PDA

View Full Version : Desert Eagle questions

AZGlock13
May 23, 2008, 09:01 PM
I have been toying with the idea of getting a used standard black finish Desert Eagle in .44Mag (either a Mark VII or a newer Mark XIX model, not sure if I want the old Mark I model) sometime this year. I used to own a Ruger Super RedHawk back in the early 90s and had some fun with shooting .44 and I'm thinking it would be fun to have a .44 again. Plus, I really like the looks of the Desert Eagle, yeah, I know its about as big and weighs about the same as a small howitzer:p:D .
For the people who have the .44 version, what commercial loads have you found to be the most reliable in it? I heard the DE only runs on the full hot loads to reliably cycle the slide correctly and prevent feed/ejection jams. I know the newer Mark XIX .44 and .50 models can swap barrels, but can the older Mark VII .44 model take a VII or XIX .50 barrel? Lastly, for everyone who has bought a Desert Eagle (in any caliber), did you later regret buying it or was it worth the price of admission?;) Thanks.

Aqeous
May 23, 2008, 09:07 PM
I'm assuming you have seen this website (but if not) it may be of interest to you. Not sure if there are allot of DE owners on TFL.

Link:

http://zvis.com/dep/mgnrv/mgr.php3?a

JohnKSa
May 23, 2008, 11:03 PM
I've never owned one, but I have shot them on a couple of occasions. They are very accurate if my experiences are typical. Also easy to shoot due to the weight.

If I had more money and more storage space for guns I'd probably buy one because they are definitely fun at the range.

44 AMP
May 24, 2008, 01:47 PM
That are now called the Mark I. At the time, there were no "marks" there was only the Desert Eagle. The first two were .357 Mag, in the mid-late 80s, which I later sold or traded. The third is a .44 Mag that I bought new in Feb 1990. For $650.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/44AMP/Picture008.jpg

I am a dedicated handloader, and rarely shoot factory ammo, so, sorry, I cannot recommend any factory loads, but Magnum Research has a list of approved factory ammo (which comes with the gun).

The standard sights are set for the 240gr bullet, and are only drift adjustable for windage. Once you get past the huge grip and the weight (and with a full mag of .44 this gun is heavy!) they are a lot of fun to shoot, and the recoil is very mild for the caliber, due to the gas system, and the weight. Never use cast bullets in a Desert Eagle, lead and bullet lube can clog the gas system, and can be extremely difficult to clean. Use only jacketed bullets, period.

Also, at least on my guns, the magazine must "float". Any pressure on the magazine can cause malfunctions. For me, the Desert Eagle has been "worth the price of admission", but it is far from being the most useful handgun I own. Great fun at the range, or plinking, and satisfactory for hunting (although the sights and trigger could be better). Again, if you can handle the absolutely huge freaking grip, it is rather enjoyable. I've kept mine for a while, which says something about it (and me). Not a gun for everyone, and not even remotely the combat/duty gun that Hollywood makes it out to be, simply a huge, heavy, rather awkward magnum power autoloader, which is capable of pretty good shooting, once you are up to it.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/44AMP/44egl1.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/44AMP/44egl2.jpg
size comparison between Desert Eagle .44 mag and .44 Auto Mag
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/44AMP/44as.jpg

I don't have any hands on experience with the newer Marks of DE, but if you get one, make sure you live by its rules (ammo choice, cleaning, etc.) and it should do well.

Enjoy!

AZGlock13
May 24, 2008, 02:20 PM
Yep, I have my eye on a real nice condition used black .44Mag Mark VII right now. Aqeous, thanks for the website link. 44 AMP, thanks for sharing your experience and advice on the DE, good things to know.

Thumper_6119
June 12, 2008, 09:39 AM
I had been wanting a Desert Eagle since falling in love with them in the late '80's. Two weeks ago, I finally got my first one. A Mk XIX .50 AE in Brushed Chrome with the Hogue Fingergroove grips and the Trijicon sites. Craftsmanship on this gun is unsurpassed. Magnificent firearm. Worth every penny. An absolute dream to shoot. Recoil is a pussycat (for a big bore handgun).

Ammo is pricey for these things, so reloading is definitely something to consider.

Boris Bush
June 12, 2008, 11:10 AM
44 AMP

Nice DE! I have 357 just like yours at my house right now, but its my buddies :( oh well. It is a fun gun and shoots very well but yours is the only other one I have seen with the non hook safety aswell as my buddies...........

AZGlock13
June 12, 2008, 11:29 PM
Thumper,

I just saw the pics of your new chrome .50AE MK XIX DE in my stainless/chrome semi-autos pics thread here on TFL. Wow, that is a beauty of a gun! Congrats on the fine acquisition. I bet .50AE isn't the cheapest round to buy, but really fun to shoot.

I ended up buying the used black .44mag MK VII DE I had my eye on about a week and half ago. I just recently put a Hogue wrap-around finger-groove grip panel on mine as well. My DE came with one factory mag and two Pro-Mag mags, so I recently acquired one more factory mag for it. I also bought 50 rounds of Winchester whitebox 240gr. JSP and 100 rounds of Magtech 240gr FMJ to shoot through it. I gave the DE a good thorough initial cleaning and re-lubing right after I received it, now I just need to get out to the range and shoot it!:D