PDA

View Full Version : If it's not one thing it's another...

Full-choke
May 19, 2008, 10:03 AM
I finally, after nearly 6 months of waiting, received my TC Custom Shop Encore barrel this morning. I have been looking forward to finally getting out and shooting the 6mm Rem since January. With the barrel coming in I called my local shop to see if they had my rings I ordered. Sadly, they don't...both suppliers are out! :mad:

I swear everything that has to be ordered on this entire batch of gear has been back-ordered from the beginning. So now the question is do I go ahead and compromise and get another set of rings or do I just wait even longer for the rings I want? I'm stuck because I want to shoot this rifle SOOOOOOO bad but I also want it to be the rifle of my dreams...

F-C

UniversalFrost
May 19, 2008, 10:36 AM
well for rings I recommend Warne. They are excellent and even though they run about $30 per set I really have had zero problems with them.

On another note, why did you wait so long for the T/C custom shop? They did an encore heavy barrel in 218 bee for me in about a month last year (that includes the shipping time).

Might also want to check the auctions and of course midwayusa.com natchezss.com and teh other gun forums. Maybe somebody already has a base and rings they would sell ya. I would normally sell you a base and rings (T/C) I have laying around, but I just picked up another encore basic 7mm-08 wooden stocked with an extra 209x50call stocked barrel so i am actually gonna be short on bases and rings myself.

Let me know if you find a set and where because I would be interested as well.

JOE

Wayfarin'Stranger
May 19, 2008, 11:41 AM
Wait it out brother....you'll only be disappointed if you compromise.

The wait will also make it that much better once you do get it finished.

Full-choke
May 19, 2008, 12:27 PM
As for the custom shop barrel...don't get me started on that rant, there is no degree to how pissed I was last week. :mad::mad::mad: The normal wait time was 8-10 weeks, they dicked up my first one and put me in the back of the line. All I have heard since mid-March was another two weeks or so and I finally called and chewed them out something fierce...in my hands today fianlly!

As far as rings go I have checked MidwayUSA...out, Cabela's doesn't carry 'em, My local shop's two suppliers don't have 'em, SWFA has them at about twice the cost of MidwayUSA. I'm stuck, I really wanted those rings because I have a gorgeous Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x50 that I don't want to mark up. (It is the old gloss blue finish that they don't make anymore) My local gunshop said something about Leupold which I know are hand-lapped and he has Ironsighters in stock (but I have never been thrilled with those rings at all).

I really want to take this rifle out shooting this weekend...I'm kind of stuck :(

F-C

Full-choke
May 19, 2008, 12:40 PM
Anyone know anything about the Millett Angle-Loc rings? They look pretty decent but I'm afraid they might dig into the finish on the scope. Any reviews at all would be helpful?!?!

F-C

taylorce1
May 19, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hate to say it but if your not willing to compromise on the rings you will just have to suck it up and wait or pay the extra and get the rings from SWFA. I would want to shoot it as well if I had waited as long as you have, and probably would shell out the extra money for the rings from who ever had them in stock. That is just me thought, can't tell you how to spend your money.

mikejonestkd
May 19, 2008, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hear of your wait for the barrel, and now the issue with the rings.

It is odd to me since all my dealings ( three custom barrels and a break installation ) with TC/ fox ridge outfitters have been 100%

Consider burris zee rings too...they are well made.

Full-choke
May 19, 2008, 01:06 PM
mikejones,

That's what I want is the Burris Signature Zee Rings...nobody has 'em!!! :( I really want the rings with the insert to protect the finish on the scope. This entire thing is going to be dang near lux grade and I would like to keep it that way...

F-C

UniversalFrost
May 19, 2008, 01:20 PM
WARNE RINGS!

Just don't over torque any ring and you won't have to worry about the ring marks. Also, believe it or not walmart might have the rings. I know my local wally world used to carry them until they decided gun accessories weren't important and instead have a whole section of air soft and bb guns now :barf:

Anyway, if you lapp your rings with a bit of lapping compount and a steel dowel you will be good to go on any rig.

Also did you check midsouth?

Full-choke
May 20, 2008, 09:31 AM
I took option two and opted for Leupold Rings and a base. My shop has Stainless Dual-Dovetail rings and a one piece base on order. Looks like they should be in Thursday which means I get to go shooting this weekend!!! I'm so excited I can't hardly wait. As soon as I get the scope mounted I will take some really good pictures and post them. This gun is going to look beautiful!!! :D:D:D

F-C