PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy differences Taurus 1911 or Springfield XD?

Bowhunter57
June 29, 2008, 11:30 AM
I'm considering the purchase of a 45acp, but want to purchase one with good accuracy. I realize accuracy can be a relative term, due to ammo, shooter skills, sand bags/no sand bags, etc....however, I'm refering to the weapon's capability.

My choices are: Taurus PT1911 or Springfield XD (service model w/4" barrel). I'd like to hear from those that have shot either or both of these pistols. :)

I've looked at the Taurus OSS, Taurus 24/7 (5" longslide), Kimber Mil Spec, Rock Island Armory Tactical, but keep reading better reviews with my original two choices. :rolleyes:

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Dabull
June 29, 2008, 11:40 AM
I have a Taurus PT-1911 and a Rock Island Armory and routinely shoot a S&W 1911. The Taurus is more accurate than the Rock by a good margin and slightly better than the S&W, but for costs several hundred less. I've only shot the XD with a 5" barrel...it was pretty accurate, but the Taurus beat it too. I imagine the Taurus would beat a 4" XD as well since the it would have a shorter sight radius than the 5".

dave421
June 29, 2008, 11:54 AM
My personal experience has been that the XD is more accurate. I would note that the PT1911 that I owned was one of the first and supposedly accuracy has improved. I was very unimpressed overall with the gun though and don't plan to replace it with another one.

You should really be comparing the XD Tactical to the Taurus though. That way you'll at least be comparing 5" bbls with similar sight distances.

Hillbilly Jim
June 29, 2008, 11:59 AM
My Taurus 1911 is more accurate with all my reloads than my Spgfld XD 45.
However I have not tried loading specifically for the XD. My reloads were all developed for the 1911.
What little factory ammo I have shot has also been more accurate in the Taurus.
Shoot often and straight
Hillbilly Jim

Bowhunter57
June 29, 2008, 08:56 PM
You should really be comparing the XD Tactical to the Taurus though. That way you'll at least be comparing 5" bbls with simular sight distances.

dave421,
I have to agree with you and I thought of it before completing the post, but let it go. Glad you said something. :) Actually, the XD Tactical is closer to the same price of the Taurus 1911.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Sigma 40 Blaster
June 29, 2008, 09:35 PM
I'm waiting to take delivery of my Taurus, but shot my 4" XD Compact and a super duper Kimber in the same range session a while back. This was with factory ammo in both, they both shot about the same. I would expect similar accuracy from the Taurus or any 1911.

sholling
June 29, 2008, 11:04 PM
I think that unless you're using a steady rest or sandbags or making your living as a factory sponsored shooter that you'd be hard pressed to shoot better than what an average example of either pistol is capable of.