PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions for factory shells

xm21
May 3, 2008, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know where to find an online reference that has SAAMI specs for shotgun shells.The only place I have found is in the Lyman reloading manual and I do not have one of those.I have been able to find info on chamber pressure specs,but no specs on dimensions of the hulls and bases.:confused:

oneounceload
May 3, 2008, 09:11 PM
what are you trying to do??

xm21
May 3, 2008, 10:07 PM
Find out what the rim diameter should be on a factory loaded 20 gauge shotshell.

olddrum1
May 5, 2008, 01:04 AM
I hate to guess but you would not be having problems with 20 gauge shells loading into an auto or pump would you?

xm21
May 5, 2008, 03:38 PM
Yes olddrum1 thats it.The shells will barely go only go into mag with force.And from reading every shotgun site I can find on the net the shells exhibit signs of the collet that sizes the base is going down too far and flattening the rim a little,making the rim thinner and wider than it should be.It would be handy to find a place that had the specs on factory ammo,such as diameter of the base,rim,and plastic hull on factory shells.Thanks

oneounceload
May 5, 2008, 03:53 PM
Is this happening with multiple brands of ammo, or just one?

xm21
May 5, 2008, 04:20 PM
Just one, 2003 vintage AA's.They have the symptoms of reloads that need the sizing collet adjusted(rims mashed flatter and with larger dia)that has been described on reloading sites I have looked at,but were purchased new in the box.I have searched the net and found no dimensions with the exception of the .410,which was found in several different places that discussed making shell for it out of .45 long Colt cases.

RoscoeC
May 5, 2008, 04:41 PM
I am looking for the same information, but for 12 ga. I think your approach is right on. Find the dimension and tolerance, and see if the shells are in compliance. If not, then figure out why.

But first and foremost is to determine if there is really a problem.

The SAAMI site lists the information for sale, of course. I have been reffered to the Hornady shot shell reloading manual, but haven't gotten my hands on one yet. If I find the info, I will post it.

xm21
May 5, 2008, 04:50 PM
RoscoeC,the gun was disassembled and no corrosion was found on the throat og the mag tube where they hang up.The follower is also clean.All other shells I have will freely fit through with no problems.The AA's will only go through with force,much more force than a magazine spring can exert.The SAAMI site was the first I visited.

oneounceload
May 5, 2008, 07:30 PM
if it's just the one brand or batch, sounds like the ammo has issues, not the gun, so that's a good thing from that standpoint.....

olddrum1
May 5, 2008, 10:12 PM
http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/shotshellloads.html

You might try this site. From my reloading experience with twenty gauges I have found that if you fire a twenty a number of times with a good load (fast) it will flatten the case so that it does not function in an auto or pump.
Yes these were AA shells produced before 2003. They would work in my over and unders, and side by sides but when it came to running them through my 1100 or 870 they would not feed. I think that you will find that on a lot of reloaders they are not made to size the bottom part of the brass. I would run a case through five to eight reloads shooting clays and then reload one last time for bird hunting. I started having problems and found out that your are right. The bottom of the case had flattened.

You might try the above site. I do not know how accurate he is.

olddrum1
May 5, 2008, 10:13 PM
RoscoeC they have the same informatin for 12 gauges also.

xm21
May 5, 2008, 10:23 PM
Olddrum1,thanks I am heading there after this.By the way one of the things that was said of AA's was that sometimes problems were happening with some over/unders where thin bases on reloaded AA's caused light strikes on the primer of the shell with no discharge,I think it was usually the lower bbl that was affected first.Thanks!

edited to say improperly adjusted sizers caused the thin rims on reloaded AA's as every one was of the opinion that the AA's were great hulls and the factory shells were great also

xm21
May 5, 2008, 10:47 PM
Many thanks olddrum1.I as actually at that site in my search and foolishly left after I saw it was about collectors of antique and rare shells,that ought to teach me a lesson .I was surprised to see that 3'' 12 gauge chambers were 2 thousanths larger than 2 3/4 bases.Anyway thanks for your help!

olddrum1
May 5, 2008, 10:50 PM
xm21 if you get a lite strike on your primer a good place to check is in the primer pocker of your reloader to make sure you have not gotten something under the primer. It seats the primer a little deep.
I do remember something of a shell type that reloaders were having problems with the primer pocket being a little different that normal loads but I cannot recall what it was or which shell it was. With my twentys I just started shooting them in the break open shotguns until they were ratty and worn past redemption. I am glad that I could help with the site. I had something in my reloading room that had all the deminisions printed out but the wife decided to down size my room and put my daughter in the reloading room in that she is growing so fast and now I am in her room and cannot find a thing.