PDA

View Full Version : savage model 10 .223 action problems

doopman
July 1, 2008, 12:22 PM
about a year ago I bought a savage model 10 .223 bolt action rifle. now I havent been avidly shooting it I doubt I have even put 150 rounds through it last time I used it the first round was hard to eject because the bolt got jammed but after a little persuasion the bolt popped open and continued to function normaly for the rest of the day. however I took it out to the range yesterday and shot one round (stardard wolf brand .223 load, admittedly a bit old) and the bolt jammed again but this time mutch worse and after I finnaly got it open the casing did not eject. I tried cycling the action a couple hoping that the casing would eject and found that the bolt is extremely hard to work, it gets "jammed" everytime it closed and I have to wiggle the handle and pull relitivley hard to get it to open again. can anone help?

R.Childs
July 1, 2008, 01:29 PM
Sounds like you could have a pressure problem. Is the ammo you recently shot the same as you shot before when it did this once then functioned normally? If you can get that casing out, you need to examine it for pressure signs. Have you got the casing out yet?

I've also had guns brought to me that had stuck casings and it turned out the chamber was rough(rust). Is this a possibility? If you have a rusty/rough chamber, you should be able to see evidence on the casing once you get it out if you haven't already.

Are these casings brass or steel?

doopman
July 1, 2008, 08:58 PM
its the same ammo steel casing I havnt got it out yet but im going to buy some steel filler rod so that I can push it out better I already tried with a straigntened out coat hanger (dont wory I took precautions to protect the inside of the barrel) hoping that it would come out real easy but it didnt so once I get some of the welding rod I will be able to apply some more force to the casing and hopefully remove it ill be able to get you more information then, but it's probbably rusty like I said I rarely use it

R.Childs
July 1, 2008, 09:08 PM
doop, if you have a cleaning rod, I've had good luck pushing/tapping them out with it. I usually will let the casing/chamber soad in some Kroil but any penetrating oil you have on hand would do. Good luck...........