PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Help me pick a .22 for my little bro.

MontyCop05
June 11, 2008, 01:00 AM
Ok so my little brothers 13th birthday is coming up in August. I'm going to get him his first handgun. I'm going to get him a .22 but undecided which as of yet. So I am enlisting the help of my Firing Line friends for some help. I'd like your experiences with the above choices, as well as your recommendations. I'm kinda a Glock guy as some of you may already be aware, so I was thinking of getting him a G-17 and conversion kit, so that when the time comes he can graduate right into 9mm. However I'm sure once he's ready, he will want something new as well. And for you Sig guys I am well aware that there is a conversion kit for the 226 but I'm shying away from Sig mostly due to the price difference. Also I included the Sig Mosquito as a courtesy. I know that some of you may have/had it, but i've heard they are nothing but problems.

Rackir
June 11, 2008, 03:27 AM
Just as an FYI, my wife shoots a Mosquito and once she figured out it's ammo preference it's done fairlly well. Useing alternate ammo though tends to give her about a 5% failure rate. Right now she's at about 2K rounds and it's still going!
Also, if conversion kits are an option, you may want to think about a CZ75. The Kadet kit for those is really nice.

NINE
June 11, 2008, 03:35 AM
A glock and kit would be great.

Going the more economical route, I love ruger 22/45 MKIII's. The 5.5" bull barrel model has adjustable sights and the option to attach a rail(included) for optics.

Firepower!
June 11, 2008, 03:38 AM
when .22, always p22!

packa45
June 11, 2008, 04:05 AM
I think the trigger on the Buckmark is about as good as it gets. I love mine. I also have a S&W 22a that I've been very pleased with. It's much cheaper than the Buckmark.

dutchgunsmoke
June 11, 2008, 04:09 AM
Ruger Mk III.

I have shot them both but the Ruger was - to me - the better and more accurate gun. It had a much better grip, the action felt much more easier and when shot from a rest the Ruger was far more accurate then the p 22.

Shadi Khalil
June 11, 2008, 06:16 AM
I had the same delima a little while ago. I just let him pick and he went with the P-22. Its been flawless so far and he loves it.

Qwiks draw
June 11, 2008, 07:04 AM
Will admit by bias is towards the Ruger MKII or III series. Have a 22/45 which is much lighter than the Ruger metal framed series. Both pistols are accurate enough for local bullseye competition. Dureability,ease of operation, total functionand accuracy have been the hallmarks of both models.

However the Browning Buckmark is an excellent choice.
So are a few of the others in the poll.

To me accuracy,ease of operation, total function, and weight seem to all play inot this. If weight is important then the lighter models may be of a better pick.

Didn't vote because there are a lot of good picks out there.

Keltyke
June 11, 2008, 08:31 AM
I had a chance to handle a P-22 in a local gun shop over the weekend, and it's a SWEET gun. Light, easy to rack, NICE trigger pull. I didn't get a chance to fire it, but I've heard good reports. Nice looking piece, too.

woad_yurt
June 11, 2008, 09:27 AM
For they very first gun, how about an H&R? They're all over the net for $100-$125 for a nice gun. They're rugged, simple and pretty much problem-free. He can sell it when he trades up or keep it as the go-to .22 of the house.

Searcher451
June 11, 2008, 10:17 AM
You might want to visit the Rimfire Central Forum and get a reality check on all of the firearms that you listed as potential purchases before actually pulling the trigger on one. Some of the guns in question have long lists of questionable performance issues that are well-documented. Here's a link:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/

Once that is done, and you narrow the field once more, you also might want to work with your brother and get a gun that best fits his hand ... and his desires. There's little sense buying a gun that will stay in the box because he wanted something else.

Harris304
June 11, 2008, 10:54 AM
I would select a 22a. Cheap, accurate a great gun to learn how to shoot.

dbgun
June 11, 2008, 12:01 PM
"Going the more economical route, I love ruger 22/45 MKIII's. The 5.5" bull barrel model has adjustable sights and the option to attach a rail(included) for optics."

