PDA

View Full Version : New Toy: GSG-5

Stevie-Ray
May 19, 2008, 11:50 PM
Finally, after 2 months on order, my GSG-5 came in. I picked it up this past weekend. I'm taking it to the range today to try it out stock before it gets the gussied-up treatment. I don't plan to do much to it, but you know how that goes. I did take the top rail since they had them in stock. It will get an optical sight at the very least. I'll be back later today with first impressions.

SundownRider
May 20, 2008, 09:36 AM
Just picked one up yesterday myself. Will be hitting the range sometime next week. Good luck.

Stevie-Ray
May 20, 2008, 04:48 PM
I had an absolute blast today. Shot about 200 rounds through it; all Federal copper plated HPs from the 550 rd value pack. I had 2 FTEs, which I am chalking up to lousy ammo, simply because the rounds in question were anemic in their blast and recoil, sorta like getting a Long instead of a Long Rifle. Seems I had a few more of these in the 200 or so that I fired that just barely cycled the action. They were always quieter. I've never had this much bad luck with .22 ammo, but I bought these because I always heard good things about them. Oh well, at least they were cheap. The gun is obviously more accurate than I am at 25 yards, (indoor range) because I could keep it in the black with just about every shot offhand, and keep it in the 10 ring rested, with the iron sights. Next will probably be a red dot of some kind. All in all, I'm quite pleased with my new toy.

Logs
May 20, 2008, 08:38 PM
Held one on Saturday at a shop, wow was it cool. It is on my wish list. Happy to hear it functions pretty good. Even my 10/22 can not feed sometime. May I ask what you paid? One I looked at was almost $600.

GeorgeF
May 20, 2008, 08:53 PM
Hope they have one for MSRP (or less) at gun show coming up.

TPAW
May 20, 2008, 09:15 PM
Pictures please!........;)

kristop64089
May 20, 2008, 09:39 PM
I hate you guys:mad:

kristop64089
May 20, 2008, 09:41 PM
I have been trying to get one for 3 mos(at least), Can't find em' local. Hell I've tried trading guns for em.
Problem is if ya don't watch it they'll rape ya on the sticker price. I remeber seeing a couple for around $425, now they are going for $550.

Hope they didn't hit ya too hard.

SundownRider
May 21, 2008, 12:52 PM
Megasports in Plainfield, IL has them for $499. They have a website and contact info.

Stevie-Ray
May 21, 2008, 06:21 PM
Here she is, fellas, my new baby. I paid $465 at a local gun shop called The Firearm Exchange. Extra mags are $35 a piece.:eek: I bought one and I'll probably get a few more. Also bought a top rail so I can butcher it.:D It's probably cheaper than I would have had to spend to get a 10/22 the way I wanted it.;) I've yet to see one at a gun show, and I've attended about 5 since they were introduced. The guy that got me mine said that as soon as he gets them in, they go out the door. I believe it because now, of course, there is a waiting list. He's also one of the vendors at our local gun show. I'm quite sure the price will be going up.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/GitchiManitou/100_0492.jpg?t=1211411793

Logs
May 21, 2008, 07:01 PM
Wow nice group. I will have to get one.

Stevie-Ray
May 22, 2008, 08:06 PM
I just noticed that somebody took a potshot at my target with a 9mm. Either that, or the guy on lane 13 was a terrible shot.:D

RockyMtnTactical
May 23, 2008, 04:36 AM
Cool.

I think they are a little overpriced, but they look like fun.

SavageMOA
May 23, 2008, 04:55 AM
I'm definitely jealous, my friend. Nice group too! I've expressed interest in one of those before but some snobs have always brought up the "practicality" of a purchase like that.

Since when has "practicality" ever been an issue?

Now all I need from you is the address where the rifle is kept, a key (combination to safe, etc.), and the days and times when you will not be home. :D