PDA

View Full Version : pistol grips

bpg135
May 19, 2008, 11:36 PM
How does the accuracy with front and rear pistol grips on a winchester 1200 compare to the accuracy of a normal foregrip and stock?

PTK
May 19, 2008, 11:41 PM
Badly. Pistol grips are for messing around and REALLY close range work. For anything serious, a full stock is very much worth the space. Also, the pistol grip foreends are worthless.

bpg135
May 20, 2008, 03:18 PM
so shooting clay birds with a pistol gripped shotgun is pretty much out of the question?

bpg135
May 20, 2008, 03:49 PM
and these are completely legal correct?

rem870hunter
May 20, 2008, 05:02 PM
i have a PG forend for my 870. they are legal here in NJ but for pump only, not legal on a semi-auto loader. i didn't get a PG rear yet, i may but not 100% positive though. the PG forend don't look right with a regular buttstock. the hold is different too.

bpg135
May 20, 2008, 05:24 PM
These semi auto shotguns require no pumping? Do you like the hold better with your hand vertical rather than horizontal.

I'm heading out to Army/Navy and Cabelas right now to check them out.

Juhosaphat
May 20, 2008, 05:40 PM
The pistol grip stocks are meant for close range combat/HD situations only and shouldn't be used for anything but that or just to take out and blow stuff up with.

I personally have double (front & rear) pistol grips on my 870 12 gauge. It's my primary HD weapon and I love taking it out and blowing stuff up. As do all of my friends and family who go with me. They're really fun to shoot, but if you intend on using it for anything but the two mentioned situations, keep the full stock and flat fore-grip on the gun. Either that, or get really efficient at switching them on and off so you can switch them back and forth when you want it for one reason and not another lol

bpg135
May 20, 2008, 07:02 PM
when you say, "take it out and blow stuff up" would that happen to include clay birds while they are still at a fairly close range (or even hand thrown)?

kozak6
May 21, 2008, 01:20 AM
Not unless you're an expert shotgunner.

chris in va
May 21, 2008, 01:24 AM
Bottom line, a pistol grip shotgun is awful for clays. Just don't do it. And I speak from experience.

rem870hunter
May 21, 2008, 03:50 AM
yes a semi auto shotgun requires no pumping. the NJ laws say that you can't have a pistol grip on a semi auto. but you can have it on a pump type. they don't make a pistol grip rear only for the semi auto's, and i have yet to see a pistol grip forend either. they do make a pistol grip/full buttstock. my dad had 1 on his REM. 1100 in 12 ga.. it gave him better control when shooting slugs and buckshot for deer. he has bracitis (spelling correct?) in both of his shoulders.

but with the NJ AWB he can't have it on there anymore. but can have it on a pump shotgun.

i would suggest if you really want pistol grips. get a pistol grip/buttstock made by speedfeed model 3 or 4 if i remember right, or if they are still around choate makes a good stock too. forget the pistol fore end. unless you wanna play around killing paper and bottles at the range.

bpg135
May 23, 2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I purchased a pistol grip rear grip with butt stock and a matching (non-pistol) front grip. Only problem is, the rear stock doesnt fit my gun. Turns out the Ted Williams 200 isn't similar enough to the Winchester 1200 to interchange stocks. If I bust out my dremel, it can be done fairly easily (i hope), but first I am going to see if the front grip bolts right up, if it doesn't I'm just going to return it all and put my pistol grip plans on hold..If I end up going at it myself I'll try and post the outcome.

aroundlsu
May 23, 2008, 04:01 PM
I just recently took a three day shotgun class from Louis Awerbuck. Several of the guys had tacti-cool pistol grip shotguns and stocks. By the second day, one guy had drove back home 2 hours each way to get a normal stock. Another guy had cut his face on the cool stock. Another guy couldn't reach the safety on the Mossberg 500 which was a PIA since the safety had to be on at the start and end of every drill. Everyone agreed by the third day: Pistol grips suck.

mellow_c
May 23, 2008, 04:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with shooting clays with a pistol grip, especially if it has a butt stock with a pistol grip like an AR rifle. People who think that it's a bad idea to shoot clays like that are just saying that because they are used to their regular rifle stock shotguns. It's actually quite a different feel with the pistol grip, and unless you can go between the two styles freely, your gona find that one or the other makes it easier for you

I can consistently hit clays with my 18" 870 with pistol grip only (no butt stock) and I have alot of fun doing it. It's not about your Stock, it's about your front sight, and getting the sweet shot.

Although I'd agree that the pistol grip front grips are pretty much worthless. Unless you already have a pistol grip with butt stock and you just want the most "movie tactical" looking shotgun you can get. They might be slightly useful for supper close quarters combat, but not anything else.