PDA

View Full Version : New to centerfire rifles

DMMikey
June 26, 2008, 12:41 AM
I'm just getting interested in centerfire rifles. I've looked at reloading manuals, and various websites, catalogues, etc.
The number of calibers is overwhelming, from .17 Remington to .375 H&H.
Is there a good single source or book out there that explains what various cartridges were designed for?
I'm not sure just what specialty I would want to get into, whether just plinking, or benchrest, or long range.
Any ideas for a good read on this?
Thanks,
Mike

gianelli280
June 26, 2008, 02:09 AM
wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rifle_cartridges

dmazur
June 26, 2008, 10:42 PM
Each of these areas has had calibers developed that perform well in each.

plinking - shooting for fun, .223 typical low recoil centerfire
benchrest - shooting for small groups, 6.5x284 typical F-Class
long range - shooting for accuracy at 1000 yds, .338 Edge

You will find lots of argument the more you research this. For some, that's half the fun. (There is no single right answer to any question...)

To understand what's going on with the different calibers, I suggest you look up ballistic coefficient, sectional density, wind drift, drop tables, and reloading match grade ammo.

Then look up Leupold vs. Nightforce scopes and read about high end telescopic sights. That should provide a start on optics and reticles.

DMMikey
June 27, 2008, 02:57 AM
Uh, thanks I think.
The wiki article is nothing but a list of cartridges. Not really much help.
I guess asking for an "old media" source on the internet is a mistake.
I did find some useful articles on Chuck Hawks web page.

ryalred
June 27, 2008, 04:15 AM
The Wiki article is more than a list of cartridges. If you click on one of the cartridges, it will give a tremendous amount of information on that cartridge.

DMMikey
June 27, 2008, 04:46 AM
Thanks! Didn't see that, and since the title of the article was a list of cartridges.....

arizona hunter
June 27, 2008, 11:10 AM
When I first decided I wanted to hunt with something other than a .22 LR or shotgun, I joined the NRA and subscribed to their American Rifleman mag. Over the course of a year I was introduced to 223, 243, 6.5's, and a variety of 30 calibers, and many more. Then I was able to make a more eduacted choice on caliber. I decided on the 30.06 due to it's versatility and availability of factory ammo and reloading components. I'm still glad I chose it. If I were choosing today I might still get a 30.06 or maybe a .308 win or a 280 Rem., but either way reading over the course of a year will give you a good feel for what you will want/need.

When I decided I wanted to shoot prairie dogs I tried out my buddies 223 and 204 Ruger. When it came time to buy, I chose the 204.

So, read and also ask friends if you can shoot ther rifles and ask why they have what they do. Also, a local rifle range will give you that opportunity, too.

ginshun
June 27, 2008, 01:26 PM
There is a book titled "Cartridges of the World" by Frank C. Barnes that is and awesome reference for all cartridges, be it centerfire, rimfire, shotgun whatever. It gives brief descriptions of each cartridge along with some history and for some load and ballistic data. It catalogs about 1500 different cartridges from current factory loads to obselte to propietory and more.

It is available online from numerous places. I bought mine at a local Barnes and Noble. I've seen in online and MidwayUSA and I am sure it is available through Amazon or whatever your prefered bookseller is. I've seen it at Gander Mt. and Cabelas too.

DMMikey
June 27, 2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks again. Will have to check the newstands out a little better.
Cartridges of the world sounds interesting.
Unfortunately, I don't know many people who take the rifle too seriously around here. Most of this area does not allow rifle hunting, shotgun/blackpowder/bow only for deer. The landscape here is such that it doesn't make much difference anyway. Upstate NY is very hilly and forested, so long range hunting just doesn't happen.
The range on the field and stream I joined this year is fairly short.
I noticed that .308 and .30-06 had extensive load ranges and bullet weights. That was appealing.
Was considering accuracy and short ranges more than anything else. I guess I could stick to .22 for that, but....

azredhawk44
June 28, 2008, 12:06 AM
I noticed that .308 and .30-06 had extensive load ranges and bullet weights. That was appealing.

It takes a great deal of effort to make the wrong decision when ending up with a .30 caliber rifle.

Those two cartridges you listed were military cartridges and green recruits were introduced to them from WWI to Vietnam.

Both are absolutely excellent choices for a beginning marksman moving to centerfire from a rimfire background.

Was considering accuracy and short ranges more than anything else. I guess I could stick to .22 for that, but....

But... that wouldn't be much fun at all. :p

Just FYI, "short ranges" for those two cartridges could be considered as far as 300 yards. To punch paper, they are viable past 1000. They've been used by snipers out past that.

But, basic .308 military grade ball ammo (also called 7.62 NATO or 7.62x51) will run you about $10/20rds if you shop well and buy in volume. If you reload that brass with premium bullets and are meticulous with your powder and trimming operations you could have very accurate ammunition to enjoy.

If all you're going to do is punch paper, plink or otherwise not hunt, I'd suggest going smaller though. Less abuse to your shoulder, more enjoyable range time and lower costs.

.223 Remington is very affordable and accurate even in FMJ military loadings.

Kreyzhorse
June 28, 2008, 06:12 AM
There is a book titled "Cartridges of the World" by Frank C. Barnes that is and awesome reference for all cartridges, be it centerfire, rimfire, shotgun whatever.

I second this. I use my copy of COTW all the time along with Ammo and Ballastics III. Both are very good and give you basic information (A&B actually lists current ballastics on a wide range of commerically available ammo) on each round and allow you to compare and contrast any round you might be interested in.

COTW might be a better choice for you.

DMMikey
June 29, 2008, 01:40 AM
More great advice, thanks.
Yes, I was thinking a little smaller than .30 cal, because it looked a little cheaper, but then, the rifle wouldn't be quite as versatile, if I ever do get a chance to do some deer hunting where rifle is legal.
On the other hand, my arthritis is severe enough that I doubt I will do much of that. And recoil is an issue due to that too.
Something small and hot, like .17 rem fireball looked cool, but more expensive than say .22 Hornet.
Its a lot to take in.
Any feed back is really appreciated.