PDA

View Full Version : I want 10/22 Barrels

Joat
June 10, 2008, 01:21 PM
If you've switched out the stock barrel on your 10/22 and don't have a need for it anymore, I have a project in the works and need 8 of them.

I am building a gatling gun. Not the 2 receivers back to back, but a true hand crank gun.

If you have a barrel that is taking up room and want to get of rid of, I'll gladly pay the shipping to have it sent to me. cosmetic blemishes, broken/missing sights are not a problem.

Joat

email: Joat @ hughes dot net

Joat
June 10, 2008, 09:22 PM
1 down, 7 to go

Joat

johnwilliamson062
June 11, 2008, 12:04 AM
does a gatling gun not qualify as a machine gun?

p99guy
June 11, 2008, 12:28 AM
Nope, a Gatling doesnt qualify as a Machinegun under the laws of the United States.(as its manually operated)

Joat
June 11, 2008, 12:31 AM
Nope. :D

The manually-operated "Machine Guns" are all classified as Title 1 firearms by ATF and are essentially just single-shot guns. The energy from the cartridge performs no action in operating the feed, extraction, firing of the weapon. You stop rotating the crank, it stops shooting. These guns are available to anyone that can own a firearm.
NOTE: IF YOU ADD A MOTOR, IT'S A MACHINE GUN!:eek:

Joat

predator86
June 11, 2008, 01:44 AM
LOL.....i can just see a briggs and stratton on a gatling gun.......oh the laughs.....

Sixer
June 11, 2008, 01:45 AM
I gotta see this! Make sure you post pics when youve completed this bad boy!

Ifishsum
June 11, 2008, 01:53 AM
I'm pretty sure I can help you with one but I'll have to look in the attic and make sure I still have it. PM me in a day or two to remind me if I haven't contacted you by then.

arcticap
June 11, 2008, 02:21 AM
email sent :)

Joat
June 11, 2008, 09:05 AM
Actually Predator86 it'd be closer to an electric wheelchair drive motor. :D

But then it becomes a GE minigun and those definitely would fall under ATFE scrutiny. Disclaimer: The plans I am working off of have no provisions for mounting a motor and include design elements that make it impossible to mount a motor.End Disclaimer

Pictures off the build and finished project are planned. This is long lead time project. I don't expect to get it finished in the near future (conservative estimate is 18 months)

Thank you Ifishsum. If I don't hear from you I'll drop you a pm in a week or 2.

articap e-mail responded to.

Thanks folks!

Joat

Joat
June 11, 2008, 09:24 AM
Folks,

This project is in the early stages of material acquisition. I have received a couple of offers to sell me barrels. I have added part of my reply to these messages below:

The most I have budgeted for barrels for this project is $75.00 which is why I am soliciting free + shipping.
I appreciate the offer but cost + shipping for the 8 barrels needed would price this project into oblivion. I figured $10.00 ea (+/-) for each barrel. There is a local 'smith that said he would sell me all the barrels that I want for $20.00 each, which is why I posted the request.
I don't know how realistic this figure is, but I do know that I personally have given away at least 3 stock barrels after putting .920 ones into my personal 10/22s over the years.
I have barrel liners, chamber reamers, and hex stock available to make the barrels if needed, so I am looking to save some lathe time by using these. At this point I am not even sure that the design can be adapted to use these barrels, if it doesn't work all I will be out is time. If I go over my budget for the barrels and then have to purchase the material to make the barrels . . .

I appreciate the offers to sell me barrels and I may go that route if I cannot "aquire" them from those that don't need them. At this time I am looking for "free"

Joat

T-Ray
June 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
try asking people at rimfirecentral.com there's bound to be tons of people with spare barrels

GATMOG
June 11, 2008, 06:23 PM
Darn, I gave mine away a few months ago.. Wish I knew you had this project in mind I'd gladly donate towards the cause :)

Gatmog

Joat
July 3, 2008, 09:09 AM
Just a quick update and a btt.

I now have half of the barrels that I need for my project. Thank you to those that responded. I still need 5 more barrels.

Looking over the prints I have I realized that it will be a 10 barrel Gatling gun not an 8 barrel.

Joat

GATMOG
July 3, 2008, 03:28 PM
Did you try rimfirecentral? To just about everyone there, the stock bbl is a plague that they must get rid of!

Theres a guy there who uses them as tomato stakes :p

AP

Joat
July 5, 2008, 10:30 PM
I tried over at rimfirecentral and was told that there is now a way to accurize and improve the factory barrel. There were no other responses:rolleyes:

Joat