand. The index finger takes over the mag release duties without too much training. I wouldn't worry about limiting yourself to ambi controlled handguns if you find one that you really like. You can adapt to it.

The only nod I gave to a left handed feature was an ambidextrous safety on my 1911. First for function but secondly, I think 1911s look "odd" without a an ambi safety.

hkg3
July 6, 2008, 11:15 AM
Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=12749&st=849008101dd&s=30897) has an ambidextrous mag release for the 1911 from Smith & Alexander (http://www.smithandalexander.com/).

Topkicker
July 6, 2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys for all the valuable information. I agree with you that said " the index finger takes over". I own several semi autos with right hand mag release only. I picked up a Ruger LCP two days ago in Grapevine TX and have no problem releasing the mag with my left index finger even with a gun that small. The thing is I had the pleasure of shooting a SR9 with the right and left hand mag release. For the first time I experienced what you right handed pistol shooters feel. I liked it! Anyway, with the recall issue on the SR9 and all the mixed emotions surrounding it, I was curious what lefty's shot that offered this option. Thanks again.

Keltyke
July 6, 2008, 07:09 PM
I'm a "lefty" and I shoot "righty" semi-autos all the time. The mag release is easy to operate. Release the gun with your weak hand. Turn the gun on the left side about 45 degrees. Loosen your strong hand grip a little. Curl your index (trigger) finger inward and it will usually fall right over the mag release. Push and the mag will pop right out. Practice a little and it's really easy to do.

RickB
July 6, 2008, 09:29 PM
The majority of ADs I've witnessed were during reloads, when the shooter had their finger on the trigger while also manipulating the mag release. If your "trigger finger" is used on the mag release, as it is when a lefty uses a "right-handed gun", it can't also be on the trigger, so you get better function and greater safety. The only people I know who have installed ambi mag releases on guns not so equipped are righties who want to be able to reload like a lefty.

Topkicker
July 6, 2008, 10:55 PM
Guys I appreciate the tips you are sharing here. I am a seasoned gun owner and very much aware of how to handle a gun for a lefty, been doing it for many many years.

I guess I was unclear in my question so I will try again....

Other than the Ruger SR9 what semi-auto pistols offer an ambidextrous mag release??? I am not wishing to modify any of the guns I own now. I am looking for a new semi auto 9mm that offers this option.

Now is that clear as mud?:D

c4v3man
July 7, 2008, 02:14 AM
Other than the Ruger SR9 what semi-auto pistols offer an ambidextrous mag release??? I am not wishing to modify any of the guns I own now. I am looking for a new semi auto 9mm that offers this option.

HK P7, one of the 3 most accurate 9mm production pistols ever made.

Playboypenguin
July 7, 2008, 02:16 AM
H&K and Walther pistols have the ambi-releases that work well for you "wrong handed" types. :)

Topkicker
July 7, 2008, 05:31 PM
I checked out both the H&k and Walther. Both look very nice. I think the Walther P99 is very attractive. Thanks a million guys!

GHF
July 7, 2008, 06:40 PM
Operating the button is not the problem. The only issue I have with my Beretta 9000s is the fact that the release button faces AWAY from me, and therefore it can be pushed while it is in my IWB holster. The magazine could then fall out. I wish it faced my tummy instead.

I can manage it, but if the opportunity arises, I will be getting a PX4 Compact that allows flipping the magazine release.

Sidetracked
July 7, 2008, 07:09 PM
The Ruger P series pistols all have ambi releases.

american lockpicker
July 8, 2008, 12:07 AM
The Beretta mag release can be changed for leftys but I prefer magazine releases on the bottom of the magazine like the Ruger Mk II or Raven .25 so for a 9mm like that you might consider a Sig 210.

Playboypenguin
July 8, 2008, 12:09 AM
I think those are called "european style" mag releases.

obxned
July 8, 2008, 12:09 PM
I'm a lefty who has been shooting since the late Jurassic. I will never own a gun with a left handed mag release, but I do like an ambidextrous safety on a SA pistol. On SA/DA pistols, I decock and fire the first shot DA. Nor would I own a left-handed revolver or AR.

Having left-handed guns gives no real advantage, and if you ever have to use a normal firearm in a serious situation, your left-handed training could get you dead. If you are using a non-standard mag release, same problem.

Topkicker
July 8, 2008, 04:55 PM
Quote:"Having left-handed guns gives no real advantage, and if you ever have to use a normal firearm in a serious situation, your left-handed training could get you dead." I disagree with this statement because you should be famillar with what ever firearm you decide to carry. For instance,my Ruger Mk II realeases its mag totally different than my Taurus 45. I feel that I would be at the same advantage as a right hander with a thumb release for the mag. I'm willing to spend the money to test the theory anyway.I don't wish to engage in a shootout where I need to drop a mag and reload,but if neccesary I feel like I would gain split seconds by having a left thumb magizine release. One mentioned a holster could press the mag release and you could draw a gun with a loose mag. This concerns me more than my ability to quickly reload the pistol.Thanks for your posts.

Topkicker
July 8, 2008, 05:00 PM
P.S. Sidetracked, I overlooked the fact that the P series Rugers have ambi mag releases.Thank you.

the_pragmaticist
July 8, 2008, 06:07 PM
Crazy sinistrals...I just paid to have my ambi safety removed! My only complaint was that it seriously dug into my side with a t-shirt or bare skin between the 1911 and my ribs. On the bright side, I found a dremel tool took out the scratches from the left side safety very nicely with some maas polish and a cotton wheel.

Topkicker
July 8, 2008, 11:33 PM
Funny stuff Rsgraebert. You sound like myself polishing scratches out of your gun. Flaws drive me crazy! Between polishing on my guns and polishing on my truck I hardly have time for anything else. Oh yea shooting! Then I get to clean and polish again!