PDA

View Full Version : TruOil ?

mellow_c
May 30, 2008, 05:32 PM
I have a Yugo AK-47 with dry wood, and I want to put a finish on it. I finally decided to just use some TruOil. So I bought some, and I'm ready to put it on, but I dont know how to do it. There are no instructions that come with the TruOil.

Should I use a paintbrush? Rub it in with a cloth? Should I put on as much as I can? or just enough?

I'd appreciate any help, especially from someone who has used TruOil before!

Thanx alot:)

Rob-o
May 30, 2008, 05:49 PM
http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/a/aastockrefinish.htm this is decent info, also you should try the search feature on the forum there has to be tons of info on here about that

Horseman
May 30, 2008, 06:15 PM
I like to thin tru oil 1 to 1 with mineral spirits. This increases the drying time dramatically and makes a thinner, duller finish. The tru-oil is not really oil it is more like a varnish. If you put a straight, heavy coat on it will form a plastic like varnish. The beauty of tru-oil is you can achieve just about any look you want, especially if you are willing to thin it. You can polish and buff it to look like a Weatherby or you can dull it down to look more like linseed or tung oil. I especially suggest thinning the first coat because it will soak into the wood better. If you thin it you can basically create a linseed oil type finish with a little more depth. I'd suggest experimenting with each coat which type of finish you like by how you treat it. 0000 Steel wool between coats would make a good AK finish IMO. Let's see some pics when you're done.

Darren007
May 30, 2008, 09:26 PM
There are no instructions that come with the TruOil.

Instructions are printed on every single bottle...

Ruger4570
May 31, 2008, 06:32 PM
I have used Tru Oil several times. I put a small screw through the metal lid and it allow me to put on a drop at a time.

MartinBrody
June 1, 2008, 09:52 PM
Wipe it down with mineral spirits, then LIGHTLY sand with extra fine grit paper or 000 steel wool, and wipe down with mineral spirits again. Now take a cloth like and old t-shirt and just get a little tru-oil on a corner of it, then wipe a very thin coat onto the stock and let it dry. If you applied a very thin coat it won't take long to dry. Once it is dry, very, very light rough up the stock with 000 steel wool and wipe it down again with mineral spirits. Now go through the process of lightly applying the tru-oil and roughing and wiping the stock about 6 times, you will have a nice hard good looking finish.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w199/martinbrody/finishedwasr2.jpg