PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully not talked to death - the Sig Mosquito

jcharisman
June 4, 2008, 06:26 PM
I have been a fan of Sig for some time now but have heard and read all about the bad rep of the above gun. I also know that Sig has said that they have fixed the Mosquito. They have also dropped the price, presumably to compete and to erase some of the bad publicity that surrounds this gun.

My local shop has one in two-tone that fits my hand perfectly - and a t an attractive price. May I please hear from current owners, preferably those that have purchased this gun recently?

P99AS9
June 4, 2008, 06:42 PM
Sig really doesn't make a bad gun. My buddies is great.

benzuncle
June 4, 2008, 07:40 PM
I too read all of the bad and good about the Sig Skeeter. I searched enough forums to make a decision to purchase one several weeks ago; I haven't been disappointed. Granted, I have only used CCI Mini-Mags but they are cheap enough when compared to most any center fire cartridge. As I already own a Sig P220 Compact (which is the best shooting firearm I've ever owned), I like the idea of shooting another Sig with the mag release, the slide release and decocker in the same position. Mine shot a little high when I took it to the range. But, as the target that was included from the factory in Germany attests, so did their test firing. All grouped close enough together, only a little high. The Mosquito came with a total of 3 front sights. I replaced the one that was on the front of the slide (easily accomplished) with the taller one and am hoping that brings the shots down when I go to the range Saturday. I paid $290 for it; it was an NRA special edition unit that came with 2 mags and a Swiss Army-style pocket knife with "Sig Arms" on it. The knife has the usual knife, scissors, file, awl, etc. but also has a microwave, wireless GPS, small collapsible satellite dish and electric trolling motor on it! ;)

I looked at (and listened to what people on the forums said about) the Rugers and Buckmarks and heeded their words. I felt comfortable that Sig had fixed their problems with the Mosquito. So far, I feel justified. After shooting a 45ACP, a 22lr leaves a little to be desired, but I felt like I needed to own a 22lr. I wish you only the best in your deliberations. Let us know how it pans out, will you?

dave421
June 4, 2008, 08:03 PM
I don't own one but I've looked at them several times. From what I've read, Sig HAS fixed the problems on the new guns. Owners of the old gun report a lot of problems but it seems that most (perhaps all, I can't think of any negative reports) that have purchased their Mosquito in the past 6 months have had no problems. It's supposedly not as accurate as the Buckmark & Rugers but it is supposed to be much easier to operate (especially cleaning). I was going back and forth between it and the Ruger (the Beretta Neos gets rave reviews also but the looks make it hard for me to take it seriously) until I finally decided to start looking for a .22 conversion for one of my 1911s.

GoSlash27
June 5, 2008, 05:56 AM
I just purchased one last week. Serial F0068XX. I've been running it on the Federal bulk stuff.
It hiccuped frequently with the first 50 rounds, but it's run like a champ ever since. I've got about 800 rounds through it so far. Based on what it's done up to this point, I'd definitely recommend one. :)

Silvanus
June 5, 2008, 08:00 AM
Mine works very well with certain ammo brands (especially Fiocchi), but there are a lot of brands I simply can't shoot because they won't cycle the slide far enough to chamber a new round.

http://i22.servimg.com/u/f22/11/50/35/28/sigmos10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=5&u=11503528)

PS: before somebody mentions it, I am aware that the gun comes with two recoild springs, I have the right one installed.

Te Anau
June 5, 2008, 12:51 PM
When the Mosquito costs $140.00 (like a comparably built Hi-Point) and will ALWAYS function flawlessly with bulk Federal or Remington golden bullets I'll consider one.Until that day comes I'll blast away with my Beretta Neos.

Shadi Khalil
June 5, 2008, 01:35 PM
I bought a .22 for my little brother a while ago. He considered the Sig but went with the P-22. Im glad he did, the P-22 has been flawless with every kind of ammo (even fed. bulk) and is fun to shoot. If you like the Sig, get it. Just keep in mind you'll have to use CCI blazer and other HV ammo. It will be a little more costly but I prefer those ammos dispite mine working with the cheaper stuff.

GoSlash27
June 5, 2008, 03:37 PM
If you like the Sig, get it. Just keep in mind you'll have to use CCI blazer and other HV ammo.
*ahem*...
From my response 2 posts up:
I've been running it on the Federal bulk stuff.

rellascout
June 5, 2008, 03:43 PM
Sig really doesn't make a bad gun. My buddies is great.

That is unfortunately no longer the case. These things suck. I am sorry but that is the truth. They are made of pot metal by an airsoft company. They are over priced.

