PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Steyr AUG

.351winchester
June 22, 2008, 04:02 PM
http://www.msarstg556.com

Dunno how I missed this, but you can finally purchase an AUG again. Awesome.
Hope I can scrounge up the 2K before any ban in the next 9 months or so.
The trigger is really 10 lbs.? Maybe to do with the 2 stage built in fire control on the select fire version? That's pretty horrible. could anything be done to it? I like the non-pivoting movement. I handled one long ago and was blown away, beyond compare. Fell in love right there. The looks and feel, 20" full length .223 barrel but a compact 31" OAL (no need to register here in MI unlike long guns under 30") the optics, the left hand cocking knob, the clear waffle mags...But as a teenager, a $4000. pre-ban assault rifle, you don't even get your hopes up.
They're going to be available in 6.8 as well.

Forwardassist
June 22, 2008, 04:07 PM
Well it is a AUGish rifle that differs in some major ways from a real AUG.

MikeGoob
June 22, 2008, 04:40 PM
My local gunstore has had a few of these on the wall for awhile. besides select fire how do they differ from a real Aug?

Moloch
June 22, 2008, 05:35 PM
I've heard of AUG's manufactured (copied) in the US in the caliber 6.8 spec or 6.5 grendel. If thats true this rifle would be pure fun! :cool:

Forwardassist
June 22, 2008, 05:45 PM
My local gunstore has had a few of these on the wall for awhile. besides select fire how do they differ from a real Aug?

The stock, bolt, and trigger group are different than in a AUG. PLus it has some other features not found on the AUG, such as a forward assist. Is is not a direct copy of a AUG but inspired by it.

Paochow
June 22, 2008, 06:34 PM
I held one of the MSAR's the other day and wasn't impressed. The quality is much lower than a real Steyr. The receiver and bolt had numerous machine marks and the receiver was noticeably different from the original. The plastic stock was also different and the shooting grip seemed thinner. For a $1000 gun maybe, but for the $2500 price tag it was way too steep. For that price I'd buy the FS2000 instead.

This company is also making a Steyr clone that appears to be more true to the original, although I haven't seen one first hand.
http://www.tpdusa.com/index.php

There are rumors that Steyr is contracting a company (Sabre?) to make the AUG A3 in the US, but I haven't seen anything concrete.

Logs
June 22, 2008, 08:54 PM
I saw it at the NRA show and it feels great. There is also someone making similar rifle, seems like it may have been FN. They said it may be out by the end of the year.

bennnn
June 22, 2008, 09:02 PM
I probably shouldn't do this,,because now someone will snap it up before I can get the funds together,,, but Cherrys has a Steyr Aug, S.A. Commercial .223 for $3400...

It's stock # 21062PEA

http://www.cherrys.com/longguns.htm

Forwardassist
June 22, 2008, 09:41 PM
There is also someone making similar rifle, seems like it may have been FN. They said it may be out by the end of the year.

I believe you mean the FN2000 which has been out for at least two years. It is only similar to a AUG in the sense that it is also a bull pup rifle. The FN2000 in my eyes is a inferior rifle to the AUG. I for one do not like the AUG, but it is a good rifle.

Billy Sparks
June 23, 2008, 06:38 AM
If you do a search you should find a review I wrote about mine. Overall I prefer mine over the FS2000. There is another company that is supposed to be bringing another one to market but I do not think one has been spotted anywhere but on the internet as of yet.

Icopy1
June 23, 2008, 06:49 AM
I had one of the Limited Edition Models that came with the Pelican case, tac sling, bunch of mags, and a microtech knife. I paid $2100 for it. Well, the first batch was recalled immediately. I was sent one from the second batch, which was supposed to have been fixed. Mine was a jam-o-matic. Out of twenty rounds of .223, I had 14 failures to extract. I cleaned the chamber and the extractor. I loaded another 20 rounds and experienced more failures to extract. I sent it back for a full refund, which they gladly paid, minus $70 for shipping and handling. So I basically paid $70 to test fire their rifle. I hope your experience will be different than mine.

Logs
June 23, 2008, 08:03 AM
I believe you mean the FN2000 which has been out for at least two years. It is only similar to a AUG in the sense that it is also a bull pup rifle. The FN2000 in my eyes is a inferior rifle to the AUG. I for one do not like the AUG, but it is a good rifle.

Nope this was another AUG style rifle. Rep said importation Nov or Dec. Actually felt a little lighter than the Microtech rifle.