PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Firearm

Spenser
May 23, 2008, 02:40 PM
Slide mark on tool marked "FM". Probably a High Power knockoff of some sort. Anybody have any idea about the manufacturer of such?

Thanks!

Rampant_Colt
May 23, 2008, 02:42 PM
Argentinian Hi-Power clone. Some argue they're just as good as FEG.

Spenser
May 24, 2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks! Kind of a rare bird.

Linear Thinker
May 29, 2008, 08:12 PM
Some argue they're just as good as FEG.

Rampant - thank you, I needed a chuckle.

---------------------------------
FM = Fabrica Militar, the Argentine Govt. Arsenal. These FN licensed copies of Hi-Power (unlike the FEGs) have been imported on and off since the 70s. One of mine is parkerised, the other has a black paint for finish! Both are 100% reliable, not a big surprise for a Browning design.
The fit-and-finish are decent, but no one will confuse them for a T-series Hi-Power.

SOG and Sarco used to carry them. Century imported them for a long time. Not sure about the current importer.
LT

ISC
May 29, 2008, 08:57 PM
mine is a great shooter and is every bit as accurate as my buddies Browning.
You can definately see the difference in finish though. mine has some slight tooling marks that his doesn't. His also has alot of wear that mine doesn't. His is an Isreali trade in and mine was LNIB when I got it.

Spenser
May 30, 2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the help. This thing was potentially used in a crime, and we were trying to figure out the particulars of this thing.

This was a big help.

Thanks again.

Tom2
May 31, 2008, 09:18 AM
I had one once that had that black polymer but I think they pretreated the steel with parkerising or something for a base coat. Worked OK. Mine had the short compact slide and I thought it was a neat variant of the HiPower concept. Sort of like the CZ 75 compact I had later. Not a thing wrong with it that I recall. Full length HP pistols don't have the same appeal to me.