The triggers are really bad IMHO. I was really disappointed because I wanted one. If they were made properly they would be perfect trainers. I do not understand the concept of a plinker that can only shoot high $$$ 22LR ammo. GoSlash27 count yourself lucky your experience is not the norm.

In the end I bought a old MKII and have never looked back

Shadi Khalil
June 5, 2008, 03:57 PM
Sorry goslash!

I guess I stand corrected.

Shadi Khalil
June 5, 2008, 04:03 PM
The triggers are really bad IMHO. I was really disappointed because I wanted one. If they were made properly they would be perfect trainers. I do not understand the concept of a plinker that can only shoot high $$$ 22LR ammo. GoSlash27 count yourself lucky your experience is not the norm.

I beg to differ. Since shooting his P-22. my little brother has become alot more comfortable with my P239. Although the P-22 lacks a decocker like the 239, the double action single action and the general feel of the gun add to his training experince. The two (Sig and P22) may not be made form the best materials but they sure beat blue guns and airsoft for a shooting experience..

rellascout
June 5, 2008, 04:15 PM
I beg to differ. Since shooting his P-22. my little brother has become alot more comfortable with my P239. Although the P-22 lacks a decocker like the 239, the double action single action and the general feel of the gun add to his training experince. The two (Sig and P22) may not be made form the best materials but they sure beat blue guns and airsoft for a shooting experience..

I am not sure what you are talking about. You are the only person talking about a P22. Everyone else is talking about the Sig.

The Mosquito trigger sucks. It is long gritty and well ****ty.

I completely disagree with you about the Mosquito or a P22 being better than a Buckmark or a Ruger. Its all about trigger time. In fact if you really want to improve your shooting on your Sig P239 I would recommend dry firing the pistol using the Bruce Gray method.

Silvanus
June 5, 2008, 05:21 PM
The triggers are really bad IMHO

The DA trigger pull is the most horrible thing I've ever experienced in my whole life:eek: But SA is manageable:)

GoSlash27
June 5, 2008, 07:04 PM
The DA trigger pull is the most horrible thing I've ever experienced in my whole life
I've had worse, but agree that the DA pull is heavy and notchy.

Rellascout,
GoSlash27 count yourself lucky your experience is not the norm.
Sure it is. If I hadn't looked over at AR-15 and found out that the bad ones are all long gone, I wouldn't have bought mine. No offense, but you're relaying outdated info.

jcharisman,
You never specified how you planned on employing the Mosquito if you decide to purchase it.
If you're just looking for a plinker, there are other options more suitable to the job. Not knocking the SIG; I'm happy with mine.
But if you're looking for something that will simulate a centerfire combat pistol without the expense of burning up centerfire ammo, the SIG (and I stress the NEW sig) is a good choice.
You can't practice your doubletaps with it since it has no muzzle flip or recoil to speak of, but it's good for stuff like engagement on the move, target transitions and the like.

orionengnr
June 5, 2008, 07:12 PM
One of my Wednesday evening shooting group bought one about six weeks ago. He has tried both recoil springs and has been through 4-500 rounds of a variety of different ammo. His runs reasonlbly well with CCI Mini-Mag, but even at that, it's not "reliable" by any stretch.

He's been eyeing my MkII a bit enviously...

PSP
June 5, 2008, 09:51 PM
I sold mine. A very frustrating affair. Sig should be embarassed to sell this. Faulty cycling and the worst trigger of any gun I've ever owned. If you want a proper .22lr get a Buckmark.

Shadi Khalil
June 5, 2008, 10:30 PM
I am not sure what you are talking about. You are the only person talking about a P22. Everyone else is talking about the Sig.

I brought it up because the P22 is the same idea, training weapon with the same complaints; Gritty trigger, pot metal construction and reported ammo problems. All I was saying is that while the P22 I have has some of those same drawbacks (pot metal, gritty trigger) but it still makes a good training gun, IMO. I couldnt tolorate reliablity problems, which all the Sigs apparently dont have (see goslash post), but as far as gritty triggers go, that can be worked out. The Sigs is made from cheap metal but its a .22 at under 300.00

jcharisman
June 6, 2008, 04:38 AM
I have a Buckmark, which I have shot well over the years. I've been holding out for a P220 that will catch my eye in one of it's flavors at a price that I can afford. I saw the Mosquito many years back and thought it looked great but read about all of the issues with it. Recently I saw one for a great price and it started to gnaw at me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't really have a "need" for this gun but it's something that caught me eye. I've never been one for impulse buying nor jumping into something ill-informed (well, there was that marriage thing, but let's not bring that up:rolleyes:) so I wanted to get some opinions on this.

