PDA

View Full Version : Winchester dead yet?

T.A.Sharps
May 5, 2008, 03:58 AM
I've heard that Winchester was going out of business a while ago now. Is this really true, or is someone else picking up the name?

When I first heard about it I figured you wouldn't find many new Winchesters on the market by now?

Martyn4802
May 5, 2008, 04:02 AM
New Winchester Model 70 rifles are being produced in South Carolina and will hit the streets in June of this year.

Martyn

TMG 57
May 5, 2008, 06:40 AM
Is there any confirmation that they are still on schedule for the June introduction date? I haven't seen any reviews yet.

Lawyer Daggit
May 5, 2008, 06:50 AM
Are they to be marketed as a 'Winchester'? I understood the rights to the Winchester name were almost up.

wjkuleck
May 5, 2008, 06:51 AM
I've heard that Winchester was going out of business a while ago now.

"Winchester" went out of business oh, twenty years ago? The Olin Corporation, owners of Winchester, sold the Winchester factory in New Haven, CT and licensed the Winchester brand name for firearms to a new entity, "US Repeating Arms Co." (USRA), via a leveraged buyout to New Haven management. Olin has retained the Winchester brand name for ammunition and continues to manufacture Winchester-branded ammo. USRA went bankrupt at least once (Chapter 11), and had been purchased by Fabrique Nationale of Herstal, Belgium. After struggling with the New Haven plant for years, FN finally threw in the towel and closed the New Haven plant.

FN, meanwhile, had been manufacturing the M16 for the US Government in Columbia, SC. FN is the sole supplier of M16s, just as Colt is for M4s. FN also makes M240s at the plant in SC. A number of years ago FN set up a subsidiary, FNH (FN-Herstal), in Columbia to manufacture weapons for the police market. Their first product was the original FN Special Polce Rifle (SPR), essentially a Model 70 short-action sourced from New Haven combined with an M240 chrome-lined barrel and a synthetic stock from I misremember whom. After manufacturing some 400 SBRs, FHN gave up on them for the time being because their scrap rate was too high.

When FN closed the New Haven plant, speculation arose as to whom, if anyone, would be licensed by Olin to use the Winchester name for firearms, as USRA's license expired a year after the New Haven plant closed. This past year the speculation ended when FN announced they had acquired the license directly and would begin manufacturing Winchester-branded products again. FIrst up is the Winchester Model 70 controlled-feed rifle, with improved trigger. Other models are following, for example the Winchester "Fast Action" pump shotgun (formerly the 1300). The price point for this, $295, indicates for me that it may be made overseas. I've heard Turkey, but have not confirmed it. Turkey, BTW, is the up-and-coming small arms supplier, with Remington, Armalite, Kimber & others sourcing product from Turkish arms factories.

So the king (Winchester) is dead, long live the king!

Regards,

Walt

TheManHimself
May 5, 2008, 07:42 AM
What wjkuleck says is correct, with one minor exception. FN Herstal is the main company based in Belgium; the US branch in SC is FN Manufacturing LLC.

wjkuleck
May 5, 2008, 08:50 AM
Yes, FN Herstal is the "mother ship" in Liege, but check the web site, FN USA. (http://www.fnhusa.com/); you'll find that there are two corporate idenities in the USA, FN USA and FN Manufacturing:

FNH USA LAW ENFORCEMENT & COMMERCIAL
FNH USA MILITARY
FN MANUFACTURING, LLC

Regards,

Walt

JWT
May 5, 2008, 09:21 AM
I believe FN also owns and manufactures Browning guns. I know Browning and FN use the same repair facility in Missouri.

DMK
May 5, 2008, 09:33 AM
This past year the speculation ended when FN announced they had acquired the license directly and would begin manufacturing Winchester-branded products again.
FN making Winchesters now? That's not a bad thing is it? FN seems to make some pretty decent quality firearms.

Man, I hope they make a new 1894 lever action.

jakeswensonmt
May 5, 2008, 11:04 AM
So who is making all that WWB that I buy?

Wulfmann
May 5, 2008, 11:06 AM
Our M1A Abrams battle tanks have Rheinmetal 120MM guns (same company that made them for Tiger and Panthers in WWII) and the H&K416 is the preferred weapon in Iraq for the 223 and FN is Winchester.

I don't blame the military for wanting the best but if my history is right this era is the declining one of empires past.

When the great American arms makers names are owned and operated by former enemies or competitors from abroad that signals something for our future

Anyone else feel like a 5th century Roman about now???

Wulfmann

stevelyn
May 5, 2008, 12:26 PM
So who is making all that WWB that I buy?

Olin Corporation in East Alton, IL. Like FN, they license the Winchester name to print on the box.

Anyone else feel like a 5th century Roman about now???

Yes, and Rome is definitely in decline...........from within. :mad:

Coolmojo
May 5, 2008, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't be to hard on FN owning Winchester. They are from what I can see kinda the Toyota of the gun industry. Foreign owned but more loyal to America then most of the American companies. They also have a history of working with John Browning...can't be to bad when ya kept that kind of company.

chow chow
May 5, 2008, 01:20 PM
Fn makes better weapons than WInchester. All the more the better as they take over the company but sad it has to end this way. Semper Fidelis.

Lawyer Daggit
May 5, 2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for bringing me up to date on the Winchester saga.

DPris
May 5, 2008, 01:54 PM
Olin doesn't license the Winchester name for their ammo production, Olin OWNS the Winchester name outright & produces all domestic Winchester-branded ammo. Some Win ammo is also produced overseas.
It's my understanding from Browning/Winchester people that Browning bought limited-term licensing rights from Olin for Winchester-marked firearms production to allow domestic production and foreign importation as a subsidiary of FNH, rather than FNH buying the licensing directly.
Either way, production in the Carolina plant should be a good thing, quality-wise.
It's a wait & see.
Denis

T.A.Sharps
May 5, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'll have to remember this when I'm talking to someone that wants to buy a Winchester based on its classic American brand.

When its really just a "W" and an "R" with some letters between them to sell off.

Not saying FN is bad, but there is something wrong with buying a Winchester, and the money goes to Belgium.

20 years they will all probably be manufactured in China anyway.

tplumeri
May 5, 2008, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE]When the great American arms makers names are owned and operated by former enemies or competitors from abroad[QUOTE]

and that surprises you? check out the majority ownership of property in some of our major cities (new york, sanfrancisco......).
Just like the decline of the roman empire, couldnt protect their borders....
think about it.
tom

308sc
May 5, 2008, 03:11 PM
yep those new model 70s are being produced 8 minutes away from my house!

TheManHimself
May 5, 2008, 04:27 PM
20 years they will all probably be manufactured in China anyway.

Sadly, rifles and ammunition are one of the few manufactured goods that are actually difficult to import from China; a shame, since that's about the only thing the commies make well.

wjkuleck
May 5, 2008, 04:41 PM
If US content is important to you...S, Inc. pistols come from Croatia (XD) and Brazil (1911, though some models are made here from Brazilian parts), Armalite pistols from Turkey, S, Inc. M1A receivers were cast in Canada (not certain where they are being cast now), Remington has its Turkish shotguns & rifles, and Serbian Mauser (Model 798)...

Ruger at this point stands alone among the full-line majors as being all US-made. We're (Fulton Armory (http://www.fulton-armory.com/)) kinda proud that our M14, FAR-15 and Titan FAR.308 receivers are all made right here in the USA.

Regards,

Walt