PDA

View Full Version : Question for Illinois residents

grampi
June 25, 2008, 11:05 AM
Does having a FOID card allow you to transport a hand gun in your vehicle, and if so, what are the stipulations?

Sturmgewehre
June 25, 2008, 11:29 AM
It does allow you to transport, but the firearm must be unloaded, out of reach of the driver (trunk if your vehicle is so equipped, behind the seat and locked in a case if in a truck), ammo stored separately (don't have loaded magazines in the case with the firearm or actually in the firearm itself).

There are a couple jurisdictions where you can not have a handgun at all, Chicago being one of them. You may pass through as long as your final destination isn't Chicago. I forget the other burb as I fled the state years ago to the free state of Indiana.

grampi
June 25, 2008, 11:50 AM
I figured my card would allow me to transport, I just didn't know the stipulations.

Hornett
June 25, 2008, 01:08 PM
On a related note.
I live in Indiana and make a trip to Chicago once every couple of years for work. I always carry when I am home. But, I have read the FOID law and I can see no way that I can legally transport or be in possession of a handgun in Chicago even in a locked box. The law does not in any way allow for a nonresident to obtain an FOID at all. So, when I go there, I have to leave all my guns at home.

Is there something I am missing?

One more thing...
THANKS OBAMA !!!

Sturmgewehre
June 25, 2008, 01:15 PM
Hornett,

It sounds to me like your final destination is Chicago (for work) then you return home. Even with a FOID card this wouldn't be legal as Chicago can not be your final destination if you're transporting a firearm in Illinois. If you're on the highway driving from Indiana to Wisconsin and pass through Chicago, you're fine.

You do not need a FOID card to bring firearms into Illinois if you're a resident of another state. People travel to shooting matches in Illinois from other states all the time, I used to for CAS matches.

Hornett
June 25, 2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah, destination Chicago.
Thanks Sturm.

rogertc1
June 25, 2008, 03:21 PM
Dont need a gun Chicago. It is a crime free zone

Mastiff
June 25, 2008, 05:16 PM
Yeah, pull the other one, why don't you.

There is talk here of Bill Daley, the mayor's brother, running for Governor now that Blago is hamstrung by the Rezko thing.
I think I might move if that happens.

Technosavant
June 25, 2008, 08:11 PM
There is talk here of Bill Daley, the mayor's brother, running for Governor now that Blago is hamstrung by the Rezko thing.

Does IL not have a 2 term limit for the governorship? Seeing as how he's already been elected twice, in many states (like over here in MO), he'd be out of contention.

But then, IL already re-elected him once, and it was already well known that he has corrupt in many ways; they just didn't know just how far it had gone (and I doubt they yet know the full extent).

Rampant_Colt
June 25, 2008, 08:35 PM
let's not turn this into another friggin' political debate :barf:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt%2E+24&ActID=1876&ChapAct=720%A0ILCS%A05%2F&ChapterID=53&ChapterName=CRIMINAL+OFFENSES&SectionID=60752&SeqStart=50300000&SeqEnd=53000000&ActName=Criminal+Code+of+1961%2E
http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1513/foidd1nu3.jpg

kyle663
June 25, 2008, 08:41 PM
try explaning to a chicago officer you are just passing through. if you get caught with a handgun in chicago, passing through or not, you will be arrested and it will get thrown out in court after you pay a lawyer big bucks. daily doesnt pay attention to the state laws, he makes his own up as he goes.

cecILL
June 26, 2008, 06:33 AM
Must be cased and unloaded. But can be on the seat next to you with loaded mag in the case.

Sturmgewehre
June 26, 2008, 11:09 AM
Must be cased and unloaded. But can be on the seat next to you with loaded mag in the case.
That's a certain recipe for arrest depending on what part of the state/city you're in. Granted, it *is* by law legal in most parts of the state (especially downstate where police aren't as a-holish about firearms) but if you get into the northern part of the state and you have a handgun in reach of the driver (even cased) you will likely be arrested. You will probably get off after it goes to court once a judge rules, but do you really want the hassle and expense?

The best way to avoid being picked up by an over zealous (or anti-gun) police officer who may or may not be well versed in legal transportation is to follow the method I detailed in my first post, ESPECIALLY if traveling through multiple jurisdictions.

I was at GAT Guns in Dundee one day talking to a couple of officers on the range. I asked them the law about transportation and they said pretty much what I outlined above. I asked them if I could have loaded magazines, even in the trunk and they said "no". Now, they are clearly wrong. But that's the the issue for me. When they stop you and arrest you they are right for the moment and no amount of citing laws to them will help... it might even anger them. Now you will be surrendering your firearm to someone who will likely not take care of it to your liking and you're now going to jail to be booked (and likely released after paying a bond which you won't get back). Your firearm will be kept in lock-up, perhaps shot, and won't be returned to you until after your court date and charges are dropped.

Is it really worth the hassle?

tom234
June 26, 2008, 12:25 PM
Boy, I'm glad I don't live in IL. I don't see how you fellows put up with the nonsensical laws and restrictions every day. Perhaps today's Heller decision will eventually bring change.

cecILL
June 27, 2008, 06:54 AM
Must agree with Sturmgewehre. Not saying it is prudent to transport as per my post, just that it is legal. The publication issued by the Governors office and Illinois State Police Director on how to legally transport firearms requires three things: "Unloaded and, Enclosed in a case, and By persons who have a valid FOID card."

ISP2605
June 27, 2008, 07:15 PM
cecILL is correct on the IL law. IL statutes only require the firearm to be unloaded and in a case. A case is defined by statute as "a container specifically designed for the purpose of housing a gun or bow and arrow device which completely encloses such gun or bow and arrow device by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no portion of the gun or bow and arrow device exposed."
The ammo can be in the same case with the firearm, magazines can be loaded, but the loaded mags cannot be in the gun.
Rest of this is not accurate "out of reach of the driver (trunk if your vehicle is so equipped, behind the seat and locked in a case if in a truck), ammo stored separately (don't have loaded magazines in the case with the firearm or actually in the firearm itself)." Similiar statements are often quoted as fact by those who are not familiar with IL statutes but it is not accurate. Unloaded and in a case, that's all IL law requires.

IL residents are required to have a FOID card to possess or handle a firearm. Out of state residents are exempt from needing a FOID.

There are a couple jurisdictions where you can not have a handgun at all, Chicago being one of them. You may pass through as long as your final destination isn't Chicago. I forget the other burb as I fled the state years ago to the free state of Indiana.
You can find the answer to that question at http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm
By statute any home rule municipality which passes any firearm ordinance is required to notify the ISP of their local ordinance. The ISP then posts that ordinance on their website. To find exactly what the particular ordinance says you click on the town you're interested in. Most of those listed passed local ordinances which mirror state law and are no more restrictive than state law. The reason for doing such is that it gives that municipality the option of charging someone either criminally under state law or non-criminally under their municipal ordinance. To those not familar with the law that may not seem like a big difference but it definitely is.

You can also get answers to the most common firearm questions by checking out the FAQ at
http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

Does IL not have a 2 term limit for the governorship?
There is no term limit in IL. As long as a person gets elected they can serve.