+1

I just bought one in January. It shoots great. should last him (little brother) a long time. Just my $.02

Hornett
June 11, 2008, 12:23 PM
I am partial to Ruger.
My Mark I has the most awesome trigger.
That being said, I didn't vote.
I think he needs to pick it out his self.

sholling
June 11, 2008, 12:47 PM
I voted Browning Buck Mark, but my second choice autoloader would be Ruger MKIII. But for a 13y/o my real first choice is the Ruger Single Six (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/49714). I cherish mine.

Wayward_Son
June 11, 2008, 06:02 PM
I know this is the semi-auto forum, but would he consider a single or double action revolver? Maybe a Smith 617?

Majic
June 11, 2008, 07:17 PM
I'll repeat the same answer you will hear a lot of times when buy guns for someone else. Take lil bro to the gun stores and let him handle the guns. Find what fits him and what he can handle and likes. He will become a much better shooter quicker if his gun fits and he likes what he is shooting.

MontyCop05
June 12, 2008, 06:31 AM
Going the more economical route, I love ruger 22/45 MKIII's. The 5.5" bull barrel model has adjustable sights and the option to attach a rail(included) for optics.

This the way I'm leaning. Prob go with the 22/45. Its an excellent starter platform.

I am partial to Ruger.
My Mark I has the most awesome trigger.
That being said, I didn't vote.
I think he needs to pick it out his self.

I'll repeat the same answer you will hear a lot of times when buy guns for someone else. Take lil bro to the gun stores and let him handle the guns. Find what fits him and what he can handle and likes. He will become a much better shooter quicker if his gun fits and he likes what he is shooting.

Ok, so I've done a little research and pretty much 90% decided to go with a Ruger Mark or 22/45. I also toyed with the idea of taking him and letting him pick, but I know my little bro and he'll pick what ever looks the "coolest" and not necessarily whats best for him. I bet on him picking the P-22 or Glock with and OD frame. I've decided to pretty much rule them out. Personally I feel the P-22's trigger is sloppy, and does not a great trainer/match gun make. I can't coment on the Glock kit as I've never handled/fired one. I know that if I take him to the shop it will be sensory overload. He's gonna want everything in the store. But if i bring him one gun, as a surprise for his birthday, one that he has no idea he's getting, it will be the coolest thing ever, and he'll fall in love with it. Then after that I'll take him and we can browse and touch and handle after a little range time. So despite your recomendations I'm going to refrain from the "letting him pick" route.

kristop64089
June 12, 2008, 06:42 AM
I voted MK III, but for IMO, for a first time shooter, I'd vote a SA revolver, that way every shot was intentional. And unless hammer was cocked, there would be no ND's.

If anything the MKIII will teach patience, and Attention to Detail when he has to break it down, clean, and re-assemble for the first time.

Leejack
June 12, 2008, 07:02 AM
I voted other.

Ruger Single Six!

CajunBass
June 12, 2008, 07:16 AM
If I was a 13 year old kid, and someone gave me a gun, any gun, I don't think I'd give two hoots what kind it was. I'd just jump up and down and turn cartwheels.

Having said that, the "take him to the shop and let him pick one out" is probably the right way to go.

I'm partial to Rugers myself, my 22/45, MK II standard, Single Six, Bearcat, and 10/22's all shoot great. The Buckmark and the Smith and Wesson 22a both seem to be good guns, but I've never shot them. No one ever says much, if anything, bad about them.

MontyCop05
June 12, 2008, 07:24 AM
If I was a 13 year old kid, and someone gave me a gun, any gun, I don't think I'd give two hoots what kind it was. I'd just jump up and down and turn cartwheels.

Nuff' said bass. I like the way u think.

Qwiks draw
June 12, 2008, 08:52 AM
Have to agree with the simple approach others have already hit on.

If you want simplicity then the single action revolver like the Ruger Single Six would work.
So would one from Heritage Firearms.

The thing about this is while the kid will appreciate the gun greatly it's that the gun has to fit the user in just about every respect.