GoSlash27
June 6, 2008, 05:36 AM
teifmen1948,
reliablity problems, which all the Sigs apparently dont have (see goslash post)...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=50&t=50503
Some info on the change.

The Mosquitoes have had the tolerances changed according to SIG, the feedramp has been improved and the springs have changed. (the older Mosquitoes have solid springs, and the newer guns have a small end on one side. -- small goes closest to the trigger, big toward the end of the barrel.)

All of the Mosquitoes I've seen (in every configuration) have been "AO" serial numbered weapons.

It is hard to tell on what date things started to change, but the most recent serial numbers coming out of SIG are the AO55-60K range.

Just to place a time line on things:

AO33000 were coming out as early as Sept 2006.
AO35000 were seen around July 2007, but MANY are still leaving the factory.
AO44000 were seen around Sept 2007
AO55000 Are being seen NOW.
AO60000 Are being seen NOW.

Sports, TB's, B's, TT's and RTT's all fall into the same serial number ranges.

I've seen Sports in the AO55000 Range, and seen a Threaded Barrel model only a dozen serial numbers off.

Basically, Ask the dealer how long he's had the weapon in stock for, and he should be able to tell you if the weapon was sitting for a few months.

I'd probably stick to the 44-55K Serial number ranges for safety, but like I said previously, SIG is still pumping out Two Tones and Reverse Two Tones in the 35K serial ranges, and those weapons work well according to customers. (perhaps they've had work done)

In my honest, 100% out in the open opinion. I would probably only stay away from previously owned, possibly messed with, used Mosquitoes in the SUB 33K Ranges.

Yes, I've spent ALOT of time researching and playing with Mosquitoes. (think of them as my little pet project this year)

I used to be a Die-Hard P22 Fan, but after having one of each generation of those, I gave up and walked away. (First Gen had slide chipping, Second Gen had FTE, Third Gen worked, but was horribly inaccurate.)

^ This info was posted November 20th.

SIG also claims that the longer barrel of the sport and TB versions (I bought the TB) helps to cycle the slide, which may be why mine runs reliably on Federal bulk.

rellascout
June 6, 2008, 10:27 AM
Oh did I also mention that they are piss poor it terms of accuracy compared to other cheaper 22LR pistols.

LeadFistExpress
June 6, 2008, 10:43 AM
My wife bought a Mosquito about a month or so ago. We go shooting together, and I have only had to clear a FTF for her once. she has put at least 400 rounds through it with no other issues. I think is it reliable, but 400 rounds is not a great number to judge by.

As far as accuracy is concerned, I cannot really say. I think I have only fired one mag through it so I do not know how accurate it is. She seems to shoot well with it, but she needs to improve her accuracy more before I can say how well. Of course, this is why we bought it in the first place. It is one of the few 22s that simulate larger semi-autos in ergonomics and other qualities. I wanted a pistol for her that would help her transition to other calibers without having to relearn how to operate it.

rellascout
June 6, 2008, 10:48 AM
Lead I agree with you and your use of the pistol. My issue is that Sig has done a very poor job on this one. They have made changes and one can only hope performance will improve.

The real thing to consider is that this pistol has been a dog for the majority of its time in the market. It will take a long time to undue the damage of the first 4 years of production.

GoSlash27
June 6, 2008, 12:07 PM
Oh did I also mention that they are piss poor it terms of accuracy compared to other cheaper 22LR pistols.
Can't really confirm or deny that one. I've shot more accurate ones, but they're dedicated plinkers with target sights and longer sight radii. Mine will reliably nail pop cans out to 30 yards. Considering that it's purpose is to hit 8" targets inside 15 yds, I'd say it's more than accurate enough for it's intended purpose.

LeadFistExpress
June 6, 2008, 06:49 PM
I have never even seen one until we bought this one. It is brand new so I cannot make a statement about earlier versions. I do remember looking on this forum after we bought it (I do not think I had joined yet) and hoping that I had not made a bad choice.

absolute0
June 6, 2008, 10:01 PM
This gun has been such a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] since it hit the shelfs it's going to take a long time (probably never) for me to even consider one. Why pay $350+ for a gun that's had a steak on it's eye for 3 years when you can spend considerably less and get a proven design like a Ruger MK or a Buckmark.

Style points and commonality with your carry piece don't amount to much when the gun won't run right.