PDA

View Full Version : savage scout rifle

gumrubbers
June 4, 2008, 10:08 AM
New to fourm...hellow to all...lookin to buy....all research seems positive,feedback seems good...need some imput,good or bad...thanks.

Redneckrepairs
June 4, 2008, 10:35 AM
I will say that scout rifles are not for everyone , some prefer and do better with a conventional scope mounting. However if you can get along with the foreward mount and work around some of the inherent issues from it ( such as scope " bloom" or whiteout when the sun is just wrong behind you ) they are great .

I have a .308 Savage Scout that is pre accutrigger , and ported . It is my favorite " utility" rifle and has replaced my AR-15 as my ranch truck gun . The only real complaint i have with the little rifle is the crappy synthetic stock savage used , If you sling up the foregrip of the stock is not stiff enough and torques to the side . Eventually i will mill a channel and epoxy in some keystock to stiffen it up a bit , but it honestly shoots well enough that the fix is most likely just going to satisfy my nature , not really increase the practical accuracy.

Honestly tho had i not stumbled into this pre accutrigger savage i would have went a different route , possibly a ruger for my scout . I just dont care for the accutrigger system.

gumrubbers
June 5, 2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks...Red.

Flashman
June 7, 2008, 11:55 AM
It is a good rifle that occasionally has a couple fixable drawbacks: The magazine must be proper fitted, if often isn't; the bolt retaining pin on the original Savage is prone to breakage with aggressive use. The magnum bolt is available and seems to fix the problem. I read somewhere that Savage changed this part before redoing the action to the AccuTrigger system.

It needs a third swivel and your good to go. Very accurate and fits me very well.