PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone fill their tupperware stocks

sthrnfryedyankee
June 24, 2008, 02:30 PM
with any kind of material or foam to make them denser?

Darren007
June 24, 2008, 02:56 PM
I took my cheapo Remington synthetic stock to work and filled it with Hysol (shhhh...dont tell anyone):p. I was going to bed the rifle with Hysol as well, but never got around to it.

Worked great and added about 1 pound to the weight. Which was fine with me since I only use at as a bench rest gun. :)

tINY
June 24, 2008, 04:48 PM
I epoxied an aluminium bar in the front end of my Model Seven plastic stock.

Made the forearm a lot stiffer and kept the barrel free-floated from rest or sling...

-tINY

Jimro
June 24, 2008, 05:35 PM
I expoxied in a couple fiberglass arrow shafts to the forend of a Savage stock, and filled the buttstock with Bondo. Added some weight and stiffness, at least until I got a B&C Carbelite used for cheap.

Jimro

RedneckFur
June 24, 2008, 06:32 PM
I tried using Great Stuff spray foam. It did fill the stock, but it doesnt feel any more dense or sturdy. Its also really messy to use. I dont recomend foam.

jmr40
June 24, 2008, 08:00 PM
I have tried the spray foam in the stock as well. The secret is to not fill it completely because it continues to expand as it cures. The only purpose would be to stop the hollow sound when bumping the stock into something. It is messy and I have foumd some styrofoam shipping peanuts work just as well and is a lot easier. Plus they can be removed if you change your mind.

KROIL
June 26, 2008, 06:24 PM
No kidding...A friend filled his Remington 700 VS stock with RICE !

jbrown
June 26, 2008, 08:42 PM
I made a newspaper plug and ladled in enough epoxy to make a partition across the buttstock in my 3 1/2 " 12 guage duck gun.Also put in a mercury recoil suppressor while I was at it.No more hollow sound.

TPAW
June 26, 2008, 08:50 PM
All the time. I use two part epoxy. The same stuff they use for fiberglass boats.

Dezynco
June 26, 2008, 09:55 PM
I once had a RamLine stock on my Mini 30 that felt "barrel-heavy". I wedged a lead ingot into the butt to balance it. It added a pound to the rifle, but it balanced better, allowing both my right and left arms to support the weight. There was enough foam in the stock to hold the ingot in place.

Ridge_Runner_5
June 27, 2008, 07:38 PM
I thought about doing it to my ATI'd 995, but felt it was heavy enough without the extra weight...