One tool fits every situation doesn't apply here and seldom, if ever,does. To get a newbie proficient and on the right track to stay there the gun has to fit their needs as much as possible. Right tool to complete the job the right way.

There are a lot of good picks as far as pistols and revolvers go. Both directions as to type of handgun have the benefits and handicaps. Take the one that has the least handicaps in this case.

predecessor
June 12, 2008, 09:08 AM
I voted Walther P-22 -- based on the supposed criteria that you are looking for a semi-auto pistol that will graduate into a center-fire of similar ilk. Also because I own and enjoy mine and think it's a great size for a 13 year old.

That being said, if the above criteria is paramount and the money is there, your idea of the Glock conversion is probably best if you intend to move him up to the same handgun in the 9MM platform later. That makes good sense.

That doesn't mean that the other pistols and revolvers listed and mentioned by others aren't great guns. They are fine firearms -- I just don't feel they will simulate a center-fire auto experience as well as those intended to do so.

Te Anau
June 12, 2008, 01:28 PM
A Neos is the best value in a .22lr & the P22 & Mosquito are the worst.

Robs22
June 12, 2008, 01:53 PM
I voted Mark III, as i own one "22/45 hunter" to be exact, good starter pistol, very accurate, and eats everything and anything. Just my .02 cents:D

Playboypenguin
June 12, 2008, 01:56 PM
It is a hard choice between the Walther and the Ruger. If he is more of a modern kid get him the Walther. If he likes more classic stuff get him the Ruger.

I think the Walther is easier to strip and clean though.

B.N.Real
June 12, 2008, 07:08 PM
Browning Buckmark.

Dozens of models-guaranteeing you'll find him one he likes.

Great shooting guns too.

sanzo87
June 12, 2008, 08:14 PM
well i have a 22 old and i mean old wheel gun colt 22 4" (i need to get the thing that makes it line up right fixed~not a gunsmith so dont know what its called~) and im not sure of the maker but its worked flawlessly its blued and only a 1/2" to 1" bbl i know its not a bobcat but its about that size(not for sure the maker or years or models cause they are with my grandpa who is in NZ right now) and i have gone through a few bricks of ammo(so prob over 5000 each i would guess)

Sparky33
June 12, 2008, 08:31 PM
I would go for the ruger mk III. I have the hunter and love it. I havent heard a lot of good things about the 22/45's. the only thing that will take some getting used to is the reassembly. As long as you follow the directions exactly you are fine.

tony pasley
June 12, 2008, 09:27 PM
I have a Ruger Mark II that has over 100,000 rounds thru it and still going strong. It will last as long as you take care of it and will never really out grow a .22.

Te Anau
June 13, 2008, 08:21 AM
Anyone who reads this in the future,let me offer this bit of wisdom.Don't let the poll's support for the Walther P22 fool you.The Walther P22 & Sig Mosquito are waaaaaaay overpriced for the materials used in their construction and they WILL not hold up to the number of rounds sent downrange that the Ruger,Beretta or Browning will.If Hi-Point (which is a good gun & priced right) made the P22 or Mosquito it would be soundly ridiculed as a joke of a gun by 85% of people here at this forum.It would be heavily criticized for it's slide materials and ammo requirements.That said,because they are made by Walther and Sig they get a free ride that is undeserved.

quack fiend
June 13, 2008, 09:00 AM
I'll have to totally agree. I bought a p22 a couple years ago to use with my first suppressor. It's too small and light, the sights suck, the trigger pull is awful, it's not accurate in the least, unreliable with subsonics, the materials are shoddy, it's just a joke. I sold it and bought a buckmark camper and had the barrel threaded, and I can't think of ONE thing about a p22 that is better. I could say the same for a ruger, it's really just personal preference as they're both fine pistols, and you can't go wrong with either one.

MrClean
June 13, 2008, 04:38 PM
Ruger! Love their .22s!
I have 3 MK's. One early Black Eagle model, one SS bull bbl with suppressor, one plinker and a bearcat. I can't tell you how many rounds have been through those MK's but they just keep on tickin'! VERY accurate as well. And you can get 'upgrades' for them as well.